Sponsored by:

PCM Telephone Module Success!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 PM
thinklabinc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM Telephone Module Success!

My 997.1 2007 C4S Cab came with the several options which I am starting to take advantage of, one of which was the telephone module. I've read a lot posted but was still confused so if someone has the same year/model/location (northern NJ)this should help:

Go to an AT&T store, they sell pay as you go accounts called "Go Phone". I purchased a card for $100 (+ $7 NJ tax) that works like a charm, phone, caller ID, text messaging very nicely. The card value is good for 1 year and you have to re-charge it by then or before if you use up the minutes. The sales rep gave me an inactive card to try out before I made the purchase, you should too. When you put the inactive SIM card in, you should get a signal strength indicator and the name of the network (Cingular in northern NJ), before any activation. If you want a phone too, I believe it is $30, otherwise you walk out with the card and a phone number for $107.

I still haven’t figured out the shortcuts to dial, etc without scrolling, but it works nicely and the system seems to be powerful enough to get pretty good coverage.

Next on my list is the Extended Navigation feature.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it just sit in the SIM slot? Although I set up BT with a Tooki, if I was to get a card that fits in the SIM slot would it work as another phone, or did the car have to have proper telephone wiring to make it functional?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:18 AM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Why not use the current sim i have with my AT&T phone? Can i take it out of my blackberry and put in in the car? Would that work?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:43 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the PCM Phone Module in my 2007 997.1S.

I used AT&T as my cell phone carrier, so I went to the AT&T store and added a family plan to my existing account. The staff at the AT&T store gave me a SIM card, I walked out to my car, inserted the SIM in the PCM slot, and ta-ta it worked like a charm. The family plan also added hundreds of additional minutes and text messages to my account, which were share-able with my cell phone.

Regards,
Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by jgoga
Why not use the current sim i have with my AT&T phone? Can i take it out of my blackberry and put in in the car? Would that work?
Try it and let us know.

It may not, because of the way US SIM cards work. I think T-Mobile and AT&T are the only GSM networks in the country. Elsewhere in the world, you can switch carriers, and take the SIM card with you. Your phonebook comes along. Here, the two networks use different SIM cards that are incompatible. New phone + new carrier = new SIM card.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I use Verizon so I have a World edition Blackberry with a SIM card that enables me to use it outside the US. I have not tried it in my 911 but I doubt it would work.

One of my friends in Germany has a Boxster. He uses T-Comm and they gave him two SIM cars for the one phone number. One card sits in his cell phone and the other stays in his car. When he starts his car, the cell phone is automatically deactivated and the SIM card in his Porsche takes over. When the car is shut down, the cell phone takes over again. I would guess that is how it should work here too?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:45 AM
thinklabinc
Advanced

Yes, all I did was put the little sim card in the drawer.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:45 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I tried but it says no telephone, does this mean i don't have the module?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

That's correct. You have to have the module to get it to function in the first place.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the PCM telephone module. I just took the sim card from my iphone and it works no problems.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:25 PM
thinklabinc
Advanced

That would be cool, but I doubt our network carriers have that capability here. I did try the verizon store first, but they did not have a compatible sim product, and they confirmed the sim card in my blackberry would not work.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The car has to have the Telephone Option enabled for the SIM card in slot method to work.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 PM
W211
Racer

I'm in Canada with Rogers so different conception issues. I bought my 2007 with the telephone module but disconnected it as I find the reception quite poor.

I switched over to Tooki which I much prefer.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get Google Voice (voice.google.com), you can select a new phone number which can be set to ring all your phone numbers or just some. So if you are in your car, the car phone will ring (as well as the other phones that you have set Google Voice to ring) and if you are out of your car, the same number will ring your other phones (say your mobile and your home phone or that of a vacation house.) In other words, with Google Voice you don't have to worry about missing a call directed to your car phone when you are out of the car or, conversely, having to fumble for your mobile when you are driving.

Google Voice also provides unlimited free text messaging and free domestic calls. International calls are cheap. There are other features but I don't recall them because I don't use them.

For people being harassed, you can tell GV to block certain numbers which don't just get a busy signal but a message that the number that they have called is not in service. Very nice!

There are lots of messaging and forwarding permutations.

If you miss a call, GV will take the message like a regular answering machine and also send you an email and/or a text message with the transliterated text of the voice message converted to text!

Oh yes, it's free.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Obviously, you have to have a second card that you can leave in the car slot all the time. (Otherwise I just can't see someone taking their phone apart every time they get in their car). Also, with two different SIM cars, won't you wind up with two different contact lists? I would hate to add a ph number to one SIM and find later that number wasn't in the card in the car.

Quick Reply: PCM Telephone Module Success!