Sponsored by:

Is the Grass Greener?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Handoogies
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Grass Greener?

Don't know what it is, I want other cars as well in my car group. GTRs are looking mighty attractive price point, Ferraris....thats just a matter of time. Anyone here get car crazy just from all the great toys out there and then think a 911 is just, well, a 911. We are all boys with expensive toys no? I personally almost wrote a check for the Ariel Atom, until I drive it and it was way too skittish in turns. Currently looking at a WWII sidecar motorbike replica, cool to look at and rides well. Anyone out ther in my situation? Going over to the enemy
Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm happy with my car, but miffed at how equal (or superior) many competitors can perform for a fraction of the price. Just look at the M3 vs. the 997.1, for example. Or a simple Corvette GT vs. any 997 Carerra. Or the new V-8 Mustang.

The argument for a Porsche shouldn't have to rest on an appeal to snobbery of the brand, history of the brand, or mere subjective/aesthetic appreciation of the steering feel & interior looks.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Stop looking and enjoy what you've got.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too wrestled with the Ferrari Bug for a good bit of time. Told my self I had to have one and still most likely will once kids are all out of college. I did tons of research and came to my senses. The upkeep is just not worth it in my op. I would cringe paying 5 k Maint. for older 360 type F cars.

I bought the Targa and just wasnt set on Porsche didnt wow me until I drove a Turbo. So now I am pretty happy where I sit in the Pcar. I have learned to drive the Targa better and found out I was missing alot. The Turbo S will come in this fall and we will go to the next level. My only pitfall with the Pcar is the sound The only Porsche that has a sound that I love is the Carerra GT

The new Ferrari 458 sounds great but I am not impressed with the look of the car. I know I am on the minority side of that opinion but I think the Ca looks better than 458 but I would take a 599 if they want to give me one
Old 06-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Handoogies
Don't know what it is, I want other cars as well in my car group. GTRs are looking mighty attractive price point, Ferraris....thats just a matter of time. Anyone here get car crazy just from all the great toys out there and then think a 911 is just, well, a 911. We are all boys with expensive toys no? I personally almost wrote a check for the Ariel Atom, until I drive it and it was way too skittish in turns. Currently looking at a WWII sidecar motorbike replica, cool to look at and rides well. Anyone out ther in my situation? Going over to the enemy
Hard for any car nut (like most of us) not to lust for something new, it's just a matter of time. But it's just a vicious cycle that never ends. I've learned to love and live with what I buy, and tend to keep my cars for a fairly long time - 8 or more years on average. But with 3 cars (of staggered age) in the stable, I can scratch that itch for something new about every 3-4 years.

I was pretty set on the GT-R for a while. I was even in Japan to see the world premier back in Oct. '07. But the classic lines of the 911 is what I had always wanted and ultimately I decided on the C2S over the GT-R and M3. Now the only cars I lust after are other Porsches. Wouldn't mind a Boxster Spyder, but a GT3RS is the car I really lust after.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:48 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I'm happy with my car, but miffed at how equal (or superior) many competitors can perform for a fraction of the price. Just look at the M3 vs. the 997.1, for example. Or a simple Corvette GT vs. any 997 Carerra. Or the new V-8 Mustang.

The argument for a Porsche shouldn't have to rest on an appeal to snobbery of the brand, history of the brand, or mere subjective/aesthetic appreciation of the steering feel & interior looks.
I don't think Porsche "has to rest" on its snob appeal or history, although many people buy the cars for at reason. We live in a Golden Age of cars, performance or otherwise. The cars mentioned above all have sick performance, some only incrementally better than the others. To get beyond the "mere" performance of our Carreras, you need to take a big step up in cost.

Whether it's a Carrera or TT, what other performance car is as versatile and well made? The true auto aficionado knows this.

While I'm like you and am always looking around and pining for otherntoys, Adias is right--we have to appreciate what we've got. Tracks aside, on our roads, how much more enjoyment is possible? We're damn lucky to have what we've got.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:55 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All part of being a car nut as others have said. Anyone with even an ounce of oil or gasoline running through their blood feels the same way. There's not a day goes by when I don't think about what else I could go buy or maybe should have bought, equally not a day goes by when I don't love what I'm lucky enough to have in the garage already.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:02 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed. I have built a siiick 997 s cab - IMHO - it would now have an msrp of just over $130k as is (wheels etc..). But ofcourse, even though its my dream car, I still think about a similarly equipped 997.2 PDK Turbo Cab atleast 3 times a day. It would have cost me an additional $50-60k to get the Turbo so i passed. I dream about the day I can swap this car for the Turbo. Am I nuts? Probably..Anyone in their right mind would kill for my car but I guess that is one of the things that drives successful people - the relentless pursuit of perfection of the car there is no substitution for...
Old 06-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
Stop looking and enjoy what you've got.
+1

The grass may always seem greener but it's still grass.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

and it still has to be mowed!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:38 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Handoogies
, Ferraris....thats just a matter of time.

Not for me they ain't.

Even if I were to somehow manage a ten-fold increase in net worth I would still never buy one. There's blowing money for a car (Porsche) and then there's getting extorted/robbed of money for a car.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a friend who shows up every two weeks with a different car. No, he's not in the car business. (IT guy). Likes cars. He can't hold onto ANYTHING longer than a couple of months. Pretty much when it needs to get washed he moves it on.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:38 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LlBr
Not for me they ain't.

Even if I were to somehow manage a ten-fold increase in net worth I would still never buy one. There's blowing money for a car (Porsche) and then there's getting extorted/robbed of money for a car.
agreed...if i had $50mm im sure i would own atleast 1 ferrari. But in real life it doesnt get any better than a 997.2 PDK Turbo CAB. To me, its the pinnacle. I dont care about GT3 or even GT2s. I want the Turbo PDK cab. An S would be nice but thats really just an option package plus 30hp. Ill get more HP out of a good flash. When I bought my car 2 months ago i specd my dream Turbo. it came to $160k (not including tint, wheels or other mods). I didnt add a zillion carbon pieces or whatever - just the "RIGHT" options. Maybe I should have stepped up and just bought it. Too late now. it will happen soon enough
Old 06-05-2010, 06:53 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

I agree that always wanting something new is never ending. But, I don't get the posts about never wanting a Ferrari. I recently drove a friend's 360 Spider, and it was an experience. My 997S seemed tame compared to the Ferrari. Plus, these cars are aesthetically beautiful. I'm now in search of a 430 Spider, and likely will get one by next spring.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:01 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

whats the average maintenance per year on a 360 or 430? $5-10k ?

Quick Reply: Is the Grass Greener?