Sponsored by:

advice from 911 owners who also have boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
... I've always felt the Boxster has not received it's due because it's the "least expensive Porsche". But it's every bit as much a true Porsche as the current 911 models if not more so. You just have to get past the notion that it's a lesser car. ...
In full agreement.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently between Boxster's at this time. I can say that I miss my 05 987 S because it drove totally different. If I were going to have to vehicles and had to choose as a second car, I would definately get the RS60. It is a special vehicle in limited quantity.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niner niner seven
911, 911, 911 stay traditional. founder's intent.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasnt Porsche #1 mid-engined like the Boxster. It didnt become rear-engined until later. So since #1 was mid-engined what was the founder's intent?

"48 years ago, in Gmünd, Austria, the very first Porsche sports car was hand built. When it says "hand built," that's the truth, because the entire aluminum body was hand beaten over a wooden buck. All the engine and drivetrain components were made without a machine shop.

Porsche number 356/1 , as it was called, was the only one with the engine mounted in front of the rear axle. It was an open top 2 seater, made with a tubular space frame. Every Porsche 356 made after this had the engine in the rear (behind the axle). It was, of course, air-cooled. "

Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by tincanman99
Correct me if I am wrong but wasnt Porsche #1 mid-engined like the Boxster. It didnt become rear-engined until later. So since #1 was mid-engined what was the founder's intent?
Correct. And before that, the good doctor created a gas/electric hybrid. So all true enthusiasts should be ordering new Cayennes.

Never mind that the majority of Porsche's racing success has been with mid-engined cars, and that Porsche's ultimate street car, the Carrera GT, is mid-engined as well.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

I hate to be a broken record, but I'll repeat what others have said: The two cars feel so very different and each gives its own rewards. Drive both and pick the one you like -- there is no wrong choice here.

I'll echo Elusive's comment about those who diss the Boxster: When I went to PSDS (then PDE) we drove Boxsters on the autocross course. Universally everyone got out of that car with the same question on their lips: Why didn't Porsche tell me about this car? They did, you just weren't listening.

I'll finish with this: When I decided to get a 911, it never even entered my mind to trade in my Boxster.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

As usual, I agree with Ron-the Boxster does not get it's due. I own a 997 but have always loved the 987. The only reason I don't own one is that in Dallas it's either too hot or too cold for a convertible (for me anyway). The balance of the car and the fact that you sit so close to the engine is fantastic. I could care less how much it costs, as long as it's a Porsche.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

I owned a 2001 Boxster S that I custom ordered and drove it until last September when I purchased a 2007 C4S. I LOVED the handling of the Boxster and i did things in that car that I have NEVER done in any car. I took it to four different tracks in California and Oregon to participate in DE's and i got to explore just how fantastic the mid engine configuration is. The car far exceeded my capabilities as a driver. Only downside was I at times wanted more engine torgue when passing on highways. I compensated by always downshifting one or two gears to get the needed oomph. The Carrera is a good deal heavier and a lot more comfortable, especially on long trips. It's more of a GT and I love the open cabin in the coupe. I am still getting used to the handling differences but they are both outstanding cars.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

The Boxster is the best road car Porsche ever created.

A major Porsche historian/expert said that.

That means it is best-er than the 911.

I read that somewhere but we'd have to do some googling to find out who that was.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

(a bit OT) I drive a base Boxster now. My fav car is the NSX and I've owned a c2s. But the top down motoring here in AZ with the Boxster is a blast and keeps me from changing cars. The lack of hp is not an issue. I just rev higher and stay legal for longer, thereby getting more enjoyment out of it. The c2s was 'fun in a blip', in a way too fast for the streets. Plus the 07 boxster sounds sweet.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 AM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonCT
Not sure I'd go with an RS60 though unless it's priced the same as a "regular" Boxster S. Sort of felt the "special" models like the RS60 and new Spyder didn't offer real benefits worth a premium.
I agree with your assessment about special editions. They are mostly just option packages and a couple stickers. But I would not lump the Spyder in with them. It has a lot more unique parts to set it apart from a regular Boxster S.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are above 6 feet tall and/or have wide shoulders, you may want to test drive a Boxster to make sure you fit. It is a small car from the inside.

If you fit, it's a great car - highly recommended.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw a pair of Spyders last night at the Cayenne party - white and black - hmmm - fitting the theme. Man, the black one was simply stunning - really beautiful and aggressive from any angle. And not that expensive really for a Porsche - seemed like a really nice car for the $$$ - or a really nice car no matter what.

I have to be careful not to go drive one, or that could create issues for me.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
If you are above 6 feet tall and/or have wide shoulders, you may want to test drive a Boxster to make sure you fit. It is a small car from the inside.

If you fit, it's a great car - highly recommended.
Yep, that is the problem I have with the Boxster or Cayman. I am 6'1", and I just can't get comfortable in either one of those cars. Other than that, I wouldn't mind owning either one of them.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:14 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by tincanman99

"48 years ago, in Gmünd, Austria, the very first Porsche sports car was hand built. When it says "hand built," that's the truth, because the entire aluminum body was hand beaten over a wooden buck. All the engine and drivetrain components were made without a machine shop.

Porsche number 356/1 , as it was called, was the only one with the engine mounted in front of the rear axle. It was an open top 2 seater, made with a tubular space frame. Every Porsche 356 made after this had the engine in the rear (behind the axle). It was, of course, air-cooled. "

legit points, BUT IF founders intent, why not boxster made throughout?

needed to create 986/7 to create cash to R&D GT3RS and GT2RS etc which is true founders intent and true of passion of the company. there is no debating this and i am now closing the thread.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

So the CGT was also created to fund development of the 911?

Quick Reply: advice from 911 owners who also have boxster S