Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - How do I turn off flashers after accident?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 AM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - How do I turn off flashers after accident?

Maybe someone on the east cost will be up soon and can advise me. Tow truck just deposited my car in my driveway after crash. Car ahead of me spun out and was sideways across lanes. I swerved but couldn't avoid him entirely. The damage is quite bad, airbag deployed, and flashers activated automatically. Anyone know how to get them to stop? I won't be able to get it into the shop til the morning. I should be thankful I was not much hurt - just wrists cut a and a little sore from, I assume, the airbag deployment. But very sad about the car.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 AM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about the accident, at least you are OK.

Did you try pulling the fuse?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 AM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Thanks much. I tried pulling several fuses that appeared in the list to be associated with lights of any kind, but none stopped the flashers.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about your misfortune...Sounds like it won't be driven anytime soon.
Just disconnect the battery.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 AM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Good point, thanks.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by aka_Sven
Maybe someone on the east cost will be up soon and can advise me. Tow truck just deposited my car in my driveway after crash. Car ahead of me spun out and was sideways across lanes. I swerved but couldn't avoid him entirely. The damage is quite bad, airbag deployed, and flashers activated automatically. Anyone know how to get them to stop? I won't be able to get it into the shop til the morning. I should be thankful I was not much hurt - just wrists cut a and a little sore from, I assume, the airbag deployment. But very sad about the car.
Bad news. Glad to hear your injuries are not serious.

When my 08 Cayman S hit and air bags deployed and flashers on I can't be sure how I turned them off -- one is in shock when a brand new (25 days old) car destroyed with no warning -- but I seem to remember I just pushed the flasher button.

I did not pull any fuses or do anything else and the flasher did not continue to blink cause even after several weeks of no use the engine would still start.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:21 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, disconnect battery. Might be some other stuff wrong too which if it discharges battery fully will ruin it.

I'm also very sorry to hear your sad story
Old 08-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Disconnect the battery--but DO NOT CLOSE that front trunk or you will have to revert to a mechanical method to reopen it.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Thanks very much for the sympathies. And for the good advice. I did disconnect the battery and then soon realized - not yet having the benefit of Dan's advice - that I had closed the trunk lid and it would not open. Rats. It went this morning by flatbed to Avio coach craft.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:29 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Very sorry for what happened to you Sven. It is very unfortunate and you can get easily distracted by this event just thinking about the misfortune on a day to day basis when doing other chores including driving. So please take care, be thankful that you are okay and try hard to concentrate and not lose focus. Good luck with everything.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:59 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry about your accident. Hope you and your car are 110% again very soon.

Were the hazards (all 4) flashing or just the driver's side or passanger's side? Remember, we have European style parking flashers (left side or right side) that are activated by the turn signal stalk, when the headlights are off and key out of the ignition. May have been that.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
911FM
Racer

Glad you are OK. Good luck with repairs. You'll drive it (or another one) again soon.

FM

Quick Reply: Help - How do I turn off flashers after accident?