Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 rear quarter dent -- advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 AM
DPorcella
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 997 rear quarter dent -- advice needed!

It finally happened -- a mysterious ding/dent about the size of an oblong half-dollar appeared yesterday on the top of the RR panel of my '09 cabrio. Very unhappy! Very unhappy!

I seem to remember reading here that paintless dent repair cannot be done on the rear quarter panel because of it's 3-dimensionality, and that Porsche's position is that "repair" is improper because the rear quarter is a "structural" element, or something like that.

I did a search for part of a sleepless night, but still didn't find the answer I thought I'd seen here once, although I DID get all the good references for Bay Area paintless ding repair.

Today I start calling around, but I hope someone can shed light on the question of repairing this panel, paintlessly or otherwise. I'm not sure I want to involve my insurance company until I have better info on repair.

Thanks,
Dave in Sant Cruz
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 AM
csorrows
Instructor

I'd be hesitant to involve my insurance company on something as minor as a ding. And yes, I realize it's not "minor" to you, especially if you have to have the panel replaced (it wouldn't be "minor" to me either).

But...I'd be afraid that the deductible plus the chance of my rates going up would be far more than me just paying the cost myself.

As far as the structural rigidity of the panel is concerned, it's hard for me to believe that repairing a surface dent like that would affect the integrity of the panel. I think I'd at least try to have it repaired to see what it looked like. If it doesn't look good, then I'm stuck with replacing the panel anyway, and the only thing I lost was the (relatively inexpensive) cost to try the repair.

Anyway...good luck, and sorry to hear that happened!

EDIT: Any idea what caused it? The size and shape makes me wonder if it was a golf ball. Were you parked close to any golf courses or driving ranges recently?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
PVP997
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not involve my insurance company for a "ding". With respect to dent less repair and structural integrity, I do not think a small dent effects the integrity. Does the car drive differently since the "ding"? I doubt it. Porsche is probably referring to significant quarter panel damage which I can understand.

I think you're only facing a cosmetic issue in fixing the "ding". Contact Steve Kubota (408)233-6133. I've used him numerous times to take out those annoying "dings" that happen when you drive your car. If you send him a picture, I'm sure he will provide an honest assessment on whether he can take the ding out our not.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Can't help you with any recommendations in your area, but I can tell you that it CAN be repaired with paintless dent removal as long as the paint is not damaged or cracked. I had similar dents on both rear "hips" (probably caused by people leaning against the car)and had them fixed for less than $150. The guy I used here in Toronto actually hot glued these disks to the panel and then gently tugs and taps at it until it is gone and never has to access anything from inside or underneath. He then dissolves the glue and gives the area a quick polish with an orbital. I watched him do it and was amazed at how well it worked...absolutely no evidence of ever having a dent there all in under an hour. Phone around in your area as I'm sure there are guys who can do it.
BTW: a ding does not affect the structural integrity of the panel...that's BS. I've seen plenty of Porsche dealers remove dings on brand new cars that were damaged either in compound or in shipping. No need to go to the body shop for something so minor.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DPorcella
It finally happened -- a mysterious ding/dent about the size of an oblong half-dollar appeared yesterday on the top of the RR panel of my '09 cabrio. Very unhappy! Very unhappy!

I seem to remember reading here that paintless dent repair cannot be done on the rear quarter panel because of it's 3-dimensionality, and that Porsche's position is that "repair" is improper because the rear quarter is a "structural" element, or something like that.

I did a search for part of a sleepless night, but still didn't find the answer I thought I'd seen here once, although I DID get all the good references for Bay Area paintless ding repair.

Today I start calling around, but I hope someone can shed light on the question of repairing this panel, paintlessly or otherwise. I'm not sure I want to involve my insurance company until I have better info on repair.

Thanks,
Dave in Sant Cruz
In Santa Cruz you are probably not going to find a proper shop to help you. You will probably have to find one in the Santa Clara valley area, San Jose, or north on the west or east side of the bay.

I can recommend you visit FCC -- Fremont Collision Center -- or give the business a call and ask to speak to Armin. Tell him Marc Warden (03 Arctic Silver Turbo) recommended his shop to you.

