Sponsored by:

OT: 918 a GO!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: 918 a GO!

Stuttgart. In its session today, the Supervisory Board of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, gave the green light for series development of the Porsche 918 Spyder. Reflecting the overwhelming response from the public and customers to the Concept Study, the Supervisory Board gave Porsche’s Board of Management the mission to develop a production model based on the car already presented. This concept version of an ultra-high-performance mid-engined sports car with plug-in hybrid technology made its debut at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show and at Auto China in Bejing, hitting the headlines worldwide.

Michael Macht, President and Chairman of the Board of Management of Porsche AG: “Production of the 918 Spyder in a limited series proves that we are taking the right approach with Porsche Intelligent Performance featuring the combination of supreme performance and efficient drivetrain concepts. We will develop the 918 Spyder in Weissach and assemble it in Zuffenhausen. This is also a very important commitment to Germany as a manufacturing base.”

The Concept Study of the 918 Spyder allows CO2 emissions of just 70 g/km, corresponding to fuel consumption of 3.0 litre/100 km (94.1 mpg imp) in the NEDC, on the one hand, and the performance of a super-sports car, on the other. This extremely efficient drivetrain technology then forms a symbiosis in the 918 Spyder with truly outstanding design and high-tech motorsport achievements. Further product details of the 918 Spyder will be disclosed in the months to come.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

any approval of a new technology like this is truly great to hear of.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

There was no question in my mind it's a go!

They were taking deposits and interests from perspective buyers and I BET Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld and the like have put an order already... it's gonna be a limited production like Carrera GT, with every single one sold before getting released!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM
machina
Racer

I am going to see the 918 in a couple weeks, hope the technology trickles down.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay ... I'm a very bad person but I think that electric/hybrid technology is not ready for prime time -- and may never be.

Until there is a solution to the problems of range and recharge, the two faces of the reality of battery inadequacy, the electric car is (perhaps) elegant but utterly impractical. The fact that the costs associated with current state-of-the-art batteries are prohibitive (see, $41,000 Chevy Volt) redoubles the futility of this dead-end technology. There is much to love about the idea of an electric automobile but, alas, in real life it does not work and is utterly uneconomic.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:38 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Um, it was leaked yesterday that the price is going to be $640,000. I don't really see the point.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:51 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Okay ... I'm a very bad person but I think that electric/hybrid technology is not ready for prime time -- and may never be.

Until there is a solution to the problems of range and recharge, the two faces of the reality of battery inadequacy, the electric car is (perhaps) elegant but utterly impractical. The fact that the costs associated with current state-of-the-art batteries are prohibitive (see, $41,000 Chevy Volt) redoubles the futility of this dead-end technology. There is much to love about the idea of an electric automobile but, alas, in real life it does not work and is utterly uneconomic.
I agree that fully electrial cars are just not ready for primetime, but this car is NOT only electrial, it's got a V8 PLUS 2 electrical engine... you can run it in Eco mode, Sport, or Race mode, and each mode uses less or more of the battery/gas engine. I think that's smart!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
Um, it was leaked yesterday that the price is going to be $640,000. I don't really see the point.

If one can afford the pricetag, I believe one can see the point quite clearly. Remember the pricetag of the CarreraGT?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the complexity and price, the 918 seems to be a solution in search of a problem.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya'll forget that >50% of these vehicles will be garaged within 50 miles of Hollywood, CA

It's a show piece and a technology learning vehicle.
People want to pay for the show piece and Porsche gets the technology learning for free.

If I were an exec at Porsche, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey wait a minute- the 918 isn't a conventional EV, it's a hybrid. You don't plug a Prius into a wall.

First, as has already been noted, it is a V-8 powered car with two electric motors... and it self-generates electricity, if I'm not mistaken. If this is so, and I believe it is the case, this certainly side-steps the typical EV dependence on a charging station, which makes is very different than your typical "plug-in" EV. I think it's viable for what it's intended for.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
CBnAT
Pro

I just hope someome who buys one actually posts on this board.

Quick Reply: OT: 918 a GO!