Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aligning Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010 | 10:43 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Default Aligning Headlights

I'm looking for instructions on how to align the headlights on a 997.2 w/ normal bi-xenon. The twist is that I'm not looking for how to focus the main projector (which I've been able to do via the **** on the inside of the luggage compartment) but rather the halogen bulbs that come on with the high beams (located directly bellow the projector). I couldn't find any instructions on how to do this, and I just noticed that the left bulb is a fair amount higher then the right. Help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-20-2010 | 02:35 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

high beams get aligned? i thought they just shot the light everywhere.lol
Old 06-20-2010 | 08:10 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

i would think the halogen bulbs just follow the bixenons so if they were aligned the halogens would be too. In addition the halogens only fill in the light pattern that is right in front of the car. the hid's get to spread all over from low to high. contrary to common knowledge our hihg beams are basically the hids getting uncovered and produce the high beam pattern, the extra halogens become the low beam pattern.
Old 06-20-2010 | 08:48 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
high beams get aligned? i thought they just shot the light everywhere.lol
They do shoot everywhere, however, when the highbeams are activated, a set of normal halogen bulbs are activated as well, which are rather concentrated. I had the lights up against a dark surface the other day and for the first time noticed that they were unaligned.

Originally Posted by slicky rick
i would think the halogen bulbs just follow the bixenons so if they were aligned the halogens would be too. In addition the halogens only fill in the light pattern that is right in front of the car. the hid's get to spread all over from low to high.
Because the halogens are tied to the high beams and not the low, the adjustment for the low beams does not effect the halogen position. The issue is that the halogens, particularly the left, is aimed too far up, and instead of illuminating the ground, is pointing off into the distance.
Old 06-21-2010 | 02:21 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

when one aims the bi xenons properly the halogens are automatically adjusted
Old 06-21-2010 | 04:15 PM
Minok
Drifting

If there is a disconnect between how the halogens are aligned relative to the xenon projector from left to right, this may indicate a mechanical issue in one of the light assemblies (ie they fixed relative alignment is wonky on one). I'd pull the lamp assembly out and examine them more closely.

Quick Reply: Aligning Headlights