Sponsored by:

How do you clean brake dust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by camhabib
I have a bit of an issue - I have some brake dust buildup that I can't seem to get rid of. Just a few spots (~1mm in diameter) around the edge of the rim, tried some P21s gel, clay bar, and polish, but all with no luck. Any suggestions on products? I have some Rejex I'm going to apply once I get rid of the last bit of dirt.
Try rubbing the spots with the Rejex wax. May take a little elbow grease and time to disolve the spots. Worth a try. For stuburn spots, usually use something like Wurth citrus degreaser, and re-wax area.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camhabib
I have a bit of an issue - I have some brake dust buildup that I can't seem to get rid of. Just a few spots (~1mm in diameter) around the edge of the rim, tried some P21s gel, clay bar, and polish, but all with no luck. Any suggestions on products? I have some Rejex I'm going to apply once I get rid of the last bit of dirt.
Check the detailing forum or detailers domain (I think that is the web forum) for more advice. My approach would be to start with a mild cleaner/polish and work up in aggressiveness as needed. In our garage that would mean first Klasse AIO, then if needed I have some 3M Hand Polish (I think that's what its called), and finally some very old chrome polish which is probably a bad idea to use on painted wheels. After that I would have to buy something or just take the car to a detail shop and have them show me their approach.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The key is to stay ahead of it. Keep the wheels clean as much as possible, covering them with wax after cleaning. It will help to reduce the accumulation of dust.
+1 on staying ahead of it. I have the Carrera Classics, its simple 5 spoke design makes things much easier. I also use Klasse on them which makes them very easy to clean. I wipe the wheels down with a bucket of plain water every 2 to 3 days. Takes less than 30 minutes to complete and the wheels never get really dirty. This process also prevents the greasy mess left from water in the discs that you get from the wet brakes when driving after a normal wash. When I wash the car, I don't usually wash the rims, as they are already clean.

About every 2 to 3 months I'll clean the rims really well using a hose, soap and water. I'll sometimes use an air blower to dry off the brakes, then I drive the car around the block and clean the inner rim a second time to get rid of any greasy mess left by the rotors. My cleaning routine for the rims is kept separate from my car wash and wax cycles.

Heck, my car is black anyway, so it's a labor of love that I don't mind at all. The reward is a black beauty that is almost always in pristine showroom condition.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

you guys are good.

I never clean the inside of the wheels in any of my cars ever.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
you guys are good.

I never clean the inside of the wheels in any of my cars ever.
I never did until this car - the wheels are so open that I really have to or they don't look clean - which makes the car not look clean. So what facilitates the cleaning also necessitates it.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM
JCH
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found Michelin's brake dust repellant to really keep the dust down between washings. No affiliation.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...care-products/

I also used a squeegee system made for cleaning plate glass windows, an idea that I picked up on some forum. I got the tool at Lowes. The simple system includes the squeegee on a pole and a a mop like cover for the squeegee intended to wet down the window before squeezing the water off. My mod was to saw off the pole. This gave me a 2 foot long, narrow rigid tool to get deep between the spokes to clean the insides of the rim.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This is what I ordered today from Cabelas: Interesting video.

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...gory_index=new
Old 06-30-2010, 08:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by JCH
I found Michelin's brake dust repellant to really keep the dust down between washings. No affiliation.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...care-products/

I also used a squeegee system made for cleaning plate glass windows, an idea that I picked up on some forum. I got the tool at Lowes. The simple system includes the squeegee on a pole and a a mop like cover for the squeegee intended to wet down the window before squeezing the water off. My mod was to saw off the pole. This gave me a 2 foot long, narrow rigid tool to get deep between the spokes to clean the insides of the rim.
How do you apply the Michelin product? Is it a spray? Do you apply it with the rim mounted?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pdxjim
This is what I ordered today from Cabelas: Interesting video.

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...gory_index=new
Impressive! It appears though that it should be sprayed on an unmounted rim. Is that not the case? Please keep us posted on your experience.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:05 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a friend who applied it to his mounted tires. He pointed out to me the areas that he had missed! He did not take the wheels off his car due to shoulder surgery. I will take the rims off for proper cleaning and then application. I have used Rejex in the past and like it, but this appears to better.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 PM
JCH
AutoX

the michelin product is a spray.

spray on, give it 30 seconds to set up, wipe off.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JCH
the michelin product is a spray.

spray on, give it 30 seconds to set up, wipe off.
Do you need to protect the brake disk/caliper and the tire? What has been your experience with this product?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Funny you say that--was a BIG factor me as well. (I know what people will say). I have a very bad back--titanium cages and rods from T10 to L2 and just getting too old to be cleaning wheels! PCCB is a god-send.

Damn Dan,
God Bless you for even being able to walk upright!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 PM
JCH
AutoX

on the michelin product.....very, very simple. Protect nothing, spray on, let it set up, wipe off.

Look at the wheels on my avatar car. These are nightmares to keep clean. This stuff made it so that I did not have to spend 70% of my wash time detailing the wheels. As far as i was concerned, this product put the wheels just inside the boundary of the time I was pleased to be spending to fuss with them.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 977 Likes on 546 Posts

Anyone here try the Sonax wheel cleaner?

Quick Reply: How do you clean brake dust?