Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: PDK shift button implementation, is it NON-INTUITIVE?
Nope, it makes sense to me
74.14%
Yes, what was Porsche thinking?
24.14%
Yes, but i have many modern Italian supercars, so of course it is crazy.
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

PDK, do you REALLY find the buttons non-intuitive / a hassle to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I found myself accidentally hitting my buttons during autocross. Then I upgraded to the paddle wheel and no longer have accidental shifts. So I prefer the paddles. I think it's a personal preference and everyone's different.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:00 AM
sub150
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orange260z
So far, I've found that I like Porsche's button or toggle systems on the steering wheels, particularly the ones for the PDK generation. Moving from a car with L&R "pull" paddles takes a bit of changing the muscle memory, but once there I find the system very nice to use. Although I haven't tracked the car, I haven't had any accidental shifts during spirited driving.

The console lever, on the other hand, is a bigger struggle. Of all the cars I've had with "Tip-style" shifters, I've found the push down/pull up (as in BMWs) to be easier to get used to, so I would say for me it's more intuitive. I guess with Porsche one of the problems to go this route would be that they could end up with the toggles and the lever shifting in opposite directions... but I'd be ok with that!

Anyone find an aftermarket solution for the lever shift pattern?
IMO, BMW has it right (along with literally any race car with sequential shifter) that pull is for an upshift and push is for a downshift. I find it incredibly counterintuitive to PULL for downshifts rather than push...just the thought of heading into a corner and pulling back on the "shifter" makes my head spin. You body is being pushed forward by the braking power yet I have to move my arm backwards twice to shift down 2 gears?!!?!?!?!??!!?

If Porsche were to fix it, they would have Pull as upshift on the console and the paddles and Push as downshift. The RX8 has this feature which maintains the ability to shift up or down with one hand on the wheel.

It looks a little weird but you are downshifting with a press of your thumb and upshifting with the pull of your middle, ring, pinky finger.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:48 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Like many have already stated, I've accidentally hit the up shift button while on the track - they're not necessarily unintuitive, the push/pull direction makes sense.....I just think the design is bad (locating them on the wheel where your palm can accidentally hit them) . At the end of the day the cynic in me thinks that wheel exists only to extract another $600 from buyers when they build a car and have to upgrade to the paddle wheel.

Soze hooked me up with a link to an alcantara paddle wheel which arrives tomorrow - can't wait to fit it !
Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

They are so horrible I had the new steering wheel on order before I even picked up the car from the dealer after purchase.

I suppose if you just leave the car in drive it's not a problem.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:37 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Q 997.2 C4S
I found myself accidentally hitting my buttons during autocross. Then I upgraded to the paddle wheel and no longer have accidental shifts. So I prefer the paddles. I think it's a personal preference and everyone's different.
Same here. I've accidentally hit the buttons as well. I much prefer the paddle design on my previous E90: Push the top part with your thumb to downshift, pull the backside of the lever towards you with the rest of your fingers to upshift. Either paddle works the same way.

BMW also got the console shifter correct as well: Pull towards you to upshift, push away from you to downshift. Porsche screwed this up IMHO and they finally agree: the shift pattern for the 991.2 was reversed so that it matches BMW's.

I wish I could change this on my car. Even after a year and a half of ownership I find it non-intuitive and I have to think about which direction to move the shifter. It's not instinctive like it was with the BMW.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Every car interface is different. I am afraid those who are challenged to quickly adapt when jumping from one interface to the other may have other more concerning issues.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:34 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Every car interface is different. I am afraid those who are challenged to quickly adapt when jumping from one interface to the other may have other more concerning issues.
After 6 years, I still find mine to work perfectly fo me - the ergonimics is great. But I can also appreciate that some would prefer the more typical configuration which is available. Great to have choices. (and the stick guys are sayin', "yall's all so lame!" )

Quick Reply: PDK, do you REALLY find the buttons non-intuitive / a hassle to use?