Sponsored by:

Continental ExtremeContact DW

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Continental ExtremeContact DW

Anyone's have tried these tires yet? Seems like the latest to be available for our sizes, and at a GREAT price!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....oModClar=Coupe
Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I just got word on these tires. I looked into them and they're not a bad street tire. If you DD the car it'll make sense to put these on. The wear rating is about 340 if I remember correctly so they 'should' last 30% longer than a PS2 (220 wear).

Obviously you'll sacrifice a little in the way of traction though. On a related note, check pricing at Canadian tire. For $6.99 you'll get a complete road hazard warranty and there is a deal on now where you get a $60 prepaid mastercard with the purchase of for tires. PM me if they give you a hard time and I'll steer you in the right direction.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:14 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atr911
Yeah, I just got word on these tires. I looked into them and they're not a bad street tire. If you DD the car it'll make sense to put these on. The wear rating is about 340 if I remember correctly so they 'should' last 30% longer than a PS2 (220 wear).

Obviously you'll sacrifice a little in the way of traction though. On a related note, check pricing at Canadian tire. For $6.99 you'll get a complete road hazard warranty and there is a deal on now where you get a $60 prepaid mastercard with the purchase of for tires. PM me if they give you a hard time and I'll steer you in the right direction.
I like to know how these perform against PS2. Tirerack test shows these are VERY VERY close, and better in wet.

Canadian Tires? I never bought any decent tires from those... I might be able to get road hazard, but then they charge 80% more than tirerack!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

The new Bridgestone RE50A N1 (not N0) are very good.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911

Keep in mind that a wear rating from one company does not relay the the wear rating of another. Thus, the PS2 rating of 220 means absolutely nothing comparing it to a 340 from this tire.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:25 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I posted my thoughts on the DWS, which is an all-season that will even do well in the snow (mine did on my 330i). Surprised that the DWS was on-par with the PS2. Was considering the DW for another car, but may just go DWS to cover low temperature driving.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 AM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned the previous version of this tire... The contiextreme contact came out to much (and similar) hoopla back in 03 or 04. Everyone was like, 'wow it is good on snow', 'wow it's as good as my summers'. Put it on two cars. Neither. It was just an a/s tire and a discount one at best. Ok on snow (though certainly no winter tire replacement0 but those aggressive tread blocks were very loud otherwise. Dry grip was ok as well but very soft sidewalls caused a lot of steering feel loss, had to add +5psi to my a4 from previous tire to get feel back.

All other higher end and more $$$ a/s tires that I've owned were better all around (p-zero nero a/s, mich pilot sport a/s and potenza 960 a/s).

Not sure how different the DWS is from the CEC but I'm a feel fanatic and I wouldn't put it on a porsche if it were me.

Edit: Just saw the thread was on DW's which should be summer-only. On those I have no comment. But I would be really surprised if the DWS improved on the PS2 in anything but snow/ice.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 AM
swajames
Racer

I'm looking hard at the new DW for my Lexus LS too as it looks like an excellent tire for a daily driver and it is supposed to be very quiet. It is the top rated tire in its category on the Tire Rack user survey, but the number of driven miles is low compared to the more established class leaders and thus likely to be less reliable. Still, it looks like a very good tire and and an even better one for the money.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:51 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

An honest question:
Does Continental make ANY decent tire?? If not, have they ever?

Reason I ask is two-fold:
First, after hearing all sorts of hoopla about how good Continental was (and "for the price"), I had a set of PremierContact tires installed on my wife's car. They were hideous. What I should have done is taken them back and got something different.. and I didn't. They sounded cheap- a pingy resonance that sounded like I was riding on cheap air tanks that were being tapped on. They didn't last (this was a Family Car, DD) either, and we got about 1/2 the projected tread life out of them before they were shot (on highway driving, mind you). Mine were kept properly rotated and inflated. Just absolute crap tires. The Yoko's I replaced them with were a night and day difference in quality.

Second, I understand that MB is installing Continentals on their S-Class autos, and they aren't worth a boot full of pee, either. Everybody is complaining about them.