Fremont Collision Center
4878 Davenport Place
FREMONT CALIFORNIA, CA 94538
(510) 490-9000

Ask Armin if he can advise you regarding the dent. Or mention where you are and if he can recommend a shop closer to your location.

I seriously doubt the dent or its repair will compromise the structural performance of the rear quarter panel. Furthermore I don't recall hearing or reading anything about any concerns for this. I believe -- have not double-checked this but believe it to be true -- there is even a procedure in the repair manual to replace this panel should it be necessary. Not that this is even a remote possibility in your case. I mention it only to demostrate that even the most critical body panels can be replaced if proper procedures are followed so a removal of a small dent is nothing to worry about.

I've watched paintless dent removal people work -- I see them at a large auto auction facility when I'm there occasionally working their way down lines of vehicles -- and they can do some pretty wonderful things.

I'd strongly urge you to get the car to a highly qualified shop -- I had my 03 Turbo repaired at FCC and there are other good shops in the area though I have no experience with them (save one here in Livermore) -- and get a professional body shop's evaluation of the dent and what it will take to fix it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. I'm a gonna call Matthews-Carlsen in Redwood City and get their input, maybe go by there. It appears that every new car shop uses somebody to repair dings in even brand new cars that happen in shipment. Somebody on this forum had suggested that fact. . .

"EDIT: Any idea what caused it? The size and shape makes me wonder if it was a golf ball. Were you parked close to any golf courses or driving ranges recently?"

No golf course where the incident happened. I'm reluctant to suggest vandalism, but I had inspected the whole car about two hours before parallel parking it on a quiet street (I almost always do a walk-around anytime I park it, unless it's going to make me look like a jerk, and there were no falling tree branches, so I'm gonna leave it as a mystery. Looks like the proverbial "blunt instrument" on a downswing, but who knows?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Overwhelmingly good advice! Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to advise me. I'm taking a tour of the South Bay today to see what can be done.

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
GullwingSL
Track Day

Is the rear quarter or "hip" on a 997 really considered to be a panel? It seems like it is part of the vehicle's frame and thus not easily replaceable. Does anyone have a photo of the rear quarter panel part itself?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Painless dent removal guys are awesome.
I went 3 years looking at 2 quarter sized dings in my old Boxster... then finally decided to take the risk.
The repair looked every bit as good as new. Better then my best expectations.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Originally Posted by DPorcella

Thanks,
Dave in Sant Cruz
contact Luis @ www.lmcartouchup.com he does great work in the bay area, I can personally vouch for the quality of his work, and may come to SC ... he's mobile ... tell him Larry Cable referred you.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Once there is no paint damage this dent should easily be removed by a dent repair outfit. Obviously some operators are better than others but a good operator should remove that dent completely.

I had a dent removed from an the awkward curved drivers door top under the mirror (was in the car when I bought it) and its now untraceable even with my own very critical eyes.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:05 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel your pain Dave. One of the boys playing in the garage caused this ding two days ago.

Had the car at a Dent Wizard the next day. They claim the ding is in a location right above a brace in the quarter panel and he couldn't get to it. Pulled out the rear tail light and and a rubber plug and worked on it for about 30 mins. No luck.

Not giving up easily, I've another outfit coming to the house to work on it. Going to take off the rear wheel and wheel liner and see if there is a better access point.

It's only a car but man it sucks seeing it scarred like this.
Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Ouch that is a pretty deep ding ...

no access from the engine compartment? ... you might have to take the back bumper off?

feel your pain!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

That dent is too deep for a dent man to fix - sorry.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a handle of a shovel fall on my left rear fender the first week of my new 997.2 and took it to the dealer. He had a dent guy doing some things and told me no problem. I went and had luch for an hour and when I went back to the dealer it was done. Not any notice at all that I had a dent. I mean it was a 1.5 inch long dent and the repair was perfect. I still on occasion take a look and it is perfect. I have no clue how they did this in one hour.

Quick Reply: 997 rear quarter dent -- advice needed!