Sponsored by:

Panamera Is Bringing In A Differnt Kind of Customer

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:17 AM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera Is Bringing In A Differnt Kind of Customer

Was out and about looking for tile with the woman. We stopped at a well known Porsche dealer in the area as we had to pass it.

A couple of observations, first off they had little to no inventory of 911/Boxster/Cayman. On the the other hand they did have quite a few Cayennes and Panameras. It appears the Cayenne and Panamera are whats keeping the company afloat.

We just browsed and no one seemed interested in talking to us. But we did get to watch the new clientele that the Panamera is bringing in.

In the past Porsche dealerships were kind of the temple of racing . Not so much anymore. Makes me kind of sad as they seem to be living off their fame from the past.

Anyway the new clientele is of the worst kind - vapid, shallow who know nothing about Porsche and its racing but are interested in the Porsche "name" and "lifestyle" whatever that is.

The enthusiast is long dead I guess and the door was opened via the Cayenne as I see many a fat soccer mom driving them.

I am not saying vapid shallow people didnt buy 911's in the past but it kind of weeded out the pretenders as most could not deal with what the cars demanded.

Nobody offered us a brochure nor even a cup of water.

We also stopped at the Audi dealer and they bent over backwards to be nice to us (it helped we drove up with an Audi) and drove a new S4. The car was a rocket. 0-60 in like 5 seconds Incredible performance.

oh well, what can you do...
Old 07-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Porsche as a business will always welcome new customers. If you own a business, you would like to do the same.

Most Panamera and Cayenne owners that I know also own other Porsches. Your observation has some truth, but not the whole truth.

How you were treated at the dealership has nothing to do with what Porsche has in mind with its business.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

If you ever get around to test driving a Panamera you will soon discover that it was designed to drive like a Carrera. But it has 4 seats! REAL seats. We looked at Panameras and Cayennes today at the local dealership. They had many 911s around as well. But don't discount the incredible engineering stuffed into those cars. The Cayenne is what has carried the Porsche sports car business for many years. Recall that the Cayenne, first released as a MY04 car, has been produced 400,000 times since then--their biggest selling model. I'm glad for it--it allowed them to engineer the 997.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:43 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes me kind of sad as they seem to be living off their fame from the past.
I don't know about that... They just drove a near stock GT3RS from the factory, raced the 24hrs at the Nurburgring, came in 13th OVERALL, the drove the damn thing back! That's a pretty impressive accomplishment in any era...
Old 07-18-2010, 02:05 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

To the OP: quite an arrogant and pretentious post, don't you think?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:28 AM
Tone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just 1 data point and likely not representative of the population
Old 07-18-2010, 02:57 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
Upon first glance it does seem to reek of snobbery. Not that I know the heart and mind of the writer, mind you, nor do I claim to.

Porsche, like any other corporation worth its salt, wants to survive. 'Adaptability' is a key operative word in any market. Those that don't adapt, get left behind. The 911 is but one segment of the mkt- a very narrow, focused mkt; but it alone is not enough for Porsche to remain viable. That is just the way it is. So they need more products to appeal to a broader customer base- especially in THIS perceived economy at the moment.

The Panamera for example, has grown on me, and we will probably have one at some point- but that is alongside something more "traditional" from Porsche as well.

Better we have Cayenne's and Panamera's too; than no 911's at all- wouldn't you agree?
Old 07-18-2010, 03:06 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Upon first glance it does seem to reek of snobbery. Not that I know the heart and mind of the writer, mind you, nor do I claim to.

Porsche, like any other corporation worth its salt, wants to survive. 'Adaptability' is a key operative word in any market. Those that don't adapt, get left behind. The 911 is but one segment of the mkt- a very narrow, focused mkt; but it alone is not enough for Porsche to remain viable. That is just the way it is. So they need more products to appeal to a broader customer base- especially in THIS perceived economy at the moment.

The Panamera for example, has grown on me, and we will probably have one at some point- but that is alongside something more "traditional" from Porsche as well.

Better we have Cayenne's and Panamera's too; than no 911's at all- wouldn't you agree?
Oh! I do agree with you. The OP has a different opinion.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:15 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Oh! I do agree with you. The OP has a different opinion.
Yeah, I should have wrote "+1" and then blabbered...
Old 07-18-2010, 03:16 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I kinda agree with some of OP observations, althought it's a bit exaggerated.

However, I am sort of glad that they've found another segment of the market to sell their cars to (namely Cayenne and Panamera), so as a whole they can still continue funding racing, and to build great sports cars for all of us to enjoy! Otherwise, many of us enthusiasts would be priced out of the market!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:20 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

This thread will reveal the snobs among us.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:45 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

This thread will reveal the snobs among us.
LOL! Isn't that a pre-requisite to buy a 911?
Old 07-18-2010, 03:47 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
Was out and about looking for tile with the woman. We stopped at a well known Porsche dealer in the area as we had to pass it.......Anyway the new clientele is of the worst kind - vapid, shallow who know nothing about Porsche and its racing but are interested in the Porsche "name" and "lifestyle" whatever that is. The enthusiast is long dead I guess and the door was opened via the Cayenne as I see many a fat soccer mom driving them..........Nobody offered us a brochure nor even a cup of water......oh well, what can you do...
Too bad that you and "the woman" had a negative experience at your local dealer, but really, that's a hell of a lot of generalization for one brief visit. I've owned Porsches for many years and have tracked all of them, yet I can see myself owning either a Cayenne or Panamera to compliment my 911. It doesn't bother me a bit that Porsche is attracting a broader clientele. The revenue stream from those people is what allows Porsche to keep building the great sports cars that I enjoy.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Nope ... The OP spoke the Truth ... sometimes the Truth hurts
Old 07-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened with Alfa Romeo - previously a very niche brand when they introduced their 157, 156 and 159 models.

It attracted buyers who just saw them as regular cars who could not care less about Alfa Romeo history and heritage. But again these cars probably saved Alfa Romeo from extinction and are not bad 'enthusiasts' cars either.

I previously hated the Cayanne but came to appreciate it more when many of its production and design innovations helped the development of the 997.

Quick Reply: Panamera Is Bringing In A Differnt Kind of Customer