Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Is Bringing In A Differnt Kind of Customer

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:56 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP's post assumes that only true enthusiasts purchased Porsches before the company began selling Cayennes and Panameras. I don't know how you can make that generalization. I'd bet that there are plenty of people who purchased 911s for reasons having nothing to do with performance, and everything to do with status, prestige, etc., and, who's to say that there is anything wrong with that? Moreover, I know plenty of Porsche enthusiasts who have serious interest in purchasing a Cayenne or a Panamera. I frankly can't wait until my wife's X5 dies, so that we can pick one of these cars.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

Disagree with the post completely. Think the Company is better off for having produced Cayenne's and Panameras. Look at the cars - GT3 / RS/ TT / GT2RS etc. The 911 line is awesome.

Just coz someone ignored you in a dealership or a "fat" woman drives a Cayenne - doesnt mean things were better before. If you prefer audi's and they stroked your ego - vote with your wallet.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect the original post was a work of fiction...
Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99

Anyway the new clientele is of the worst kind - vapid, shallow who know nothing about Porsche and its racing but are interested in the Porsche "name" and "lifestyle" whatever that is.
Amazing how you found out so much about them from browsing the same showroom.

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
The OP's post assumes that only true enthusiasts purchased Porsches before the company began selling Cayennes and Panameras. I don't know how you can make that generalization. I'd bet that there are plenty of people who purchased 911s for reasons having nothing to do with performance, and everything to do with status, prestige, etc., and, who's to say that there is anything wrong with that? Moreover, I know plenty of Porsche enthusiasts who have serious interest in purchasing a Cayenne or a Panamera. I frankly can't wait until my wife's X5 dies, so that we can pick one of these cars.
While I'd say that yes, some people bought 911s for the image, I'd say it was more of a sacrifice on the older air cooled cars. They certainly took more effort to live with.

Originally Posted by jakes dad
I suspect the original post was a work of fiction...
agree.

P.S. the new Cayenne with the panamera style interior looks fantastic!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:26 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Well you could look back 20 years ago, and if someone were to have told me a 911 would have vented seats and all the comfort options it has available today, I would have said when pigs fly. Things have changed, these cars are now for the most part (with desired options) over 100K, and the those who can afford them have gotten older, and yes they still have the hardcore models, but 911 sales are not what they used to be, so for Porsche to survive, they need a new customer base. Even Ferrari has built a car (the California), that is very much like a SL, a nice GT car, they need to expand their market as well. I think they are doing what any company needs to do, after all the most important thing a business needs is customers.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Better we have Cayenne's and Panamera's too; than no 911's at all- wouldn't you agree?
I may not be a fan of those 2 vehicles. But I agree there should be a Porsche for any type of customer.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
LOL! Isn't that a pre-requisite to buy a 911?
Yes, with advertising adjectives like "Exclusive," "Excellence," "There Is No Substitute?"

Totally.

Big respect for money and power? Check.

Desire to associate with socially connected people? Check.

Dislike of NASCAR and fried cheese dogs? Check.

Well-educated about given-as-superior German automotive engineering? Check.

Snob: It's a good thing.

Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2010, 01:03 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

This kind of debate has been going on since the 911 replaced the 356...Please,let's move on...Porsche has to make money. Period. Nostalgic Enthusiasts are awesome. But they don't spend much money on the things that keep a company prosperous...Austin Healey and Triumph used to make some pretty cool sports cars once upon a time....
Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
This kind of debate has been going on since the 911 replaced the 356...Please,let's move on...Porsche has to make money. Period. Nostalgic Enthusiasts are awesome. But they don't spend much money on the things that keep a company prosperous...Austin Healey and Triumph used to make some pretty cool sports cars once upon a time....
+1 Excellent point.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Yes. The OP is actually correct that many Panamera buyers are new customers that would not buy a 911. So what? Who cares? I think it's great that PAG sells a ton of Cayennes/Panameras. I actually like them too.

Also... not only 911 enthusiasts buy 911s. Poseurs do buy it too.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Think of this like a baseball franchise. You have the bleacher seats, the nice front row seats, and then the exuberant half million luxury boxes. They need to sell those luxury boxes to be able to afford to continue offering the other seats at the current prices. Without those boxes, as crazy as they may be, prices for everyone else go up.

Porsche needs cars for non-sport car enthusiasts like the SUV and family sedan to help create profit to continue to do things like the RS Spyder, 911, etc. At the end of the day tho, you have to remember, if Porsche thought they could make more by painting every 911 with pink pokadots and installing fuzzy dice from the mirror, they would. They are a company, and companies are in the business of making money, not carrying on tradition. If they can do both at the same time, then so be it, but at the end of the day, the bottom line is where the story ends.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Yes. The OP is actually correct that many Panamera buyers are new customers that would not buy a 911. So what? Who cares? I think it's great that PAG sells a ton of Cayennes/Panameras. I actually like them too.

Also... not only 911 enthusiasts buy 911s. Poseurs do buy it too.
Agreed. I dimly remember all the fat stockbrokers driving 911 Turbos during the 80's. How "enthusiast" were they?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
Agreed. I dimly remember all the fat stockbrokers driving 911 Turbos during the 80's. How "enthusiast" were they?
+1.

BMW & Porsche (both historically focused on the enthusiast) became yuppie cars in the '80s. My wife was recently watching one of her favorite movies from that era, Pretty in Pink; the snobby rich kid played by James Spader was driving a 911. Typical of the stereotype "Porsche driver" that the general public has had for many decades.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:04 PM
asu_lee
Advanced

WHAT??!!! Fat people driving 911s? It's an OUTRAGE!!!
-Lee
Old 07-18-2010, 03:18 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts

The Panamera brought my wife into the fold. Our BMW lease is up and she asks me everyday if we are getting the Panamera. She ran up to the dealership and drove the car again. She loves the feel, the sound, the quality. I think I am going to be very happy to have it in the stable. In fact, I cannot wait to flog it at Willow Springs this fall! IMO the Panamera was necessary for Porsche. The Cayenne, on the other hand......we have just never been HP SUV types and just don't understand the concept of hauling kids around at triple digits on the freeway.

Quick Reply: Panamera Is Bringing In A Differnt Kind of Customer