Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010 | 07:21 PM
rjahr01
Advanced

Default Wind

Does the wind push you guys around as well... I was driving today down the interstate around 85 mph and I just felt like I was being pushed around in the lane. Is this normal, I came from a m3 and a range rover ...
Old 06-06-2010 | 07:24 PM
camhabib
Instructor

I think it's all going to depend on how strong the wind is, which is a variable of your environment. The car, like any, definitely has some play with crosswinds. Simple fact of life.
Old 06-06-2010 | 07:38 PM
akw
Racer

I've had this happen especially on exit from an overpass.....doesn't happen often though.
Old 06-06-2010 | 07:56 PM
rjahr01
Advanced

well i'm in KY and their are some good open stretches of hills and farm land it just felt like I was being hit and pushed two feet each time.. winds were 25-30mph on weather.com which doesn't seem like a lot...
Old 06-06-2010 | 07:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I feel fairly stable in this car in windy conditions. However, when it gets truly windy or roads are wet I manually intervene and deploy the rear spoiler. I think it helps to keep me planted in such conditions.
Old 06-07-2010 | 12:28 AM
s329
Racer

Funny this came up, today in NY there were some rather gusty storms that passed through and I definitely felt the swaying especially when there weren't any trees around to protect me. Wind was probably around 30-40mph today fyi.
Old 06-07-2010 | 01:03 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by rjahr01
well i'm in KY and their are some good open stretches of hills and farm land it just felt like I was being hit and pushed two feet each time.. winds were 25-30mph on weather.com which doesn't seem like a lot...
Wind speed can vary considerably from one locale to another. If one area is experiencing 25 to 30 mph winds another nearby area could be experiencing considerably higher speed winds (or lower). Terrain plays a role along with of course the natural variation in weather even for two relatively close locations.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-07-2010 | 01:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by rjahr01
Does the wind push you guys around as well... I was driving today down the interstate around 85 mph and I just felt like I was being pushed around in the lane. Is this normal, I came from a m3 and a range rover ...
I've driven in some pretty high speed wind -- most often in my 02 Boxster cause I've driven this car alot but also more recently in my 03 Turbo -- and both cars are rather stable in wind and both the Boxster and the Turbo are the most stable cars I've driven in high winds.

A very strong cross wind of course is noticable in either car and I sometimes will slow down just in case, especially if rain (or worse) is accompaning the high wind.

Coming across eastern CO late one night on old 40 highway leaving I-70 at Limon and was cooking along - very empty out there and at the time of night no traffic (not much any time of day actually) -- with the wind just blowing in from almost perpendicular to the car's direction of travel, from its right side.

Suddenly what turned out to be a very large sage brush blew onto the road directly in my car's path. No time to stop, slow down or swerve and the car hit it straight on with me barely having enough time to brace for the worst. Like hitting a cotton ball, almost.. The thing just disintegrated. Relieved I soon was smoking along again and the same thing happened. After one or two more like this I slowed down. Just in time to have the V1 chirp a warning. A few moments later, out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night here comes what was a sheriff's car with a moving radar system active.

(Side note: Sometime later months probably I cleaned out the radiator ducts and pulled out a large amount of sage brush debris, of course.)

Another time driving west on I-20 in west Texas. Wind blowing from the south real strong, and I mean real strong all day. Nothing out there to slow the wind down and it can just howl in. Blowing so hard I drive through several mini dust storms. Car getting shoved around some that's how hard it was blowing. But road dry and and it was daylight and visibility good (except when passing through dust so I slowed down then). Strong, very strong wind and hitting car straight on its left side. I know from experience when the wind blows like this in the late fall the weather's going to change.

Sure enough, just a few miles from where I-20 connects with I-10 the wind changed direction over a span of maybe 30 miles or so, and ending up coming instead from a more northwesterly direction. Air tempeature dropped. Got a bit chilly actualy. Then I ran into heavy rain. Then it got cold. Stopped to fill up the Boxster's gas tank at a gas station shortly after getting on west bound I-10 and I when I pulled out to get back on the freeway big wet snowflakes were coming down. As I drove on left the snow behind and hit more heavy rain. But closer to El Paso weather improved and it was rather nice in El Paso. But later on that night in AZ on I-10 just east of Bensen more wet snow.

One thing that is critical to a stable car in high winds (and actually anytime) is proper tire inflation pressures. A low tire or under-inflated tires can have the car a bit wiggly and of course run the risk of a tire overheating and faiiling.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-07-2010 | 02:48 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by s329
Funny this came up, today in NY there were some rather gusty storms that passed through and I definitely felt the swaying especially when there weren't any trees around to protect me. Wind was probably around 30-40mph today fyi.
In the 7 months I've owned the car, today was the first I'd noticed this. Not only strong wind, but really gusty, so more evident.
Old 06-07-2010 | 11:04 AM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Many years ago when I was driving a 356C I read that cross wind in an aerodynamic car was a problem. This writer said in a cross wind the car tended to turn into the wind because the drag was less head on that it was from the side.
Old 06-07-2010 | 11:59 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Crosswinds not as noticeable compared to former BMW. In general, I believe that official wind speed measurements are taken approximately 4 to 6 meters off the ground and in fairly open locations.

Quick Reply: Wind