Bay Area alignment recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:23 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Bay Area alignment recommendation

Hi All,

My car has started to pull to the right and the steering feels less tight over the last 500 miles. I think it might be time for an alignment. About 8K miles on the car.

All I want is the car to be set to Porsche specs, no track settings needed. Should I pay Carlsen or another dealer $350 or have any of you used Custom Alignment for the factory recommended setup and how much was it?

I think the benefit of doing dealer vs. custom alignment is that they might be able to address/identify any suspension issues that might be contributing.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Hi All,

My car has started to pull to the right and the steering feels less tight over the last 500 miles. I think it might be time for an alignment. About 8K miles on the car.

All I want is the car to be set to Porsche specs, no track settings needed. Should I pay Carlsen or another dealer $350 or have any of you used Custom Alignment for the factory recommended setup and how much was it?

I think the benefit of doing dealer vs. custom alignment is that they might be able to address/identify any suspension issues that might be contributing.

Thanks for your input.
I had my 996 Turbo aligned at Rector Porsche in Burlingame. The job was very good. The tech was very thorough.

There is a benefit of having the work done at the dealer in that the tech will use the opportunity to inspect the car for any signs of fluid leaks or other problems. I gently ask the service advisor to request the tech perform some kind of road worthiness inspection while the car is in the air jsut out of habit but I know it is unnecessary cause a good tech will not need this reminder and my experience with the techs at Rector is they are quite good.

With a new car I like to get a tech's eyeballs on the car often during warranty and quite often when the car is new.

I have used Custom Alignment in Mountain View -- been several years though -- for my Boxster's alignment (and before that another car) and Custom Alignment is a superb place to get an alignment.

Not sure how much cheaper -- if any -- it will be that Rector will charge you and you have the added burden of taking the car all the way to Mountain View when Rector is closer.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used both dealers (BTW, Gunter at Porsche of Fremont is a good guy) and Custom Alignment.

There is nothing wrong with dealer's alignment; just that they just do their job, plain and straight.

However, whenever I used Custom Alignment, I always learned a thing or two from them. They also put a lot of thoughts (especially if we ask them) on customizing the details & settings to addressing my driving style needs. You will realize how a really good alignment can change the whole characteristic of the car even in daily driving.

Just my thought.

Regards,
Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I have used both dealers (BTW, Gunter at Porsche of Fremont is a good guy) and Custom Alignment.

There is nothing wrong with dealer's alignment; just that they just do their job, plain and straight.

However, whenever I used Custom Alignment, I always learned a thing or two from them. They also put a lot of thoughts (especially if we ask them) on customizing the details & settings to addressing my driving style needs. You will realize how a really good alignment can change the whole characteristic of the car even in daily driving.

Just my thought.

Regards,
My experiences differ. When I had the Turbo in at Rector the tech (I wish I could remember his name) shared with me some of the steps and the reasons behind the steps that are followed during an alignment. I watched as he adjusted one setting, and watched the computer alignment graphic move into the green for the setting and watched at the same time the graphic move into the red for another setting as the first setting's adjustment caused the 2nd to move away from ideal. I then watched as the tech adjusted the 2nd setting to where it should be while of course ensuring the 1st setting remained on the money.

We discussed various alignment scenarios but I opted for just plain old square as a bear street/standard alignment.

This tech told me the car was one of the straightest he's seen, not that Porsche builds bent cars. (Another source of mine tells me Porsche factory assembly/welding jigs/fixtures some of the best and well-maintained in the car industry.)

After I got the car back the transformation was night and day. The car felt much more solid, secure, sure-footed and tire life was where I expected it to be.

My most recent experience at F-J was not been that good. The last time I had the car in an alignment the resulting feel was ok, the car steered ok, there was no sign the car was not aligned properly, but a nasty surprise to me was the rear tires wore out in around 8K miles. After having new tires installed and another alignment done at another dealer, it was found the current alignment was not to spec. And my driving did not knock the alignment out. I might add after this realignment and new tires this set of rear tires lasted 15K miles, the number of miles I expected them to last. Tire wear was even and indicated alignment still ok.

Furthermore, while I watched the F-J tech align my car I saw him bang the spider like wheel alignment mounts against the paint around the wheel openings as he tried to fit them to the wheel.

While I have always gotten along well with Guenter (and I bought the Turbo from at F-J) I do not think I'll be using F-J service again. Prior services were always quite acceptable so I don't know what happened this last time but I'm not willing to risk having my car serviced there again. I'm pretty easily spooked away. Since I drive a lot and have my cars serviced quite frequently quality dependable service is paramount to me continuing to do business with a dealer and its service department.

My experience as Custom Alignment has been quite good. I had the Boxster in for an alignment (and after having new tires fitted) and I was told the car's alignment done (it did need some adjustment but not much) but the rear camber was at its max. allowable. The tech told me he could bring the camber to nominal -- but it would add some cost to the job -- but he told me the additional negative camber would not affect the car's steering, handling, and just as important the tire life. I asked again specifically about tire life and he assured me tire life would not in any way be compromised. I decided to have him leave the rear camber at its high (but still within (barely) factory recognized limits) setting and he was right. The car felt just fine, handled, steered and drove just fine. Tire life was still well within what it has been with other alignments.

Custom Alignment as an indy alignment shop can't be beat is my assessment.

Were it closer than 45+ miles to me I would consider using it for all my car's alignment and tire needs though I suspect the cost difference is not that much between CA and a dealer's service department. My local dealer in Livermore gives me a deal on alignment when I buy tires from it and gives me a good price on tires. And the tire mounting, balancing, and alignment work there can't be faulted.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Hi All,

Thanks for your input.
Did you end up swapping out all the tires? (I dimly remember your vibration/flatspots problem from an earlier thread)
Also, make sure the tire pressure is even on both sides, especially the front.

If you did swap out the tires, I'd go to the dealer - this is the 2nd issue related to wheels/drivetrain and it's worth the peace of mind to have it fixed (especially if its covered under CPO or other warranty)

P.S. When do I get to see your car? Looks sweet in the pictures.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:07 AM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 109 Posts

@winkingchef: nope got them rebalanced and they improved quite a bit. we def have to get together...going on vacation for a few weeks but let's connect when i'm back.

everyone else, thank you for the feedback. i seem to hear consistently + stuff about carlsen vs. rector. $350 is a tough pill to swallow but worth it i guess.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Bum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last alignment was performed at Rector as a "no-cost" include for the 2yr/40k service. Roger has been my point guy and has provided exceptional service for me there. I originally was took my car to Carlsen when I had my "hmm" moment after the 1 year service. Someone had forgotten to replenish the fluid reservoir that is visible when you open the deck lid. I forget what it is for offhand. When an obvious detail is missed, it makes me wonder why I'm driving twice the mileage to get things done. That is not a negative remark on Carlsen, but just my preference to deal with companies as close to home as possible, especially if I'm getting the thorough service I feel I deserve.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Roger Kraus racing in the East Bay is also very good and can identify any suspension issues - but obviously not under warranty.

Quick Reply: Bay Area alignment recommendation