Sponsored by:

997.2 Delay when starting car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.2 Delay when starting car?

Does anyone have a near one second delay when starting the 997.2?
I noticed the time appears to get longer and longer between my startups. I turn the key completely to the right but my car has a delay before starting. It doesnt matter whether the A/C, radio or any other electronics is on or off when I start the car. I have really started to notice this more than usual and wondered if this is normal on this particular model. I can't recall my other cars having this issue except my 928S. However, the ignition switch screws were loose in that one and I eventually tightened those again.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

mine has done it since purchase, 1 year and 13k miles later.. still does it..
Old 06-22-2010, 12:00 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

All fuel pumps needs to be primed and it is a good idea to twist the key to the 1st position, hold a second, and start. If it needs more than that, it may be an indication that your HPFP (high-pressure fuel pump) is going bad. This is a known problem on some 1st year 997.2 cars. Easy to fix by replacing the pump.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

ADias,

I have had the fuel pump replaced due to a faulty one. I was in limp mode in the middle of the night while on a trip from Madi Gras in New Orleans.
I am not thinking it is the fuel pump because this delay is the starter not turning or any power being sent to the car when I turn the switch. It seems to be delayed for nearly one second, then all is fine afterwards. I guess I will have to turn switch to position 1, then wait a couple seconds and then turn to the ON positio to see if that helps. Maybe I am just moving to fast.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

This AM I get into my car go out and it wont start after I turn the key all the way to the right. I get an error "Please depress clutch pedal" but I have the clutch fully engaged. I attempt again and it wont start. I check my seat to ensure it hasnt moved and it is still in the correct location. I am 6'3" so I can reach the floor to push the clutch in as required. I try again and push the clutch as hard as I can and the car finally starts.
I guess there must be some linkage that has to be adjusted so that the car can allow it to start correctly. I decide not to drive it since I dont want to get stuck somewhere and cant get it to turnover. I wlll have it towed or drive to the dealer if I can start it tomorrow.
Anyone had this problem before?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
This AM I get into my car go out and it wont start after I turn the key all the way to the right. I get an error "Please depress clutch pedal" but I have the clutch fully engaged. I attempt again and it wont start. I check my seat to ensure it hasnt moved and it is still in the correct location. I am 6'3" so I can reach the floor to push the clutch in as required. I try again and push the clutch as hard as I can and the car finally starts.
I guess there must be some linkage that has to be adjusted so that the car can allow it to start correctly. I decide not to drive it since I dont want to get stuck somewhere and cant get it to turnover. I wlll have it towed or drive to the dealer if I can start it tomorrow.
Anyone had this problem before?
My WAG is clutch interlock switch. It is sticking and remains closed when the clutch pedal is depressed and as a result the starter is not energized and the engine does not crank.

The switch is not very much money: Less than $15 IIRC. If one is reasonably limber and mechanically inclined he can change it himself.

Or, if one prefers have it done at the dealer. I sometimes get little things like this taken care of when I bring my car in for other services.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark for the info. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow and hope it is a simple fix.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 PM
aigle836
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it is the switch at the Clutch Pedal.
My Targa 4S 997.2 did the same thing and I had the switch changed at the dealer. Dont wait or you could get stranded. I waited until for my regular service and almost did not make it a couple of days before. Took me 5 minutes to get it started.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
PCC
Instructor

Just curious how common this problem is. I have a 997.2 with 8k miles and have had the clutch switch replaced twice already. Dealer is good about it but still a hassle to get to the dealer
Old 08-26-2011, 01:38 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2011 C2S PDK has no startup delay when turn switch.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 210 Posts

My '09 C4S Cab and '11 GT3 have no delay either.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice if the fuel pump would prime when you unlock the car in a similar fashion to the way diesel cars switch on the glow plugs to avoid you having to wait for them to warm up when you turn on the ignition.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
DWF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely clutch interlock switch. I'm on my third one in 1.5 years. There is a bad batch of these. They become progressively worse requiring that you push harder and harder on the clutch for the engine to start.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

BoxsterG,

Same thing happened to my C4S once. Couldn't get it started. Removed key, tried again. Rewind, repeat. Same error signal on my dash. Finally started, and never, ever had this same problem again. I wanted to post here, but thought it embarrassing not being able to start my car. All along thinking I was doing something fundamentally wrong for something so elementary. Guess not.
I am curious if your problem persists, or if it fixes itself like mine. I am thinking long-term I will need the same solution as yours, so maybe I need to bring it up next time I’m in for warranty service.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
simrohor
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 09 C2S, starting about late 2010. It would take multiple tries to crank the engine. Sometimes I would get the warning that the clutch pedal needed to be pressed while my left foot was all the way into it. I was dreading HPFP or the clutch sensor. In May/June I was away for 6 weeks and before I left I disconnected the battery. Upon return and reconnection, it has cranked at the first attempt.

My car is up for the HPFP campaign and I will see what happens after it is replaced.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Delay when starting car?