My First Porsche: Thoughts and Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 111 Posts
Default My First Porsche: Thoughts and Impressions

Hi Everyone,

At around 4:30 pm yesterday I finally took delivery of my first Porsche. The enclosed trailer had 2 cars left, mine and a Ferrari that was being delivered in the area. Watching my C2S cab getting lowered off that truck was a dream come true and extremely exciting. Below are my thoughts on the experience + the car:

Buying experience
I have to say Aristocrat Porsche is a top notch dealership. Markus Schmidt was my salesman and he was the most patient and helpful salesperson I've ever encountered. He went above and beyond. I was concerned about buying the car sight unseen but his description was accurate. The car really is flawless and showroom condition after 4 years but only 6K miles. I felt the price of $63K including CPO was pretty fair too.

First Visual impressions
I would drool over pictures of Porsche as a child, but there really is nothing like seeing your car in person. I saw pictures of mine before I bought it and fell in love. Seeing it in person, it just looked so much better and sleeker than I expected. Seal grey is an awesome color. The Carrera Classic wheels are gorgeous.

The condition of the car, as I said is flawless. I minor nick in the handbrake leather perhaps, but otherwise it's perfect. The previous owner did a great job keeping it like new.

Driving impressions
Overall the car is awesome. There really is nothing like driving with the top down. Never had a convertible before. To me, driving with the top down just feels like the natural state for this car. It's wonderful.

The car feels extremely fast and everything feels so much tighter than anything I've driven before. In some ways, it almost requires too much effort. I felt my left foot cramping this morning as I hadn't driven a stick in a long time. The short shifter feels so mechanical and stiff. Everything just requires a ton of effort. Lots of noises, thumps, smells. I feel like I'm going to break something with each clutch, shift, turn, as everything is so tight and stiff. It's a new feeling .I guess this is part of the experience.

The ride/suspension seems firmer than I remember during my test drives of other Porsches. It really does take some adjustment coming from the cushier BMW 5 series. The steering, as everyone says, is laser sharp. The sound of the PSE is awesome. Handling is incredible.

My only real concern: I've noticed a fair amount of vibration at highway speeds. At 70 mph there is some vibration through the steering wheel and I always am feeling some sort of mild or strong vibration through the car at highway speeds. My tires were inflated to 39 f and 44 r which I then brought down to 33f and 39r (cold). That helped somewhat, but I still find it hard to have a vibration free ride on the 4-5 trips I've had in the car so far. I think I may need to get the car roadforce balanced soon to see if that helps. The tires are PZero's at have about 80% of their tread. Some of it may be just getting used to the car, but I suspect a quality wheel balance may be in order.

Overall, the car is a dream come true with a little adjustment time to get used to it! Pics will be coming soon.

I look forward to learning alot from all of you!

And thanks to keno and winkingchef for providing me alot of guidance on this process.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

steering wheel vibrations are front wheels, i assume rebalance wheels.... if u feel it in your butt then thats rear wheels...

id say safe to assume to weight slung off over time, just take and get all the wheels rebalanced... also with age of car and low miles im guessing maybe the tires were never changed which might be a good thing to do... tires will still wear w/o use... get "flat spotted" almost.

we need pics now!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:14 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Good to know it finally arrived and is what you expected. Just like what Rijowysock says, an alignment and balance should fix things right up regarding your vibration issue. I took my car to Custom Alignment in Mountain View and got really great service, so check them out if you don't have a good wheel shop.

This is an '06, right? If so, consider new tires as I just wouldn't trust 5+ year old tires, regardless of the mileage. That's what I did a couple of months after I bought my '06 with 8K miles. The factory PS2's were hard as rocks as well and even though I replaced them with lower-performance Bridgestone RE050's, the difference was amazing.

Some disagree with this but I'd also consider a new battery if yours is the original. It's time and it's not worth getting stranded somewhere - even if it's in your garage.

Now post some pics please!!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:27 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
...The sound of the PSE is awesome...
It sounds more awesome if you unplug the orange connector.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, drive it in good health.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:33 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Congrats! I've noticed that the PZeros on my 997 take a lot longer to warm up as compared to the PS2's on my 996. I get a little vibration until they're warm, and then things are relatively smooth.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

P Zero + 4 years = flat spots
Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Keep in mind that if the car has only 6000 miles you are driving on factory delivered tires. They are getting old--drying out. If the car has been babied (no rough treatment on bad roads, curbs) then the tires are probably the issue. When you change them out someday (2:1 rears to fronts usually on a 911) you will find the problem solved.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
In some ways, it almost requires too much effort. I felt my left foot cramping this morning as I hadn't driven a stick in a long time. The short shifter feels so mechanical and stiff. Everything just requires a ton of effort. Lots of noises, thumps, smells. I feel like I'm going to break something with each clutch, shift, turn, as everything is so tight and stiff.
That just doesn't sound right. I bought my car with 4,000 miles on it and my first impression was how effortlessly smooth it was in every respect. I did add the short shifter later but saw that as a great improvement rather than a detriment.

Since your car has spent most of its 5 year life sitting in a garage, maybe it just needs a little time on the road where it wants to be. And maybe "a ton of effort" is a relative term based on what you've been driving lately. Still though, you sound like you're laboring in a salt mine rather than sitting behind the wheel of one of the most easy going sports ever made so something seems off (imo).
Old 06-28-2010, 04:07 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that you held out for the car you wanted. You did the right thing by cancelling the other one.

Your vibration problem definitely sounds like alignment/tires - an easy fix.

One last thing - make sure to rev the hell out of it - the car comes alive after 5k rpm.
You were too kind to mine when you drove it.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Mileage is very low for the age. I would try new tyres on the front which will then obviously require wheel balancing.

I often feel balancing may cure vibrations from flat spotted tyres but the tyres are still there and are still flat spotted - therefore causing increased wear to the steering and suspension parts.

Good look with the car - I too have a C2S in seal grey and it is a great colour.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Please post pics!

FM
Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats 403! Welcome to the world of Porsche.

Love the Seal gray. Very classy and timeless color for the 911.

Your new car has spent most of it's life locked away in someone's garage. That's known as "Porsche abuse". Sitting all those years, and with probably long stints of sitting, I'm sure those P-0's are flat spotted. You just need to find another $1400.00 to pony up for new rubber. Surely you have a large pile of cash left over from your purchase after finding such a great deal!

Good luck to you and enjoy your new ride.

Oh, one last thing, since you're new to Porsches.
Por-sche is a two syllable word!
Just making sure. I'm sure you knew that.

Phil
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the roads suck there? Whenever I'm on some less than smooth roads I swear the alignment is off or something, but then when I get back on smooth roads all of the vibration is gone and the car drives straight as an arrow. There really is a lot of steering feedback in this car. (not saying the others are wrong about tires and such though)

And, congrats!

Quick Reply: My First Porsche: Thoughts and Impressions