Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate centre? or side plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MN requires a front plate. Mine is drilled into the bumper in the middle.
Not sure why guys worry about holes in the bumper. The plate covers them up.
IMO the tow hook mount looks even worse than the plate in the middle.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Something to think about on the front plate debate is the fact that not having a plate mounted is probable cause to get you stopped by a cop. These days, with every municipality scrambling to find sources of revenue, most police departments are increasingly on the prowl.
I decided that I'd rather deal with the ugly front plate than increase my chances of a traffic stop. And, after awhile, the plate doesn't look so bad.
Also, someone commented that municipalities don't ticket for no front plates, only CHP does. That is not correct. I know the LAPD will stop you and the Santa Monica parking enforcement folks write tickets for for front plate.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
Something to think about on the front plate debate is the fact that not having a plate mounted is probable cause to get you stopped by a cop. These days, with every municipality scrambling to find sources of revenue, most police departments are increasingly on the prowl.
I decided that I'd rather deal with the ugly front plate than increase my chances of a traffic stop. And, after awhile, the plate doesn't look so bad.
Also, someone commented that municipalities don't ticket for no front plates, only CHP does. That is not correct. I know the LAPD will stop you and the Santa Monica parking enforcement folks write tickets for for front plate.
So does San Francisco if one parks on the street or on city-operated parking.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Not a big deal, but what I actually said was, "I don't think individual municipalities can ticket for stuff like that, but if they can ....", allowing for the possiblitiy that some areas might do it. Clearly if some localities also ticket for missing plates it increases the odds of being nailed.

As far as the risk of giving the cop probable cause for a stop, I've got nothing else to hide, and I figure while if I'm speeding it may cause him to notice eventually my missing plate, it won't be the other way around.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:18 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW, I'm moving from OKC back to NJ. Just ordered the Skene solution for my 997.2. Here's the link: http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
Old 07-06-2010, 07:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I think that's the case with us too, hence TWO tickets in a span of three days!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwb
MN requires a front plate. Mine is drilled into the bumper in the middle.
Not sure why guys worry about holes in the bumper. The plate covers them up.
IMO the tow hook mount looks even worse than the plate in the middle.
That's what I am debating... center vs. side...

The advantage with tow hook is that you can take it off, when you wanna take pics, or what not...

The advantage of Center plate is that it'd become the FIRST point of contact for IDIOTS who can't park!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm now thinking of ordering the contoured front bumper plate ($9 from Suncoast) and fitting some super magnets to get it to stick. Just need to fit some magnets into the bracket and glue some magnets behind the bumper.

Then I can leave the plate there all the time but when I wash the car I can just pop it off... I remember seeing someone post a thread on how they did it - I better search it out!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

How about not using a metal plate and instead getting the numbers using a vinyl stripe that's attached like a sticker?

I actually just saw that in the last Total 911 magazine where this exact setup was used on an older 911 in Europe. I don't know if it is legal in the US but if it is, it is definitely worth a shot.

I'll see if I can get the page scanned for everyone.

Just a thought.

-T
Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the skene design mount. It's similar to Edgy's solution, just without the hinges. If the ISP starts enforcement of the plate law thats probably how I'll go.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche has so many options....where's the James Bond option to slide the plate into the front bumper, then have it reappear with the push of a button. "Yes, sir, it was there all the time. I can't understand why you missed it."
Old 07-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
Porsche has so many options....where's the James Bond option to slide the plate into the front bumper, then have it reappear with the push of a button. "Yes, sir, it was there all the time. I can't understand why you missed it."
That's how mine works!
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2010, 03:53 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex-

I have been running wit no front plate (LOVE the look) but I know I am courting danger. Although I know from other Vancouver posters this was highlighy likely to garner a ticket, your recent experience will likely prompt me into action! I have the Skene designs low profile mounting solution, which I will install in the center location- low, below the "curve" of the front. I like the tow hook concept and appreciate it can be removed/mounted at will but I don't like the off-center look and believe if I am running with a front plate, then have it look as good as you can.

BTW, I am likely going on the breakfast run this Saturday morning which is looking like it will be a perfect summer day if you are interested in checking out the PSE...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
This is unbelievable... I've been driving my car without a front license (just put it on the dash) for almost a year.. but then last Friday I got a ticket for no front plate ($109)... and then TODAY, I got ANOTHER ONE! While I was trying to see how to mount it, etc...

The idiot copper wouldn't give me a break... now I guess I gotto do it! Question is, should I do the regular front mid-plate? or get one of those mounts on the tow hook and mount on the side?

The side one is definitely better as you won't be drilling holes in the bumper... but I think it looks kinda weird. Anyone else thinks so?

BTW, I am gonna dispute the 2nd ticket!
i have it in my trunk now all the time and when I drive to city it is always on - cops are relentless for tickets in this economy. get tow hook mount - it is easy to remove and pretty robust.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...nse-mount.html
Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 moweraxle.com

Quick Reply: Front license plate centre? or side plate?