Great write-up!
Many Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM
michelin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clifton,
Many thanks for the write up, superb.
The carpet is wet at the bottom of my doors so I will need to remove my inner door panels.
Can you describe the inner membrane please and this is leading me to believe it is not sealed properly at the bottom and causing the wetness.
Many thanks for your efforts.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

Thank you Clifton. Used your write up to figure out why my key is unable to unlock my car door.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 AM
JRiches
1st Gear

Default 997 door panel removal (rattle)

Car has been to dealer twice, with no success. My 997 has a rattle ,sounds like a loose rivet only on rough roads.Appears to be coming from an area between airbag emblem and door handle. Any suggestions ?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:03 PM
gumbyaz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Clifton for the nicely detailed writeup. Gave me the confidence to tackle this on my new-to-me 997.1 to replace a blown speaker. I had never pulled trim apart before, but it really was pretty simple with the right tools - used the same set you show in the pics. Couple of learning points for me that I can share:

1) The round quarter-sized trim piece behind the door lever: this took me the most playing with to get it out and not do damage. After getting it out, realized that the key is that the top part of the trim piece needs to come out first - the bottom part is latched in such that it can't be pried out until the top comes out.

2) Learned the hard way: DO NOT place the door shell back onto the door and think that the upper lip will hold it there. I did so after connecting the electrical plugs back up, and turned my back for 5 seconds to get my tools close to start putting screws back in. The door shell fell off, breaking part of the latch mechanism for the large grey electrical plug. Luckily the plug went together still and appears to be holding, but not great.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:02 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Did this a couple of days ago to to fix a loose inner door latch.

Thanks Clifton, these instructions were the best I found.

Originally Posted by gumbyaz
1) The round quarter-sized trim piece behind the door lever: this took me the most playing with to get it out and not do damage. After getting it out, realized that the key is that the top part of the trim piece needs to come out first - the bottom part is latched in such that it can't be pried out until the top comes out.
An easier solution regarding getting the quarter sized trim piece (no razors involved): All you have to do is push on the bottom half and the top pops right out! I learned this from Wayne Dempsey's 101 projects book.

One other tip, this took me a good 45 minutes to figure out....d'oh! To reset the door clips with your trim tools, you first have to slide them back in the panel and then push them up with your trim piece.

Also, on my door panel two of those grooves for holding the door clips broke off. I didn't use excessive force, maybe someone had messed with it before. Even with missing those two clips, the door seems to back together very tightly.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:24 PM
gumbyaz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCGMS
An easier solution regarding getting the quarter sized trim piece (no razors involved): All you have to do is push on the bottom half and the top pops right out! I learned this from Wayne Dempsey's 101 projects book.
WOW!! Makes sense though knowing what the piece looks like. Might just have to take the door apart again just to try this...
Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi all!

Thanks for all advice! I have just replaced a scratched door panel finisher. I used this thread to get the door panel off first. I also replaced the ignition trim bezel which also was scratched.

For those of you who need to replace the door spear/door handle trim/door panel finisher (many names) there is a great instruction on Planet9:

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...r-removal.html
Old 01-03-2016, 11:56 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
Hi all!

Thanks for all advice! I have just replaced a scratched door panel finisher. I used this thread to get the door panel off first. I also replaced the ignition trim bezel which also was scratched.

For those of you who need to replace the door spear/door handle trim/door panel finisher (many names) there is a great instruction on Planet9:

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...r-removal.html
Follow that tutorial for replacing my door spear. I didn't care about drilling depth when removing my old one as it was trashed, but if you are definitely pay attention as it was easy to come out the other side. Read somewhere someone used their soldering gun again to melt and pry away from the back.

Also I didn't screw them in, just used a soldering gun to melt the plastic. Been fine for a couple months.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:36 PM
STEVEW3765
Advanced

I am about to do this very task as I need to replace a shattered window on the DS. So, thanks. this is exactly what I needed Clifton...
Old 10-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Videos are worth a thousand words. Removing the door panel is on You Tube in full detail.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 PM
STEVEW3765
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Videos are worth a thousand words. Removing the door panel is on You Tube in full detail.
I know. I wanted to recognize someone who took the time and trouble to do this for everyone.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
link it..........
Old 10-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turboslut
link it..........
Here's a good YouTube Video on it -

Old 06-07-2018, 11:51 AM
cam2008
Racer

DELETED

Last edited by cam2008; 06-11-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY – 997 Door panel removal