Sponsored by:

Sport Mode (PASM) as default?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I never said that. I put the phrase "wife's car" in quotes since the OP referred to the car that way, perhaps indicating non-enthusiast... Of course many women are car enthusiasts, but many are not. My implication was that perhaps PAG set the defaults at the least common denominator as a baseline for the average or sub-average driver (man or woman). This speculation is the result of a conversation on this exact topic with some Porsche people as that was the idea I was left with (unofficially).

As I suggested above... approach it as a cockpit check list.
Ok. And making the most benign setting the default makes some sense for the average driver. Still, it should be the perogative of the more experienced driver to change that default to suit him or her. For legal purposes, Porsche could even display a disclaimer in the settings area of PCM, like they do with the nav system. I can certainly live with the check list approach, but it would be convenient to have the option to program my car to my tastes.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 398 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Ok. And making the most benign setting the default makes some sense for the average driver. Still, it should be the perogative of the more experienced driver to change that default to suit him or her. For legal purposes, Porsche could even display a disclaimer in the settings area of PCM, like they do with the nav system. I can certainly live with the check list approach, but it would be convenient to have the option to program my car to my tastes.
I agree, but today's world is a lawyers' jungle.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd like to defend my wife.

However.....not now & not under this topic
Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree. True, it's not difficult to press the button for Sport mode, or for the PSE for that matter. But the default for both of those items could and should have been made driver programmable in PCM.
i couldnt agree more!. PDK in the default auto mode is a joke.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:29 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Where do you guys find these brittle, porcelain wives that can't handle a car properly? And why do you marry them?
ROFL! "Brittle, porcelain wives"....never heard that one before, I'll have to remember it
Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i do wish our cars had a button similar to the ///M button.. you program what you want it to do and then one button does it (suspension, throttle response, stiffness, so forth)

i also wish our PDK transmissions were more evolved like ferrari f1 where there WASNT a shifter but instead a button for reverse and another button for AUTO and car defaults to manual mode when started...
DITTO - loved the "M" button on my M3 - was a great feature...still had to press it everytime you stated the car - but it took care of three settings at once so it did save you time.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Referring to "Mike in Ca" comment re "average driver" What Porsche owner or any male considers himself to be an "average driver"?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JFA65
Referring to "Mike in Ca" comment re "average driver" What Porsche owner or any male considers himself to be an "average driver"?
My use of "average driver" really was a referrence to ADias' post on the subject. Still, you make a good point. OTOH, as I'm sure you've experienced for yourself while on the road, there are many males and, sadly, even some Porsche drivers, who would have to really stretch to rise to the level of "average".

Quick Reply: Sport Mode (PASM) as default?