Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home-made Car Ramp for oil changes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 PM
vinnysca
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Home-made Car Ramp for oil changes...

I decided to make my own ramp for lifting my CS2 high enough just for me to be able to take the oil lug nut off and for a regular oil emptying pan to fit under the car. Worked pretty well! And only cost me less than 40 bucks and about 2.5 hours out of my day today.

I bought a couple of 1ft x 12ft lumber and had they guys at Home Depot cut them for me in 3 feet sections:

Then I set my saw blade to a 45 degree angle cut:

Then I stacked two of them on top of each other, setting the top board back, sorta like a step:

I used 3 inch deck screws to secure them to each other:

The ones for the rears are pictured here. I screwed a piece of tire stops to the rear. Didn't have to do them for the ones for the front tires:

Once done, I tested them and they work great!

Vince

Last edited by vinnysca; 06-28-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-27-2010, 05:46 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Amen brother! where there's a will, there will be $ saved.....
Old 06-27-2010, 06:21 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

My problem is that I have some ramps but ever since I epoxy coated my garage floor, the floor is so slippery that when I try to drive up onto the ramps, the ramps just slide forward. I think I need to put something on the bottom of the ramps so that they get more traction on the floor.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Staple some gritty sandpaper to the bottom of the boards. It should help.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:26 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
I think I need to put something on the bottom of the ramps so that they get more traction on the floor.
Maybe get some cheap or used carpeting: nail or glue it on (if solid wood) with its rubber back side in contact with the floor. Otherwise lay down carpet sections then put ramps on top?

Nice work Vince on the ramps.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

used to have some like that made for getting my jack undr my old car cause was too low, only downsides are sometimes the drive wheels pull the corresponding ramps faster or the fronts drag cause they dont wanna go up... i ended up putting rubber under them, the grip stuff you use in your cabinet drawers to keep pots from clanging around and it helped.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by _Nathan
My problem is that I have some ramps but ever since I epoxy coated my garage floor, the floor is so slippery that when I try to drive up onto the ramps, the ramps just slide forward. I think I need to put something on the bottom of the ramps so that they get more traction on the floor.
check my reply above, the stuff for cabinet drawers to keep pots from slipping, also same stuff used under table cloths or place settings.. its like a cross hatch rubbery stuff.

sandpaper just ruins floor.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:35 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great idea and job. My only concern: Any chance of the car crushing the wood? Maybe a silly question, but I don't know much carpentry. Would treated wood be a better idea?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:45 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docfink
Great idea and job. My only concern: Any chance of the car crushing the wood? Maybe a silly question, but I don't know much carpentry. Would treated wood be a better idea?
treated wood is for outdoor use to prevent aging in the elements, regular wood is perfect for this use, especially if your using 2x12's

i would drill a pilot hole of course to avoid splitting and stress down the line, notice he used 3" screws so they could be counter sunk and still not protrude out the bottom..

if you really wanna get fancy, use some wood glue between them and you'll never have separation or cracking.. ;-)

the ones i made, i routed off all the edges and did the angle at 60*, glued and painted them... even put handles on the back side of them... they held up amazing but the last 2 cars didnt need them,
Old 06-27-2010, 06:47 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rijowysock
check my reply above, the stuff for cabinet drawers to keep pots from slipping, also same stuff used under table cloths or place settings.. its like a cross hatch rubbery stuff.
Yeah, I use this under my rhino ramps and it does the trick.

First time I got the car up the ramps, I didn't use the no-stick stuff. When I drove off the ramp, as soon as I got on the slanted part it slipped and shot out the back and the car was down on the ground much quicker than I intended !!! A scary moment but luckily no harm done.

Definitely put some no-slip rubber on ramps !!

(and nice job with the wood work OP, home made FTW)
Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

check my reply above, the stuff for cabinet drawers to keep pots from slipping, also same stuff used under table cloths or place settings.. its like a cross hatch rubbery stuff...
Great idea. And I have even a roll of that stuff in the closet.

...sandpaper just ruins floor.
That's just what I was thinking.

vinnysca, sorry about hijacking your thread
Old 06-27-2010, 08:55 PM
vinnysca
Instructor

I actually applied glue before screwing them on. And I also drilled pilot holes before putting in the screws. Glad you guys approved! I'm not due for another 7,900 miles until my next oil change, but I put the car up on it for the heck of it. Almost like a pedestal for my dream car! Hehe!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
Any chance of the car crushing the wood?
Nah. To our everyday human brains it's stunning how much weight wood will bear in the compression mode when the weight is distributed evenly.

Of course if you measure it in the lab with a 100 ton press (or more!?) a solid piece of steel will make a square of 2x6 lumber look like styrofoam.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vinnysca
I actually applied glue before screwing them on. And I also drilled pilot holes before putting in the screws. Glad you guys approved! I'm not due for another 7,900 miles until my next oil change, but I put the car up on it for the heck of it. Almost like a pedestal for my dream car! Hehe!
wasnt sure what u did, was just making notes for the other gentleman before he attempted and had cracks and such.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Perfectly done! Simple. (Treated wood is not that good for several reasons, one of them is that treated wood is not as strong as simple Douglas Fir. The treatment process scores the outside of the wood (to allow chemical penetration) and weakens it substantially--there is no need in your application). Plus, you'll be handling these and don't need to worry about splinters from treated timbers.

Quick Reply: Home-made Car Ramp for oil changes...