Sponsored by:

West Coast Road Trip - Vancouver to LA - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:55 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Big Sur

If you do stop near Big Sur, look at Ventana Inn or Post Ranch Inn. It's also close to the Pfeiffer State Park with the waterfall picture above.

Post Ranch's restaurant for dinner is a nice venue for a couple:

Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am an easterner and hardly an expert on things to see or do on the frontier but I have driven out west a few time and I have a few suggestions from my trips.

If you want a nice place to stop, walk around and get something good to eat, I suggest Medocino. Nice funky little town with lots of small restaurants. There is also a park where you can walk over turbulent waters including some spectacular arches over the sea.

Further south, as you approach San Francisco there is a bay (Bodega Bay?) where there are a few restaurants that sell a delicious local delicacy, barbecued oysters. These are giant oysters are served on the half shell after being heated. Excellent. I have never seen oysters so big and meaty. When you see the signs, stop because there are only a few places that have them and once you pass them you will not get another chance.

If it is convenient, I suggest that you check out the giant sequoias. They are close to the coast and spectacular. I also suggest that you stop at one of the turn-offs that take you down from the highway to one of the inlets at water level. Just walk around and take pictures.

If you go as far south as Monterey, the aquarium there is very much worth the visit. Like Mendocino (but larger). Monterey has many interesting bars and restaurants. The 17 (or some number like that) mile drive around the peninsula is scenic -- good luck getting a parking space to see the famous lone pine tree!

Enjoy your trip!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
... If you want a nice place to stop, walk around and get something good to eat, I suggest Medocino. Nice funky little town with lots of small restaurants. There is also a park where you can walk over turbulent waters including some spectacular arches over the sea.
In Mendocino I suggest a great french restaurant - Cafe Beaujolais.

Further south, as you approach San Francisco there is a bay (Bodega Bay?) where there are a few restaurants that sell a delicious local delicacy, barbecued oysters. These are giant oysters are served on the half shell after being heated. Excellent. I have never seen oysters so big and meaty. When you see the signs, stop because there are only a few places that have them and once you pass them you will not get another chance.
Marshall, CA in Tomales Bay. Hog Island Oyster Co.

If it is convenient, I suggest that you check out the giant sequoias. They are close to the coast and spectacular. I also suggest that you stop at one of the turn-offs that take you down from the highway to one of the inlets at water level. Just walk around and take pictures.
The best area to see old growth is the Avenue of the Giants north of Garberville. See it HERE.
Stay overnight at Benbow Inn.

If you go as far south as Monterey, the aquarium there is very much worth the visit. Like Mendocino (but larger). Monterey has many interesting bars and restaurants. The 17 (or some number like that) mile drive around the peninsula is scenic -- good luck getting a parking space to see the famous lone pine tree!
Monterey is not like Mendocino. LOL

Full w/ tourists and kids at this time of the year. I recommend bypassing Monterey through Pacific Grove, 17 mile Drive to Pebble Beach instead.

And then, there's always Big Sur...

-
Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 PM
mulepacker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you end up staying a night in Brookings OR i would highly recommend the Wild River Lodge. Nothing fancy but super cleqn and an owner operated business!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ADias --

Thanks for the corrections and amplifications. I'm glad that I got the "17" right even if I got the name of the bay wrong. As for Monterey, I was not there in the summer and I appreciate your clearing up my bad advice.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
ADias --

Thanks for the corrections and amplifications. I'm glad that I got the "17" right even if I got the name of the bay wrong. As for Monterey, I was not there in the summer and I appreciate your clearing up my bad advice.
Your advice was excellent, I just added details. I'm sure you would do the same if I was referring to an East Coast spot.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 PM
limbo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 to most of what has been said, although I think the Big Sur route is nice in and of its own right. In no particular order:

Hwy 1 in the entire state of CA is a traffic nightmare with the RVs this time of year, and this weekend the Monterey Peninsula will be an even bigger traffic nightmare as it's the first round of the GP bikes at Laguna Seca, which is cool in its own right, but not ideal for making time.

You've already gotten a reco for Skaggs Springs, which I'll second. Skaggs will take you from Stewart's Point on the coast to Healdsburg, home to Bear Republic Brewery (if you're a fan of things that have hop in them, an excellent place to stop). It's very diverse in terms of terrain, going from goat-trail through the forest all the way to wide-open banked turns (careful, bordered by lots of steel barrier). Speed enforcement in the summer is high, beware.

If you're heading down to LA and want an entertaining way to break up things after you leave the SF area, hit Hwy 25 out of Hollister south to Hwy 198 which can either take you east to Coalinga (near the 5) or back to the 101 (short hop). Lots of visibility to see through the turns, and plenty of entertaining open road.

Lastly, if you're going to do the Big Sur thing head back inland and do yourself a favour with Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, which is epic in and of its own right. I find it very similar in character to Skaggs with a lot more in the way of elevation changes, especially as you get up to the coast.

Have fun with it!
MB
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by limbo
If you're heading down to LA and want an entertaining way to break up things after you leave the SF area, hit Hwy 25 out of Hollister south to Hwy 198 which can either take you east to Coalinga (near the 5) or back to the 101 (short hop). Lots of visibility to see through the turns, and plenty of entertaining open road.

Lastly, if you're going to do the Big Sur thing head back inland and do yourself a favour with Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, which is epic in and of its own right.
You have good taste. I used to live in SLO and Naci-Fergusson is one of my all time favorite roads. Beautiful and very little traffic.

