Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Delay when starting car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the clutch switch was replaced I didnt have this delay issue any longer. I guess it was a delay in the switch not allowing the engine to start due to the faulty switch.
The HPFP issue was resolved after it was replaced.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Porsche605
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 09 with PDK and my car has the same delay problems. Is there a similar switch for PDK transmissions?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

My 06 .1 does it also but might be the starter cable,not one of three batteries.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
Does anyone have a near one second delay when starting the 997.2?
I noticed the time appears to get longer and longer between my startups. I turn the key completely to the right but my car has a delay before starting. It doesnt matter whether the A/C, radio or any other electronics is on or off when I start the car. I have really started to notice this more than usual and wondered if this is normal on this particular model. I can't recall my other cars having this issue except my 928S. However, the ignition switch screws were loose in that one and I eventually tightened those again.
My 1995 LS400 "normalizes" the various ECU engine control servomotors, often stepper motors, operating "open" loop, each time I switch the car off. The impression I get from the starting operation of my 996 C4 is that only happens once I move the key to START.

Modern day engine control systems make liberal use (IACV, EGR valves, cruise control, even throttle plate positional control) of relatively inexpensive stepper/pulse type servomotors, most of them operating in "open Loop" mode.

Stepper motors, "pulse" servomotors, must be calibrated/normalized each time the power is restored, or in the alternative before the power is switched off so when power is restored they are in a KNOWN position. Some of these have only "end stop" positional feedback

Disconnect your battery in a quiet environment and now when you reconnect listen to all the engine compartment servomotors normalizing, recalibrating.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
BAD911S
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 06 997.1 with the "depress clutch pedal" message. It got worse and worse. I changed the clutch pedal switch ($15) and still had the same problem. Took the car to the dealer and they changed the "neutral switch" This is in the same circuit so the message is the same as the clutch pedal switch. Haven't had the problem since.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

My 997.1 is slow as well (cranks for two seconds before firing), just changed battery (still had original) and there was improvement. My trouble is, start car, run, stop, try to restart immediately and no luck. Wait 30sec, then restart and no issue. This is better now with new battery. My 996 starts much faster. I think I may have a fuel delivery issue as well , ie pump or filter.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Porsche605
Advanced

Originally Posted by wwest
My 1995 LS400 "normalizes" the various ECU engine control servomotors, often stepper motors, operating "open" loop, each time I switch the car off. The impression I get from the starting operation of my 996 C4 is that only happens once I move the key to START.

Modern day engine control systems make liberal use (IACV, EGR valves, cruise control, even throttle plate positional control) of relatively inexpensive stepper/pulse type servomotors, most of them operating in "open Loop" mode.

Stepper motors, "pulse" servomotors, must be calibrated/normalized each time the power is restored, or in the alternative before the power is switched off so when power is restored they are in a KNOWN position. Some of these have only "end stop" positional feedback

Disconnect your battery in a quiet environment and now when you reconnect listen to all the engine compartment servomotors normalizing, recalibrating.
That is a good idea. However, my battery is only a year old so I am hoping that isn't the case, but it is something to check though.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Porsche605
Advanced

Originally Posted by tgavem
My 997.1 is slow as well (cranks for two seconds before firing), just changed battery (still had original) and there was improvement. My trouble is, start car, run, stop, try to restart immediately and no luck. Wait 30sec, then restart and no issue. This is better now with new battery. My 996 starts much faster. I think I may have a fuel delivery issue as well , ie pump or filter.
The problem with my car is I'll press and hold the brake pedal and then turn the key. At that point the engine doesn't crank and nothing happens.

To get my car going I have to remove my foot from the brake pedal and press my foot down on the brake pedal again and hold, then turn the key as usual. At that point my car will start.

So, I am wondering if there is some type of switch that isn't registering the action and as a result I have to press the brake pedal twice before the car starts. Again, I have a PDK vs a manual. So, I don't know what is different there, but I would like to get to the botton of this.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Wolfk
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD911S
I had the same problem with my 06 997.1 with the "depress clutch pedal" message. It got worse and worse. I changed the clutch pedal switch ($15) and still had the same problem. Took the car to the dealer and they changed the "neutral switch" This is in the same circuit so the message is the same as the clutch pedal switch. Haven't had the problem since.
There is a also a neutral switch in the manual transmission?
Anybody ever remove their clutch switch and jump it out? You can do this in the 993, makes life a little easier.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Delay when starting car?