Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Usage of daytime xenons or DRL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Driving around with your fogs on for visibility or as an alternate to DRL's is just plain wrong. Fog lights are for foggy conditions with limited visibility, if its clear, fogs should not be used.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

OK.....I'll ask....do 997.2s have fogs?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by GreggT
Nope. At least not the Coupe's, Cab's or Targa's. Not sure about the Turbo's.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Isn't that interesting.
I guess I've never seen much written on the subject....probably missed it.
The current headlamp system is pretty incredible....anytime someone rides in my wife's cab they're amazed at how the forward illumination is 'tuned' to illuminate almost nothing higher than 3' or so.
For someone who has never seen it before.....it's wierd.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Yes - those are the LED DRLs (far more visible and illuminating than the old fogs). It has 1 red fog in the rear too.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Yes - those are the LED DRLs (far more visible and illuminating than the old fogs). It has 1 red fog in the rear too.
Wait.....you are saying yes they do?.......and they are on all the time?......and LED?........what?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Wait.....you are saying yes they do?.......and they are on all the time?......and LED?........what?
On the 997.2 PAG replaced the conventional fogs with a bar of LEDs which serve as DRLs and fogs. They can be on all the time (default) or can be switched off.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:07 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am familiar w/the DTRL strip......and also the strip when full headlamps are engaged.

You sure that either of those actually qualify as "fogs"?
I just assumed the engineering of the beam-angle on the current headlamps was so incredible....traditional "fogs" were deemed unnecesary.....but what do I know.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I am familiar w/the DTRL strip......and also the strip when full headlamps are engaged.

You sure that either of those actually qualify as "fogs"?.
That's my understanding.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
Those LED running lights are in the location where older models had fog lights installed, but those are NOT fog lamps. Fog lamps, like headlights, would have a much more significant light output (equivalent to a low beam strength of illumination) and be focused. A quick test will confirm that. Drive at night in a dark neighborhood street with your 'DRL's on.. and see if you can see the road surface out to 50+ yards in front of your car at a brightness equal to headlight illumination. Fog lights provide that, but from a lighting position lower on the car's front end, to cut under the fog and provide less bounce-back reflection, thus obscuring your visibility rather than helping.

The LED's are just broad spread defensive lighting, they are not designed to illuminate anything for the driver of the car to see, but for others to see the car. There are LED illumination systems designed to replace other headlights, but they are tightly grouped LEDs and include focusing systems such as parabolic mirror surfaces and lenses.

Agreed, there is a fog tail light on the 997.2. And that does work in the traditional fog mode, that is, its is very bright and also, should not be engaged unless there is thick fog/rain/snow (with visibility of under about 50m in Germany, misuse gets you a 40€ fine and 1 point on your record).

The point of that is its as bright as a brake light, and if its on it confuses following drivers about whether you have your brakes on and one bake light out, or not... it becomes much more likely that drives behind you will not notice when you do step on the brakes, if you've been driving the whole time with your rear-fog on.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone driven one of the new Audis with LED headlights?
As far as I know they are the only ones doing headlights.
LED are great for being seen , but for actually illuminating , I think they are still a work in progres
Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

$7K R8 option.......for that they better do more than just look cute.

And the 918 Spyder's interesting lamp array....must be LED or Flux Capacitors in there.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Minok
Those LED running lights are in the location where older models had fog lights installed, but those are NOT fog lamps. Fog lamps, like headlights, would have a much more significant light output (equivalent to a low beam strength of illumination) and be focused. A quick test will confirm that. Drive at night in a dark neighborhood street with your 'DRL's on.. and see if you can see the road surface out to 50+ yards in front of your car at a brightness equal to headlight illumination. Fog lights provide that, but from a lighting position lower on the car's front end, to cut under the fog and provide less bounce-back reflection, thus obscuring your visibility rather than helping.

The LED's are just broad spread defensive lighting, they are not designed to illuminate anything for the driver of the car to see, but for others to see the car. There are LED illumination systems designed to replace other headlights, but they are tightly grouped LEDs and include focusing systems such as parabolic mirror surfaces and lenses.

Agreed, there is a fog tail light on the 997.2. And that does work in the traditional fog mode, that is, its is very bright and also, should not be engaged unless there is thick fog/rain/snow (with visibility of under about 50m in Germany, misuse gets you a 40€ fine and 1 point on your record).

The point of that is its as bright as a brake light, and if its on it confuses following drivers about whether you have your brakes on and one bake light out, or not... it becomes much more likely that drives behind you will not notice when you do step on the brakes, if you've been driving the whole time with your rear-fog on.
I'm sure you are correct. My comment came from reading that the conventional fogs were no longer needed in the new 997.2. The LED bar though has a pretty good reach just by itself.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok

Agree. It should be noted that the LED's are actually quite bright in DRL mode. They provide much more light than regular parking lights and could be used in a pinch if the main headlights were to fail, though as you point out they don't have near the output of fogs. In any event, though, once the headlights are activated, the bright 6 LED output in the lower segment is turned off and only a thin strip in the middle of the lens with 1 LED in a "light guide" is illuminated. Porsche calls it a "position" light. This light is really just a style feature and has no practical benefit. Anyway, you're right, no fogs in the front.

Quick Reply: Usage of daytime xenons or DRL?