Sport bucket & child car seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Cheers!

BTW you have a rockin' car, that Sport Bucket seat in brown looks great.
Bruce, what child seats are you using in the back?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

So I decided to take a trip to the dealer to find out for myself if a booster seat will fit in a Sport Bucket. They had a white Spyder there with sport buckets so I brought my sons booster seat in and placed it in the passenger seat. It fit like it was meant to be. The base sat perfectly flat into the seat bottom and the arms of the booster seat weren't close to the sides nor did they get in the way of the seatbelt.

For reference I have a Britax Starriser seat which has a removable back.

I did ask the salesman to find out if the airbag will disable when a booster is in use.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Bruce, what child seats are you using in the back?
I too am running Britax Starriser's, I've four at home, three are Porsche branded items (made by Britax) with a 356/teddy bear motif and the other is just a denim Britax item. Indeed the back rests are detachable.

So according to Marine Blue a child that just requires a height boost should be OK in the Sport Buckets as a child's weight, if below the threshold, would disable the airbags. A child that requires a LATCH attached seat is out of luck in the front.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the warning applies to the front buckets (I have them, too). I haven't checked the back seats for LATCH mounts (it seems that it would since the back seats are common to all Carreras). Maybe it's an issue of the CF/plastic splintering?

Interesting question. I just ran into a guy at Palo Alto airport a couple months back who has the Recaro child seat in the back of his Turbo (not Sport Buckets)...
Old 08-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
So I decided to take a trip to the dealer to find out for myself if a booster seat will fit in a Sport Bucket. They had a white Spyder there with sport buckets so I brought my sons booster seat in and placed it in the passenger seat. It fit like it was meant to be. The base sat perfectly flat into the seat bottom and the arms of the booster seat weren't close to the sides nor did they get in the way of the seatbelt.

For reference I have a Britax Starriser seat which has a removable back.

I did ask the salesman to find out if the airbag will disable when a booster is in use.
Well so much for speculation! Glad you were able to work it out first hand.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:40 AM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Hi, so it's seems like Britax Starriser is the solution...problem is there are not available at Britax.com. Are they not longer manufacturing them? Anyone has one for sale?

Thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by fer2367
Hi, so it's seems like Britax Starriser is the solution...problem is there are not available at Britax.com. Are they not longer manufacturing them? Anyone has one for sale?

Thanks
eBay my friend! Last one I saw, Porsche branded item, sold for over $300, it looked brand new but came out of a 2000 Boxster.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Watch for them on ebay and here on Rennlist. Maybe post a WTB, I'm sure many have them sitting around and don't need them anymore.

It's the only seat the fit nicely into the backseat of the 928 as well. The sides and bottom are also smooth so it doesn't damage the leather.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruce R
I too am running Britax Starriser's, I've four at home, three are Porsche branded items (made by Britax) with a 356/teddy bear motif and the other is just a denim Britax item. Indeed the back rests are detachable.
On the Britax site they state that This seat should no longer be in use as the 6 year product expiration date has passed for the Starriser. The Starriser Comfy still seems to be OK, for the moment.

I think I'll have to look hard to find a decent one or maybe an alternative.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kuhan
On the Britax site they state that This seat should no longer be in use as the 6 year product expiration date has passed for the Starriser. The Starriser Comfy still seems to be OK, for the moment.

I think I'll have to look hard to find a decent one or maybe an alternative.
I could see it being a problem if it was made of foam but it's all hard plastic and they probably post it for liability reasons.

If they made a new version with the same small footprint I wouldn't have a problem buying one but as far as I know, they don't.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Kuhan
Racer

I think I'll get the Recaro ProBooster for my 4yo son. I'll need to find something else for my 2yo daughter.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Great information, guys - and thanks for all the legwork Marine Blue! I'm still a ways off from pulling the trigger on anything, so these are important data points for helping me to consider options and timing as my son should be able to use a booster starting in 2011. I know he would love to ride up front, but I would love the sport buckets so we'll just have to figure out what is possible and what makes sense.

Quick Reply: Sport bucket & child car seats