Sponsored by:

Cleaning Discolored Exhaust Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWtoo
Thanks, was it easy to get the tips off? Just loosen the bolt and do they pull right off? Easy to align back?

Thanks, I'll try the Never Dull.

Jon
IMO, leave them on and clean as best you can with a marine-grade stainless steel polish/cleaner.

There's nothing worse than to be behind a car with mis-aligned exhaust pipes/tips.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
i want to do that and am in MD also...where did you get them done?
Ask them what they do to "ceramic coat" them. I'm still convinced it's a fancy word for a basically DIY "spray paint."
Old 08-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey in MD
Another suggestion....have your existing tips ceramic coated mat black as I did on my meteor grey pcar. Looks outstanding and it's not expensive, about $50 for the pair.

Harvey
so they can look dirty all the time?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:14 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those tips look shot and completely neglected. Can't imagine any amount of metal polish and steel wool will bring them back to life to a level you'd be really happy with.

Spend $200/$300 and get a new set and be done with it. R&R is simple, 10 mins per side max. 13mm bolt IIRC. You can adjust them easily and even angle them upward for a more aggressive look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item2a07a3f0b0
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
LlBr
Drifting

To inspire the application of simple "elbow grease:" I believe these are the "after" photos of a comparison to missing photos of very dirty "before" tips:
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have great results using wheel cleaner on my 997.2 tips. I left it soak in while i do the tires and rims and they clean up like new.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
Those tips look shot and completely neglected. Can't imagine any amount of metal polish and steel wool will bring them back to life to a level you'd be really happy with.

Spend $200/$300 and get a new set and be done with it. R&R is simple, 10 mins per side max. 13mm bolt IIRC. You can adjust them easily and even angle them upward for a more aggressive look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item2a07a3f0b0
The ebay advertisement says the tips will not fit on S models. Did you have any trouble putting them on your S car?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ i have the PSE tips. not the schnell. surpised these won't fit an S. center outlet off the tips look to mate up to a standard 3.8 non PSE muffler....
Old 08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
i want to do that and am in MD also...where did you get them done?
Jeff is the only one there, so leave him a message if he does not answer. Also, he will some times wait for a few days for other items to coat at the same time, so it could be a drop off on Monday and pick up on Friday. I believe, you may also mail the tips to him.

They were coated at:

Jeff Gosnell, Owner
Maryland Performance Coatings (MPC)
5360 C Enterprise St.
Eldersburg, MD 21784

Good luck,

Harvey
Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's such a pleasure to know that there are those that are as **** as I am.
I use a piece of terry cloth about 3 inches wide and 24 inches long. Wet completely then top with a good helping of Barkeepers Friend.
Polish like you would polish the toes of shoes. (Rapid back and fourth)
Old 08-03-2010, 12:53 AM
johnwb
Racer

I have removed mine to do a super cleaning. They are pretty easy to remove. Just the one nut. Getting them back on requires a bit of patience and attention to detail to make sure they are lined up just right. Make sure the clamp has actually expanded enough to easily slip the tip back on the pipe.

0000 steel wool and chrome polish might be required to get your tips cleaned up.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnwb
Getting them back on requires a bit of patience and attention to detail to make sure they are lined up just right.
See? That's what bugs me; the cost benefit analysis If they were my two front teeth I'd be really careful and do the job 110% thoroughly. Since they are almost under the car, are the exhaust system, I just do the job as best I can without removing them. Of course do what makes you feel best and enjoy most; just sayin' it's something to consider when you have fifty other things to deal with on a Saturday.

OTOH, my engine compartment is spotless. I detail that all the time. LOL.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 PM
johnwb
Racer

LlBr,
I agree with you. Mine were in pretty rough shape and neither were lined up just right. So I took them off and did a detailed job. Since then I do what someone else said and sort of polish them like a shoe shine. Not worth too much time.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 PM
McCulla
Pro

I have an 05 C2, with the single, sort of rectangular outlet. They looked like hell, so I took the easy way out. Took them off, used decreasing sized grit metal sand paper, down to a couple of sizes of steel wool to get a nice even, roughened surface. Degreased and using high temperature (Rustoleum, it says 2000 degrees) primer and flat black, painted them. No more polish worries. Looks sort of "rat", but good with my black car (IMHO). I have to qualify that opinion by saying that I liked the flat black Fuchs on my first 1980 911SC, so I like the contrast of shine vs flat. Literally no upkeep now...personal taste, obviously.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted about this a while back when I had a similar problem. I tried metal polishes without success. I ended up using Barkeepers Friend which is used to clean baked-on pots and stainless steel appliances and is available at Williams Sonoma and other kitchen supply stores. The results were amazing without using steel wool, sandpaper, etc. - only a cloth. I made a bit of a paste with water because it comes in a powder form.

Hope that helps.

David

Quick Reply: Cleaning Discolored Exhaust Tips?