Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 rear quarter dent -- advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM
HaSSounGT3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea on how your dent guy gained access to the inside of the rear quarter panel? I just found a nice dent on the quarter panel of my 07 GT3. Doesn't look like there is access to it anywhere?? Thanks so much in advance!

Originally Posted by DPorcella
I went with the paintless dent guy in Campbell, California, Roger Scala at Dent Pro. I can't vouch for all Dent Pro franchises or artisans, obviously, but on the recommendation of some of you, I went with Roger.

I'm extremely happy with the results. In the lighting of his shop, we even found another tiny dimple on the front fender which he easily smoothed out to perfection in a few minutes.

If you haven't ever seen one of these guys work, I recommend it; you'll see why it's an "art" and why experience counts.

AND, the car is returned to cosmetic perfection! Don't go around with dings; you'll be happier.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,586 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by HaSSounGT3
Any idea on how your dent guy gained access to the inside of the rear quarter panel? I just found a nice dent on the quarter panel of my 07 GT3. Doesn't look like there is access to it anywhere?? Thanks so much in advance!
he probably drilled and subsequently plugged?
Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HaSSounGT3
Pull the tail lamp out and there is a rubber plug allowing access to this area. It's a tough spot to get to but with patience it can be done.

If they can't get to it, they may do as Larry suggested above...drill a new hole and proceed with a new line to the dent. Here are before and after shots of mine....very pleased with the results.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
Skrizzo (03-23-2023)
Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a shovel handle fall in the same place on my month old 2009 C2S and called the Local Porsche dealer in Newport Beach Calif. He had the dent removel guy at his shop and I drove over dropped it off walked and had lunch for an hour and when I returned it was gone. No sign of it at all! Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:09 PM
lifeisgood
3rd Gear

Get some "bullet holes" decal to cover it up and cost only a buck. Yeah, I had 2 dents and got it fixed by a local guy call himself the "Dent Devil". It turned out pretty good.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 PM
PMAV67
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Can't help you with any recommendations in your area, but I can tell you that it CAN be repaired with paintless dent removal as long as the paint is not damaged or cracked. I had similar dents on both rear "hips" (probably caused by people leaning against the car)and had them fixed for less than $150. The guy I used here in Toronto actually hot glued these disks to the panel and then gently tugs and taps at it until it is gone and never has to access anything from inside or underneath. He then dissolves the glue and gives the area a quick polish with an orbital. I watched him do it and was amazed at how well it worked...absolutely no evidence of ever having a dent there all in under an hour. Phone around in your area as I'm sure there are guys who can do it.
BTW: a ding does not affect the structural integrity of the panel...that's BS. I've seen plenty of Porsche dealers remove dings on brand new cars that were damaged either in compound or in shipping. No need to go to the body shop for something so minor.
I just got a relatively large dent on the RR quarter panel of my 997.2 in a mall parking lot - naturally the guy did not leave a note or anything I tried Dent Doctor on Laird but he said it was too big for him to handle. Not surprised, I was not particularly impressed with his ramshackle facility. 10 years ago when I had a Boxster someone in PCA/UCR recommended Dent Detail (Devon) who I used and was very pleased with, but I cannot find him or his company now. Can you recommend someone in the Toronto area?

Quick Reply: 997 rear quarter dent -- advice needed!