Sponsored by:

997 rear quarter dent -- advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
One of the boys playing in the garage caused this ding two days ago.
OUCH!

If I had kids, I don't think I'd let them within 50 feet of my car. They'd be lucky if I ever even showed them a PICTURE of it, lol.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
OUCH!

If I had kids, I don't think I'd let them within 50 feet of my car. They'd be lucky if I ever even showed them a PICTURE of it, lol.
either that or explain why their college fund is now being used to buy a new one!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Can't help you with any recommendations in your area, but I can tell you that it CAN be repaired with paintless dent removal as long as the paint is not damaged or cracked. I had similar dents on both rear "hips" (probably caused by people leaning against the car)and had them fixed for less than $150. The guy I used here in Toronto actually hot glued these disks to the panel and then gently tugs and taps at it until it is gone and never has to access anything from inside or underneath. He then dissolves the glue and gives the area a quick polish with an orbital. I watched him do it and was amazed at how well it worked...absolutely no evidence of ever having a dent there all in under an hour. Phone around in your area as I'm sure there are guys who can do it.
BTW: a ding does not affect the structural integrity of the panel...that's BS. I've seen plenty of Porsche dealers remove dings on brand new cars that were damaged either in compound or in shipping. No need to go to the body shop for something so minor.

Correct method for dealing with this type of repair... call your P-car dealership and get thier dent repair guy to take a look see.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Dent Wizard fixed up a golf-ball sized dent in my rear fender (near the wheelwell) in San Francisco.
Flawless job. $150. I cannot recommend them more.

The best of these guys are more artist than technician.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Correct method for dealing with this type of repair... call your P-car dealership and get thier dent repair guy to take a look see.
yup, that's why I recommend the OP to call Luis @ lmcartouchup.com he is used by a variety of dealerships (Porsche and others) as well as individuals across the bay area for such work...
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winkingchef
Dent Wizard fixed up a golf-ball sized dent in my rear fender (near the wheelwell) in San Francisco.

Yep the DentPro in Campbell also comes highly recommended from many in the area also...
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't give up on that dent, so lean forward and get her done!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by DPorcella
It finally happened -- a mysterious ding/dent about the size of an oblong half-dollar appeared yesterday on the top of the RR panel of my '09 cabrio. Very unhappy! Very unhappy!

I seem to remember reading here that paintless dent repair cannot be done on the rear quarter panel because of it's 3-dimensionality, and that Porsche's position is that "repair" is improper because the rear quarter is a "structural" element, or something like that.

I did a search for part of a sleepless night, but still didn't find the answer I thought I'd seen here once, although I DID get all the good references for Bay Area paintless ding repair.

Today I start calling around, but I hope someone can shed light on the question of repairing this panel, paintlessly or otherwise. I'm not sure I want to involve my insurance company until I have better info on repair.

Thanks,
Dave in Sant Cruz
Dave, can you kindly post a photo?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Take the time to drive the hill to Dent Pro on Winchester in Campbell:
408-370-9500

They have worked on several of my cars and do excellent work.

Make sure you have the owner, Roger, do the job- he has been at that art (it is a real art) for many years.

They can push out most such fender dents, but need to drill a small hole (they plug it) in the wheel well.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if it applies in your case, but Orient Express posted a process to remove many dents by yourself with dry ice & a heat gun.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:47 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef

A lot of the best guys will come to you.
Dent Wizard did it for me when my car was at the detailer. Very convenient.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Thanks to all for encouragement and advice! I got caught up working yesterday, but plan on gettin' er done as soon as Saturday.

Sorry no time for picture taking / uploading at the moment; ding about halfway between wheel well and engine compartment dead center above wheel.

I'll post results after repair. Again, thanks to all who made suggestions.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What do they call the dent removers? "Dentists!"
Old 08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Talking Very happy!

I went with the paintless dent guy in Campbell, California, Roger Scala at Dent Pro. I can't vouch for all Dent Pro franchises or artisans, obviously, but on the recommendation of some of you, I went with Roger.

I'm extremely happy with the results. In the lighting of his shop, we even found another tiny dimple on the front fender which he easily smoothed out to perfection in a few minutes.

If you haven't ever seen one of these guys work, I recommend it; you'll see why it's an "art" and why experience counts.

AND, the car is returned to cosmetic perfection! Don't go around with dings; you'll be happier.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Glad it all worked out.

Quick Reply: 997 rear quarter dent -- advice needed!