Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the average person know one 911 type from another?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first bought the porker, one of my colleagues hurriedly called another one who works for me and told him that I had bought a Ferrari!

Everyone who sees it assumes it's new... It's only nuts like us who can recognise the models, numbers, years etc...
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Most don't know-

My wife and I just figured out I've had 9 different Porsches in the last 15 yrs including 2 new turbos and all of them have been white. Boring, I know but for some reason, I love white cars. However, it's been to my benefit since I don't get any sh*t from neighbors, patients and friends about getting another car- no one ever notices, unless they're a serious carguy- then we have something to talk about and they don't hate me (at least not to my face). Maybe that's the beauty of the 911- timeless, the epitome of the ultimate sportscar (even though I now have the BS), something many young men aspire to. Who cares if they know which it is- we do. Except sometimes I see a new one like an America Roadster that is perfect and wow, never seen one like that. And , my neighbor would have said "is that a Porch". Sometimes it's good to be not so recognizable (except for us), like a secret club or handshake.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is my story and lessons learned...

I am an avid reader of a magazine published in the UK called 911 Performance World (excellent publication, no affiliation blah blah) which I have subscribed to for the last 4 years or so. I absorb the monthly issue as soon as it arrives. My two boys, now 10 and 8, read (scan I should say, as they can now barely read the English, and 4 years ago they could barely read Greek, let alone English!) them over and over, all issues all the time.
They have been very well educated on the latest models, because they can tell them apart, and have asked me myriads of questions, mostly about which is faster and why the GT2 is a turbo while the GT3 isnt etc... They know all the big tuners, can tell a Gemballa from a Techart etc etc.
So the story goes like this... I got my C4S in 2007, picked it up one Friday evening. I had arranged everything in secrecy, the family knew nothing about it. As usual, my wife asked me to pick up my older son from a friend's house at 8.30pm, so I had to leave work, rush to the other side of town, dump one car, get the Porsche and come back to pick up my son. I walk into his friends house, of course he doesnt want to leave. So I whisper "lets go I have a surprise for you...". He asks "is it a gift for me?" and I say "no its a gift for me which you will like". He didnt like that very much, but he is ready to go so we walk out. We turn around the corner, which I have parked a bright cobalt blue beauty. Mind you he is 7 at the time. He looks at the car, its parked with nothing around it. He looks at me I look at him. I smile...

... and he starts crying!!!!!!!!!! and mutters "...its not a Turbo..."

Yes I did get angry at the time, but that is besides the point.

Lessons learned:
My son is spoiled rotten.
He can tell a C4S from a turbo, just by looking at it form the side, and the wheels.
Thus I have done my part in educating the next generation.

Actions taken:
Finally got a Turbo a few weeks ago.
He hasn't seen it yet as he has been on vacation! Suits him right this time! :-))
Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Great story! Kids are brutally honest.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:04 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

No!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember my first drive, as a teenager, in a borrowed 914. Belonged to a friend who wanted my Triumph for the day so we swapped. Another friend and I got the idea to drive it to Big Bear (here in So Cal) to enjoy the twisty roads. Clutch went out in San Bernardino. Guy in the gas station opened the front, then the back, and then declared, "Whar's the engeen?" Turned out it shifted up okay without the clutch, so limped home. True story.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I was in Cleveland not that long ago. A grown man at the gas station took a long look (from the front of the car!), smiles really big, hands on hips, nods his head, and.... (wait for it)... "that's a badass ferrari man".

What could I do but try to conceal a somewhat empathetic and concerned look and say "thank you". I don't want to sully the reputation of Ferrari owners by being a dick.

Quick Reply: Does the average person know one 911 type from another?