If you don't want to go much south of SF, it's a nice loop to do Skyline Drive - Hwy 9 - Hwy 1.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG how did I forget Paso Robles?

Stay in town (Paso Robles Inn is quaint and cheap) and stumble from tasting room to tasting room.
Excellent Rhone-style wines. It was the setting for the movie "Sideways".
Also, the trip over the hill to Cambria (near Hearst Castle) is a spectacular road of the wide sweeping curves variety with beautiful vistas.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 PM
limbo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

@cbzzoom - Thanks for the compliment. N-F is in my top 10 all time faves as well.

The Skyline loop is nice, but summertime and decent weather bring out the squids (under-prepared riders of Too Much motorcycle) and create their own challenges. In general, summertime on the "good roads" in the Santa Cruz Mountains is something I skip, though I have been known to get out for some fun on some of the roads in there that draw less traffic (Pescadero, Gazos Creek, etc).

The East Bay has plenty of good roads in it to frequent; I've always been a fan of Mines Road to Del Puerto Canyon, which has the added benefit of being a really fun way to get to I-5 if you're headed East out of the Bay and also want to make tracks south; DP Canyon takes you -right- to I-5 and bypasses the 'meh' that is the Altamont Pass.

@winkingchef - Good call on mentioning Paso Robles. The Hearst Castle/Cambria action (also very cool if you've never been) can also be integrated with Nacimiento-Fergusson too; just watch the speed on the coast. The CHP are out there...

MB
Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like you need to give yourself about 3-4 weeks for this epic trip.

Lots of great advice here.

When will you be in the SF area?

Enjoy.

Phil
Old 07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
You have good taste. I used to live in SLO and Naci-Fergusson is one of my all time favorite roads. Beautiful and very little traffic.

If you don't want to go much south of SF, it's a nice loop to do Skyline Drive - Hwy 9 - Hwy 1.
Nacimiento-Fergusson is a bit of a goat road...
Old 07-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Mr. G
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings Rennlisters.

This is my first post. I don't have a Porsche (yet) but I am a long time lurker/wannabe. I have learned a lot through this forum in my slow march towards Porsche ownership but have not joined previously as I had nothing of value to add.

But I do know a thing or two about driving from Vancouver down the West Coast.

I have done variations on this route many times, the last being in May 2008 when I drove a BMW Z8 up from SF with a buddy. We picked a route with no real regard for time/distance but for maximum fun driving. I have also driven this route in the full summer and concur with everything people have said about the Coast highway and the horrible slow traffic. A littel Coast is nice but it's virtually impossible to drive with vigour on the Coast Hwy in the summer.

Another thing to remember on this topic is that the local law enforcement have gained considerable expertise in knowing exactly where a car with some extra horsepower will try to get past the convoy of struggling RV's. Unless you want to spend some time with a 4 foot cop with a 5 foot gun writing up a 10 foot ticket, be cautious on the Coast Hwy.

I would recommend that you do your true Coast driving in Northernmost California and Southernmost Oregon. Florence OR down to about Eureka CA. South of this, the Hwy comes inland through the Redwoods and then back out towards Mendocino. The Benbow Inn is very cool. That was enough Coast driving for me. The real fun is inland where the roads are empty and twisty and the only police are on vacation or lost.

Starting from Vancouver, I would recommend that you take I-5 down to Sedro Wooley and then go east on 20 to 530 then the Baker View Loop back west to Granite Falls. From there, get down to Monroe and take 20 east again winding through the mountains towards Ellensberg/Yakima for the night. There's good BBQ in Yakima.

From the Yakima area, you want to go west again on Hwy 12 towards Mt. St. Helens. At Randle, take forest service road 25 around the east flank of St. Helens and link up with Wind River Rd. down to the Columbia. These are lonely paved roads that are fun to drive at 55 and even more fun a little faster. If you see a cop, pull over and give him a nice Canadian doughnut as he will be bored and lonely.

You can do this drive from Vancouver to the Columbia River in two days of driving. It is a blast.

When you get to the Columbia River, I recommend you head over to White Salmon WA, cross the Columbia to Hood River OR and stay in the lovely town of Hood River (Hood River Inn downtown is nice, Andrew's Pizza and Cinema is across the road. Excellent thin crust pizza while you enjoy a first run movie and a nice local microbrew - a good way to unwind after two solid days of mountain driving).

From Hood River, head east and get onto the western end of the Columbia Gorge scenic highway. It is slow but twisty, beautiful and rather short. It is/was the only highway out west I am aware of that was built solely as a beautiful drive and not to get anywhere. You've got to honour that initiative. When it ends on the outskirts of Portland, find a way to punch back up the south side of the Gorge and then wind through the farmland towards Florence OR at a southwest angle. There are lots of nice roads, try to follow a river. Avoid Portland and its outskirts. Keep well east and south.

Once in California, I would recommend that you turn east near Mendocino (very cool town) and take the Comptche Ukiah Rd. This will eventually link you up with Hwy 101 which you can take down to Healdsburg, right in wine Country. Again, until you get close to Healdsburg, the only police you are likely to see are looking for grow-ops.

From Healdsburg south, the advice from the Californians is great. That Stinson Beach area is very cool. I think its also worth the small detour to drive around Mt. Tamalpais and check out the view of SF.

This is not nearly the most direct route but direct routes are for minivans. Don't ask me how I know this.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Quick Reply: West Coast Road Trip - Vancouver to LA - Need help