Sponsored by:

PDK Weight Optimization

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Default PDK Weight Optimization

Has anyone looked at the use of ceramic bearings as a way to reduce the weight of the PDK?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I do not think that changing out the bearing would amount to much weight savings.

Reguardless of the weight of the PDK over a 6 speed manual...car for car the PDK will be faster due to fast gear changes and a better gear ratio.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

By themselves, I am sure you are correct and the bearings will only yield a few pounds. But one has to start somewhere. The interesting question is what will add up to 20 to 30 lbs.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:05 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like quite a bit of work for just a few lb's here and there, maybe look into buying a treadmill, would be cheaper and easier way to lose weight on the car.. ;-) or go for lighter wheels and lose weight where it matters most.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:29 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Has anyone looked at the use of ceramic bearings as a way to reduce the weight of the PDK?

The 60 odd pounds PDK weighs over a manual are really irrelevant. I purposefully ordered my car nixing Bose and ordering manual sports seats. That weight savings is worthwhile.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree. The 25kg extra weight of the PDK is significant in two regards:

0-60 times flatter the PDK's performance when, in real-world driving, it is in-gear acceleration which makes a car faster (and feel it). The manual C2S is half a second (yes, nearly 10%!!!) faster in Porsche's official in-gear figures (source: Porsche 911 handbook).

These cars are not about straight-line speed. They are, above all, about how they feel in the twisties. And that extra weight (the equivalent of a child on board) is going to hurt cornering feel and performance.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Reducing considerable amounts of weight in PDK or a manual transmission, particularly rotating weight (and, in the case of ceramic bearings, also providing a better, reduced friction bearing surface) will help. Notwithstanding, it is true that the average amateur driver will generally not be able to take full, if any, advantage of it and so a treadmill might be even more usefull.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
By themselves, I am sure you are correct and the bearings will only yield a few pounds. But one has to start somewhere. The interesting question is what will add up to 20 to 30 lbs.
Remove the weight from somewhere else. Rear seats maybe.

Ceramic bearings that can withstand the loads/forces in the PDK may not be that much lighter than their steel counterparts.

Besides if the extra weight of the PDK is so horrendous that one is contemplating incurring what can only be a huge expense to have PDK bearings swapped out and replaced with possibly lighter ones in an attempt to lighten the car why in the world was PDK checked on the order form to begin with?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Sir:

Not trying to sell anything, was simply asking. As to why, in street use there is no reason. In race, and not club race use, there may be many good reasons in a paddle shift type transmission.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:31 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
I disagree. The 25kg extra weight of the PDK is significant in two regards:

0-60 times flatter the PDK's performance when, in real-world driving, it is in-gear acceleration which makes a car faster (and feel it). The manual C2S is half a second (yes, nearly 10%!!!) faster in Porsche's official in-gear figures (source: Porsche 911 handbook).

These cars are not about straight-line speed. They are, above all, about how they feel in the twisties. And that extra weight (the equivalent of a child on board) is going to hurt cornering feel and performance.
manual is not listed as faster in porsche materials...other way around. pdk is quicker by .02 to 60mph..gauranteed pdk is quicker than manual
Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The 60 odd pounds PDK weighs over a manual are really irrelevant. I purposefully ordered my car nixing Bose and ordering manual sports seats. That weight savings is worthwhile.
Funny, it's ok to loose the radio for how much weight? But the Trans doesn't matter???
Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

You can install a light weight fly wheel in for the PDK. That will reduce somewhere around 17lbs. See the June issue of Excellence. Possibly ceramic beering would reduce rolling resistance but does anyone make these bearings and how will they hold up?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought that new turbo was supposed to overcome any PDK weight issues, no?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
...These cars are not about straight-line speed. They are, above all, about how they feel in the twisties. And that extra weight (the equivalent of a child on board) is going to hurt cornering feel and performance.
I suspect you haven't driven a PDK on a fast demanding twisty road. Have you? I have.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Funny, it's ok to loose the radio for how much weight? But the Trans doesn't matter???
It's not the radio... it's the extra speakers and the heavy sub-woofer (easily 30 lb if not more). I bet that my Bose-less, manual sports seat PDk car is lighter than the typical 6-speed car out there.

--

Side note: once again these threads turn out the prejudiced manual-tranny-owners bashing the PDK in one way or another. One does not see threads by PDK owners trashing the 6-speed manual. I've had both trannies - I like them both and I do not trash one over the other.

Quick Reply: PDK Weight Optimization