Sponsored by:

Ipod Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:38 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger911
On this topic, the manual says using the Porsche OEM cable will charge the iPod while driving. I have used two different iPods, one of them the newest Nano. Neither of them charges while driving. "Charging not supported by this accessory" warning appears in the iPod. Anyone else running into this?
hmmm....i use the OEm cable with iPod classic 160gb and occasionally a nano, both charge.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ranger911
On this topic, the manual says using the Porsche OEM cable will charge the iPod while driving. I have used two different iPods, one of them the newest Nano. Neither of them charges while driving. "Charging not supported by this accessory" warning appears in the iPod. Anyone else running into this?
Are you using the new Y iPod cable or the one came with your car? If you're using the Y cable, plug both ends into the USB and DIN connectors. That should charge your iPhone/iPod/Nano.

The manual was referring to the old iPod, before the 5-V voltage requirement.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TooSixy
Are you using the new Y iPod cable or the one came with your car? If you're using the Y cable, plug both ends into the USB and DIN connectors. That should charge your iPhone/iPod/Nano.
+1. USB and DIN plugs of Y cable connected to UAI, iPhone connected 3rd plug, all functions + charging work perfectly.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Ranger911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks guys

USB needed to be plugged in. I was running iPods without USB hooked up. Charging as it should now.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyS
Minok - The cable that I got with my Nano - I plug one end into the USB port in the storage compartment and the other to the Nano. All speakers work with this set up.

There is still something not right with "Y" cable that came with the car. Next time I at the dealer I need to find out what the problem is.
Ok, so you are running your ipod nano as a USB device to the PCM, that is, playing it via the PCM audio interface source USB.

Ideally, you want to play your music via the audio interface's IPOD source, which means using a Porsche DIN to IPOD cable. Since yours is the newer ipod, you need the y cable that has the ipod connector on one end and the other end has the DIN round cable and a USB plug. The USB plug is only for drawing 5v DC to charge the ipod. The round DIN connector routes the signals to the PCM via the ipod source.

If you are not getting both L and R audio when using the DIN cable, I'd have the dealer look it over.

For the older ipods, the 2 ended cable with just a DIN connector and an ipod dock connector is all you need as the DIN cable provides the 12v DC to charge via the ipod dock connector. The newer generation ipods don't use that 12v charging pin anymore, hence the newer cable with an ipod dock connector and then the DIN and USB connectors (both of which must be plugged in - the DIN to feed the data/music to the PCM, the USB to provide 5v DC charging to the ipod).
Old 07-20-2010, 05:30 PM
caddyshed
Intermediate

Has anyone with a 2009 997.2 been successful with the PCM recognizing and controlling an iPod Touch via the iPod interface ?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by caddyshed
Has anyone with a 2009 997.2 been successful with the PCM recognizing and controlling an iPod Touch via the iPod interface ?
Isn't the iPod touch basically an iPhone without the phone? I can access all of the music on my iPhone 3G through PCM on my 2009 997.2. Also, while I can't access applications on the iPhone directly from PCM (like Pandora or video files), once selected on the phone the audio plays perfectly over the car stereo. I don't see why the iPod touch would be different than an iPhone. Does that answer your question?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 AM
echere88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it works just like any classic ipod. I have sucessfully connect ipod photo, ipod classic, ipod mini, ipod nano and iTouch through PCM.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM
caddyshed
Intermediate

Thanks Mike and echere88. I can now get my iTouch to play via the iPod interface, I just have not been able to get the PCM to control song selection, next song, etc. I'm glad it does work, and will study the manual more until I figure it out. The WAV files on my iPod sound better than compressed files that come in on the satellite radio.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 AM
19_hole
Racer

I have been able to use my Touch and a new Nano without any problems. I use the standard non-Y cable and a cable adapter to get the new Nano to charge. The cable supplied with my car was the early non-Y type.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:39 PM
et183394
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default iPod Left Channel Only

I have read this thread twice and cannot figure out if the original post was answered. I have a recently purchased 2010 997.2 with factory installed audio interface. I just attempted to connect my iPod with the Y cable ordered from Suncoast and I have the same issue, left channel sound only. Same issue with my iPod and my iPhone 4 so it is not my equipment. I have the DIN plugged into the iPod jack and the USB of the Y cord plugged into the USB port and then connected to my devices. All of the PCM functionality is correct in terms of being able to see all of the iPod/iPhone music content, but I am only getting left channel. Too much of a coincidence that I also have a bad cable or bad PCM. Anyone else solved this one other than using the Apple USB interface cable?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:19 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by et183394
I have read this thread twice and cannot figure out if the original post was answered. I have a recently purchased 2010 997.2 with factory installed audio interface. I just attempted to connect my iPod with the Y cable ordered from Suncoast and I have the same issue, left channel sound only. Same issue with my iPod and my iPhone 4 so it is not my equipment. I have the DIN plugged into the iPod jack and the USB of the Y cord plugged into the USB port and then connected to my devices. All of the PCM functionality is correct in terms of being able to see all of the iPod/iPhone music content, but I am only getting left channel. Too much of a coincidence that I also have a bad cable or bad PCM. Anyone else solved this one other than using the Apple USB interface cable?
If you have the Porsche Y cable and it's plugged in as shown in post #7 with the other end attached to your iWhatever and you still aren't getting correct audio, then I don't know what to suggest. This arrangement works perfectly in my '09 997.2 with UAI.

I will say, however, that it seems the connection of these devices can be problematic. I tried connecting my iPhone 3 in my new Cayenne S. I bought an approved iPhone USB data cable (just not Apple branded) to keep in the car to hook up to the USB input (different connections in the Cayenne than the Carrera). It didn't work. But my Apple branded cable with the exact same connectors does work. Go figure.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 AM
et183394
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If you have the Porsche Y cable and it's plugged in as shown in post #7 with the other end attached to your iWhatever and you still aren't getting correct audio, then I don't know what to suggest. This arrangement works perfectly in my '09 997.2 with UAI.

I will say, however, that it seems the connection of these devices can be problematic. I tried connecting my iPhone 3 in my new Cayenne S. I bought an approved iPhone USB data cable (just not Apple branded) to keep in the car to hook up to the USB input (different connections in the Cayenne than the Carrera). It didn't work. But my Apple branded cable with the exact same connectors does work. Go figure.
Thanks Mike...when you use the Apple cable can you control the device through the PCM or do you have to use the device's organic controls? Prior to ordering the Y cable, I used the aux output and had normal sound, but obviously you do not have the ability to control through the PCM. Although I would note the interface is not great. Took me a little searching to find Podcasts via the PCM. ET
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by et183394
Thanks Mike...when you use the Apple cable can you control the device through the PCM or do you have to use the device's organic controls? Prior to ordering the Y cable, I used the aux output and had normal sound, but obviously you do not have the ability to control through the PCM. Although I would note the interface is not great. Took me a little searching to find Podcasts via the PCM. ET
Sorry if my previous post was confusing. I'm using the Apple cable only in my Cayenne which has just a USB and Aux input. The Apple cable allows me to control my iPhone's iPod features through PCM but this arrangement wouldn't work in the Carrera.

The UAI in the Carrera is different (in my '09 at least), because it also has that DIN connector which is used with the Y cable. As far as I know, using that DIN connection is the only way to control an iDevice through PCM. The USB port only provides power for charging and the Aux input won't let you control the device through PCM as you have discovered.

The only reason I mentioned the story about the Apple and generic data cable is to show that, for whatever reason, the Porsche iDevice audio interface seems pretty sensitive to how and with what it's hooked up.

Quick Reply: Ipod Question