I would go with something from Yokohama ( a great tire mfg) Bridgestone, etc... and would stay clear of the Continentals. I hate to say that, but it is what it is. Spend a bit more and get a quality tire and get your $$'s worth.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:56 PM
acao
Racer

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
An honest question:
In my experience, no. I've acquired cars with SportContact 2 and 3, and both times, threw away the new tires and replaced them. Some people may like them, I just don't know who they are.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
An honest question:

Reason I ask is two-fold:
First, after hearing all sorts of hoopla about how good Continental was (and "for the price"), I had a set of PremierContact tires installed on my wife's car. They were hideous. What I should have done is taken them back and got something different.. and I didn't. They sounded cheap- a pingy resonance that sounded like I was riding on cheap air tanks that were being tapped on. They didn't last (this was a Family Car, DD) either, and we got about 1/2 the projected tread life out of them before they were shot (on highway driving, mind you). Mine were kept properly rotated and inflated. Just absolute crap tires. The Yoko's I replaced them with were a night and day difference in quality.

Second, I understand that MB is installing Continentals on their S-Class autos, and they aren't worth a boot full of pee, either. Everybody is complaining about them.

I would go with something from Yokohama ( a great tire mfg) Bridgestone, etc... and would stay clear of the Continentals. I hate to say that, but it is what it is. Spend a bit more and get a quality tire and get your $$'s worth.
Well, one personal experience cannot account for a tire brand to be good or bad. There is very postivie reviews of ExtremeContact DWS, and I've had a great set of older version on my GTI, which did very well. I can guarantee you MB wouldn't put POOR tires on their s-class $100K+ cars without extensive testing!

Overall, Continental is just as good of a brand as Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Yokohama, Dunlop. How their top of the line compares to top of line from other manufacturers is difficult to answer without proper testing.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys, the DWS is nothing like any other Conti tire, and I've owned many over the years. I track my Porsches and BMWs before that. I've run All sorts of summer tires like PS2s, R-comps, winter tires, etc. I'm telling you, look into the new Conti DWS and you will be shocked. I have several thousand miles on a set on my 330i and am amazed - it's like the PS2 but better in wet, cold, and snow and comparable in dry. Read my reviews on them here at the formum (try a search, you'll find it). Also, read the reviews and better yet the road tests at TireRack (apples to apples, same course, etc.).

I've had Contis I hated and couldn't wait to get rid of. Not the DWS and I'd put them on my 997S in a heartbeat as my "daily" tire and use the R-comps on my track wheels for the track.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Guys, the DWS is nothing like any other Conti tire, and I've owned many over the years. I track my Porsches and BMWs before that. I've run All sorts of summer tires like PS2s, R-comps, winter tires, etc. I'm telling you, look into the new Conti DWS and you will be shocked. I have several thousand miles on a set on my 330i and am amazed - it's like the PS2 but better in wet, cold, and snow and comparable in dry. Read my reviews on them here at the formum (try a search, you'll find it). Also, read the reviews and better yet the road tests at TireRack (apples to apples, same course, etc.).

I've had Contis I hated and couldn't wait to get rid of. Not the DWS and I'd put them on my 997S in a heartbeat as my "daily" tire and use the R-comps on my track wheels for the track.
Nicely said...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got a set ordered from Tire Rack, they should be here by the end of the month. I'll post a review after I've had some experience.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
I can guarantee you MB wouldn't put POOR tires on their s-class $100K+ cars without extensive testing!

Overall, Continental is just as good of a brand as Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Yokohama, Dunlop. How their top of the line compares to top of line from other manufacturers is difficult to answer without proper testing.
Hmm, and that would be why owners of new S-class MB's are generally VERY unhappy with the Conti's that are OEM on their new cars? (look on some of the MB forums- this is the #1 complaint.) The amount of dissatisfaction in this issue is pretty compelling. Look, I'm looking for a reason to give Continental a second chance someday; but thus far what I'm reading in reviews keeps pushing me farther and farther away from them. I was in the Auto industry for many years, and have had much experience with tires as a result- many different brands over a 20 year period; not to mention tires for my own personal cars over 34 years of driving. The set of Continentals I had (granted, they were not the model the OP is talking about) I really wanted to be a smash success. They were not, sad to say.

RonCT: your report on that ExtremeContact DWS is VERY encouraging.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-14-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DW