Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever been stopped by police and sent on your way because of your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
CPais
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got an E55 about two weeks ago and I have floored it about three times so far and everytime I do it there is a cop around.

I was in the Hamptons last weekend and we were going out for the night and we were planning to do some drinking so I have a driver that gets the boys and I where we need to go. I figured I would drive to the bar since I wasn't drinking yet. I came out onto this open road and decided to lay into it for a second and then I got off of it, rolled up to the next block to make a right and there was a cop waiting there making a left onto the street I just turned off of. I look in my rear view and he's now making a U-turn and I know there's no way he saw me floor it. I make the right at the next street and he follows me and pulls me. Comes up to the window and tells me that my high beams were on, I tell him I just got the car and haven't figured everything out yet. He asks me where I'm going, I tell him Lily Pond, he then tells me that Lily Pond is right behind me and I tell him that I don't know how to use the navigation yet either I guess. He then tells me that he doesn't want to hold me up anymore, have a good night. When does that ever happen?

On the way home to Sag Harbor the driver is driving now. We get pulled over right in front of my place and the cop tells her that she blew a stop sign and she was driving way too fast and it was hard for him to catch her. I don't know about the stop sign because I don't remember her blowing through one but I can tell you that she was driving as slow as a turtle. I explained to the cop that it was my car and I hired her to drive us around and he said ok. He came back and told her he gave her a break on the speeding but wrote her for the stop sign. Not cool at all.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

I got pulled over AND ticketed for no front plate

fix it ticket...no worries, but still
Old 07-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been pulled over once in my 993 turbo and twice in my 996 turbo by cops who obviously wanted to look at and talk about the car. Three pullovers. Zero tickets. These things are magnets. Drinking and driving in any car but especially in these is not smart.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:52 PM
mental dental
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 cars driving back through northern France on the autoroute heading for Calais drive through a speed trap. All 6 cars in convoy doing the same speed; 3 GT3s, a Mini and two BMWs.

Guess which 3 cars were pulled and given on the spot 90 Euro fines?

Guess that particular gendarme was not a fan of Porsches.

His loss!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:57 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
I got pulled over AND ticketed for no front plate

fix it ticket...no worries, but still
Today's fix-it tickets in CA come with a nice little fine/fee as well as the mandatory fix. We just don't get those written-off as 'freebies' anymore... any way to get more $$ out of you and I, I guess.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
MJPereira
Instructor

Just this weekend, I was ovetaking a very slow moving SUV in the left lane that would not move out of my way. As I was doing the obligatory turn and stare at the driver as I passed him I noticed that to my left was a State Trooper just waiting. In order to get around the SUV quickly, I was probably going well over the speed limit. The Trooper pulled out onto the highway and took a while to catch up to me and got really close. Then he just dropped back and switched lanes and pulled over a Minivan that couldn't have possibly been doing anything. It was very odd but thankfully I didn't get pulled over.

I also have plates on my car that make a donation to fallen police officers. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been stopped by the police and given the MAXIMUM ticket because my car is a Porsche. I didn't know that the cop had added a rarely used extra fee until I went to pay the ticket in person. The woman behind the counter asked herself out loud, "Hmm, I wonder why he did that?"

I've never been given a break because my car is a Porsche.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Owning a Porsche can subjectively and wrongly considered a display of speed...that opnens up all kinds of bad BS.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A number years ago, my friend Tom was driving south from Lime Rock on Rte 22, and had a police car follow him for 8 miles. He was finally pulled over and given a citation for European headlights!
Talk about irritating! (not mentioning the legality of the ticket..)

...and I was parked nose-in at LAX and cited for no front plate. So the officer had to go out of his way to look for this. ARGH!

Last edited by ralt12; 07-19-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Speeding, Parking Tickets on Rise as Government Revenue Source

We should expect more speeding tickets in the future, as we are easy pickings for broke municipalities

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490629,00.html

Drivers across the country, beware — a heftier fine could be coming to a dashboard near you. Faced with rising deficits and dwindling revenues, many states and local municipalities are turning to increased traffic and parking fines to fill their coffers.
<continued>
Old 07-20-2010, 02:31 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fred2
We should expect more speeding tickets in the future, as we are easy pickings for broke municipalities

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490629,00.html

Drivers across the country, beware — a heftier fine could be coming to a dashboard near you. Faced with rising deficits and dwindling revenues, many states and local municipalities are turning to increased traffic and parking fines to fill their coffers.
<continued>
Ah yes. The State Govt & City Hall pressuring Mr/Miss Policeman/Trooper/HP/whatever to write more tickets instead of spending taxpayer $$ busting REAL 'bad guys'... don't you just love it.

Talk about abuse of power by City Hall. whoops, I'm getting myself started...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 273 Posts
Unhappy

So here's my story and it only happened last year:

I'm driving at night on the NJ rt. 80 and I'm talking on the phone to my step daughter-in-law who works for me and I'm really caught up in the conversation until I see the trooper that's been following me (that I never noticed) put his lights on and I pull over.

He strolls up to my car and he's this huge guy, big as a door frame and he tells me that he's been following me for miles and pulled alongside me three times and if I would have looked at him just once he wouldn't have pulled me over....he would have signaled me to get off the phone and went on his way. But now he needs my license and registration.

I apologize and admit that it's completely my fault (duh) and he takes my license and registration and goes back to his car and now I know I'm getting a ticket.....for sure!

After about 10 minutes he comes back and gives me this note and says he's giving me a warning. I'm shocked...I can't believe I'm not getting a ticket! I thank him profusely and he says:

There's just one thing you have to do and I'm thinking Geez he's going to give me community service or some BS and he says:

He says: "This spring and a really nice Friday evening you have to drive to the station and leave this car for me to drive for the weekend".... and he has this huge grin in his face. I stick my hand out and we shake and I say "you got it". He laughs and says have a nice evening.

Awesome and unbelieveable both especially if you saw this guy!

Tom
Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Got pulled over in a carpool lane sting operation entering a freeway in San Mateo (along with 5 other cars at the same time). Honestly had no idea I was even in the carpool lane as it's horribly marked. About three HP's and their cruisers just waiting under the overpass for people to pull up to the metering light in the carpool lane. Anyway, he walks up to the passenger side window and asks for registration, license and proof of insurance and asks me if I noticed the carpool lane signs. I tell him that I honestly didn't. This is where the story gets a little more interesting. I give him my registration and license, but couldn't find my proof of insurance (just forgot to print it and stick it in my car). He says, "you look like an honest guy, just tell me the company you're insured with". So I tell him and off he goes back to his cruiser. He comes back and lets me know that my registration had lapsed 8 days ago (tags turned out to be in the mail, but my wife takes care of that bill so I didn't really know if she'd paid it or not). So here I am, in this guy's eyes, driving a 997 in the carpool lane, no proof of insuarance and a lapsed registration. Not looking good. Anyway, he says, "I have to write you up for something. So you can either take the carpool lane violation or I can write you up for no front license plate that doesn't go on your record and won't cost you anything if you fix it." Obviously, I took the no front license plate. He comes back with my fix-it ticket (which ended up costing $50 in "administrative" fees, even after fixing), and says, "without trying to get you to incriminate yourself in any way, how fast have you had this thing going?" with a big grin on his face. I tell him I've had it up to about 130 and he just whistles and says, "how did it feel at 130?" I said, "like butter". He laughs and says, "have fun in it!" and send me on my way. All in all, very nice guy and not negative at all because of the car.

Quick Reply: Ever been stopped by police and sent on your way because of your car?