Sponsored by:

NJ to MA to LA and back for 6 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
Default NJ to MA to LA and back for 6 weeks

Hope to see a few of you guys along the way.
Any parts of route 66 still worth seeing?
Will be going through a northern route to Denver, then LA, San Diego, Santa FE, etc, winging it!!
Last years Westfalia trip was marred by a Deer hit west of Denver.
I do not intend for this to happen again!!!!!!! Especially in the P car!
Look for the NJ plates, and the broad smile!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:02 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Its really the long way but I would highly recommend a run down the PCH from Monterey, CA south. If you can't I would recommend Zion National Park, and Arches. If you plan to do a couple of National parks buy a one year park pass. Its like 75 bucks and will pay its self back if you do 3 or more of the big parks. PM me and I will give you a link to all the photos from our cross country drive. I can also give you some recommendations on hotels places to stay, places to avoid etc. Do you plan to drive this solo or are you bringing company?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going west from Denver on I70, you will run out of road at I15. I would like to put in a good word for US50 as a fun way to go through the wasteland of Nevada. Okay, there is nothing interesting in Nevada -- and Las Vegas and Reno are far to the west of the end of I70 . But US50, AKA "the loneliest road in America" is a straight flat road through the desert that invites very high speed. It is two lanes wide with wide borders and there is nowhere for police to hide if they had the inclination to do so. I never saw any. But it is smooth and straight -- need I say more.

Basically, Nevada (like Kansas and Nebraska) is a lot of flat land that must be traversed -- perhaps, 'endured' is a better word, when you drive across the continent. Kansas and Nebraska are boring. Nevada is a wasteland. But, in a fast car, US50 can be fun. Not only (as I just said) is there nowhere for the constabulary to hide, but you can see to the horizon in front and behind you. Nothing but sagebrush, sand and smooth flat asphalt.

Just make sure you have enough gas. Fill up when you can.

If you decide to head for San Francisco, visit the State Museum in Carson City, South Lake Tahoe and possibly Yosemite. There is no way to avoid Nevada (unless you go south to I10) but you can have fun on US50.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 PM
CHV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going through KC, let me know will try to hook you up w/ some great BBQ. Great Porsche dealer here too, Aristocrat, they sell a ton, just sold 3 turbo S's!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Its really the long way but I would highly recommend a run down the PCH from Monterey, CA south. If you can't I would recommend Zion National Park, and Arches. If you plan to do a couple of National parks buy a one year park pass. Its like 75 bucks and will pay its self back if you do 3 or more of the big parks. PM me and I will give you a link to all the photos from our cross country drive. I can also give you some recommendations on hotels places to stay,
places to avoid etc. Do you plan to drive this solo or are you bringing company?
Wife & I. We hit Bryce last trip, possibly Zion this year.
We will hit LA & San Diego also then Santa Fe .
We have golden Eagle park passes.
In Cleveland at R & R Hall of fame, now.
Thanks all.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Wife & I. We hit Bryce last trip, possibly Zion this year.
We will hit LA & San Diego also then Santa Fe .
We have golden Eagle park passes.
In Cleveland at R & R Hall of fame, now.
Thanks all.
If you're near Detroit, go to the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn. Well worth the trip and time if you can. Travel safe.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:55 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
If you're near Detroit, go to the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn. Well worth the trip and time if you can. Travel safe.
I was there many years ago, a fascinating place.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

We almost came to a quick end twice today.
As I was about to get into an exit ramp, the guy in front of us stopped short, I stopped quickly, the guy behind me stopped by pulling off to the side to avoid me....phew!
Earlier in Iowa, a blinding rainstorm caused much havoc for 5 tense minutes..We were unscathed..
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Enjoy your long and very slight uphill drive to Denver. Pikes Peak???? That was the one stop I couldn't make on my trip as I hit 3 feet of snow in Denver. If you haven't passed Omaha yet check out Picolo Petes. If you're lucky you may cross paths with Warren Buffett.

2202 South 20th Street
Omaha, NE 68108-3848

Quick Reply: NJ to MA to LA and back for 6 weeks