Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE sounds different depending on pedal pressure. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 105 Posts
Default PSE sounds different depending on pedal pressure. Normal?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed the following with my PSE. Is this normal?

When I press on the gas hard, I get less of the throaty sound and more of the normal exhaust sound. I can get back to the throatier sound by backing off the peddle or just generally giving the pedal less pressure.

My first experience with PSE so unsure as to whether this is how it works.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:38 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Do you notice a correlation between exhaust note and engine rpm? At low rpm, some additional baffles are closed and the sound is more subdued. At higher RPMs, the baffles open to give a more sporting sound. Perhaps it's just that you're getting into high rev-ranges when you notice the difference in sound?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the baffles are open in the driveway, closed around the neighborhood, and then open back up at 50 mph or so. So you can hear it at the stoplight and pulling away, then they close not to be obnoxious, and then when you are ready to blow past the guy they open up again.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I may have the action of the baffles backward, but Skip is correct about the intent: A quiet, reserved sound at slow speed (e.g. when driving through neighborhoods and parking lots). I believe there are European noise regulations the design must comply with, as well.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember that the PSE is programmed to quiet down -- due to some European noise ordinance laws? -- at (I forgot the exact numbers) around 3K-ish rpm to 5K-ish rpm and when the car is at 30-ish mph to 50-ish mph.

Would it be possible that your sense of sound difference was... when the car was going through the above quiet down 'range' when you stepped on the throttle?

Try this... at a clear and safe freeway, when the car is at 60mph and in 4th gear, step on the throttle with different pedal pressure, and see if you would still sense any noise difference.

With best regards,
Old 07-27-2010, 02:06 AM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 105 Posts

This is all great info and sounds reasonable. I'll have to listen closely tomorrow and report back.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Hi everyone,

I have noticed the following with my PSE. Is this normal?

When I press on the gas hard, I get less of the throaty sound and more of the normal exhaust sound. I can get back to the throatier sound by backing off the peddle or just generally giving the pedal less pressure.

My first experience with PSE so unsure as to whether this is how it works.

Thanks in advance.
i think its about pressure in the exhaust.. when i press gas hard.. pressure is high and sound is mediocre till high rpm's.. if i blip and let off the exhaust sounds like sex and is deep and burbly and pops... my favorite driving time is leaving my neighborhood.. 2 miles of speed humps and stop signs.. i get like 11mpg and it sounds amazing.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 AM
erenyes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i think its about pressure in the exhaust.. when i press gas hard.. pressure is high and sound is mediocre till high rpm's.. if i blip and let off the exhaust sounds like sex and is deep and burbly and pops... my favorite driving time is leaving my neighborhood.. 2 miles of speed humps and stop signs.. i get like 11mpg and it sounds amazing.
Riley,
Dont you have the Gundo hack?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swiss residential drive by noise regulations require the variability on PSE response.

For other climes it can be disabled....which it should be.

Quick Reply: PSE sounds different depending on pedal pressure. Normal?