Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 PM
thorin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently went through this debate when buying my '10 C4S. I had the option between two very similar cars with the transmission being the only major difference. I had a chance to test-drive demo cars with both transmissions as well before making my decision.

I've been using a 6speed in my old 996 for the last 3 years and the 6speed in the new 997 was even better than the old one.

I was very impressed with the PDK however. It definitely shifts faster than me and 0-60 comes .4 seconds quicker. What impressed me most were the downshifts and the car I tested had the paddles, no buttons. If I did a lot of trackdays or were going racing, i would definitely pick PDK. Also this would make my return daily commute a lot easier.

However in the end, i picked a 6speed because I like the feeling of being involved and on that perfect sunny day when I'm on my favourite road... well on that day I'd much rather have a clutch and shifter! So I'm willing to deal with the pain of the 6speed on the commute and suffer having a slightly slower car in exchange for that feeling.

Flip a coin, pick either one, you won't go wrong.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM
REBor8
Advanced

What I just love about the six-speed, three-pedal affair is that the women in my life can't operate it! Think about that the next time the little woman says: "I'll just take your car...." I enjoy the PDK, as well, and there's no doubt that with most sports oriented cars, it is the future.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

My wife can drive stick just fine, all she drives in fact. I'm the one who is seriously considering trading in my 03 c4s for a newer pdk equipped 911. As my as I luv 996's, I'm in the 997 forums way to often these days. LOL!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Tracking that E-class Mercedes, just as one example, might not be as much fun as you think.
I don't mean to butt in and derail the conversation, but I just had to respond. I just recently attended the AMG Driving Academy @ Road Atlanta, and all the AMG's (E-class included) are pretty damn impressive on the track. Unless you are a track junkie, AMG, M, RS/S and Porsche will all generally possess limits much higher than the driver.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I don't mean to butt in and derail the conversation, but I just had to respond. I just recently attended the AMG Driving Academy @ Road Atlanta, and all the AMG's (E-class included) are pretty damn impressive on the track. Unless you are a track junkie, AMG, M, RS/S and Porsche will all generally possess limits much higher than the driver.
The poster I was responding to talked about getting a "V8 E-Class". Maybe he meant an AMG, but that's not what he wrote, hence my reply. No doubt the AMG E63 would be pretty entertaining on the track even if a notch below a properly optioned Carrera S.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The poster I was responding to talked about getting a "V8 E-Class". Maybe he meant an AMG, but that's not what he wrote, hence my reply. No doubt the AMG E63 would be pretty entertaining on the track even if a notch below a properly optioned Carrera S.
Don't tell that to the guys at www.mbworld.org Some thought I was crazy going from 2006 E55 to 09'C4S and considered the switch a down grade

John
Old 07-21-2010, 10:47 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
Don't tell that to the guys at www.mbworld.org Some thought I was crazy going from 2006 E55 to 09'C4S and considered the switch a down grade

John
I had one of the supercharged E55's before my 997.2 S, and I can tell you that the Merc's torque, at 518 lbs/ft, is a joy to play with. An endless well of torque, it seemed, very intoxicating. Anything that is purely engine-related, and you probably wouldn't say the Porsche is a great upgrade--different, clearly, but engines are about power. Where MB's AMGs fall down is despite being a bitching version of a sedan, they are still well over 4000 lbs, and that weight is something you are always aware of. Not exactly tossable. They are awesome cars, but VERY different.
The Porsche PDK, though, is a very "involving" car, and the gearbox difference between an AMG Merc and the PDK is night and day. The Merc is a real slushbox, and the PDK is freaking quick.

Quick Reply: PDK