Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Grass Greener?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

The guys who change cars like they change shirts are never happy and never comfortable in their mount.

It used to be that P-car guys drove Porsches because they appreciated the unique dynamics of a 911. The 997 still offers unique dynamics and some owners have them just for that. More and more though people drive Porsches for other reasons (name, looks, power bragging rights). Those are never happy and keep looking around.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:15 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robbonds
whats the average maintenance per year on a 360 or 430? $5-10k ?
I'm not sure but I think the maintenance is less for a 430 -- you don't have the belts that have to be replaced on occasion. I also am told that the newer Ferraris are more reliable and consequently lower maintenance costs. Having said that, maintenance costs don't bother me. What would bother me is if the car breaks down en route and having to deal with the hassle of getting it towed, etc.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

It's a tough thing to get past. I've gone through racing bicycles like many posters go through cars (and I mean 7 to 12 thousand dollar racing bikes). Yes, each one of them had different characteristics that I was able to feel. But when I hit my late 30's I figured out that I cared more about going faster and the bike was not what limited my speed. I got over the need for wanting a new bike all the time. And so it is too with cars. There is always something better but you have to ask yourself, "why do I want a new car?" To go faster or just look better. Either reason is fine as long as your honest with yourself and don't hide behind some silly rationalization. Dump the 911 for whatever makes you happy and don't look back - life isn't a rehearsal and it is, after all, your money.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:12 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
But, I don't get the posts about never wanting a Ferrari.
What's that old saying about maintenance/repair costs? "BMW is very expensive, Porsche is extremely expensive and Ferrari is astronomically expensive." Seriously, some people just don't want astronomically expensive cars, even if they have the money and like cars.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:37 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess my view of all this is that we are trying to inject some rational thought into owning these types of cars, and we may be drawing a line as to what is and is not rational. There are plenty of people out there who would argue that owning a Porsche is irrational, too expensive, maintenance is high, etc. The people on this board ultimately overcame these questions and purchased a Porsche for whatever personal reason they may have -- loving the performance, the aesthetics, the image one portrays by driving these cars, and so on. The point is, there are plenty of Camry owners who may think we are irrational for spending all that money on a 997, but we don't much care about what they think. If a person wants to spend their money in collecting expensive cars, more power to them. I suppose I would have a different view if someone buys expensive cars at the expense of foregoing a kid's college education or jeopardizing their retirement, but assuming he/she can afford it, more power to them.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Handoogies
Don't know what it is, I want other cars as well in my car group. GTRs are looking mighty attractive price point, Ferraris....thats just a matter of time. Anyone here get car crazy just from all the great toys out there and then think a 911 is just, well, a 911. We are all boys with expensive toys no? I personally almost wrote a check for the Ariel Atom, until I drive it and it was way too skittish in turns. Currently looking at a WWII sidecar motorbike replica, cool to look at and rides well. Anyone out ther in my situation? Going over to the enemy
Anyone who thinks a "911 is just a 911", is not very well educated. Your other point of the "enemy", is actually silly. There is no "enemy" out there. I look at my 911S purchase for my 40th B'day as one step in my experiance of owning the best cars the world has to offer. I intend to hold the car probably till im 45 and then make my next big purchase. I will probably go Ferrari or Lamborghini, not out of dislike for the Porsche, simply for the experiance.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM
xXxGhotimanxXx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, sometimes I look and think...then I remember maintenance, registration, insurance, and the fact that I don't even drive what I have as often as I should. Nope, I'm happy with what I have and I remind myself all the time why I bought a Porsche in the first place.

J
Old 06-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I like cars.

I like Audi A3s, I like Toyota Camrys, I like Smart "fortwo" Coupes, I like Boxsters, I like GT3s, I like Ferrari F430s, I like Lamborghini Diablos, I like S-class Mercedeses. Heck, I could have fun with a Morris Marina.

Given sufficient means, I'd own one of each. Right now I only have space for one car -- and I think that a Porsche makes the best track rat/grocery getter/daily driver you can buy. All the options that might tempt me suffer in at least one of those areas.

I also agree with SARGEPUG. I've never thought that a 911 is "just a 911." They're special cars with an enduring appeal and physics-defying performance.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, the grass is greener. Mine is anyway, now.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:45 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Nugget

Heck, I could have fun with a Morris Marina.
First car I ever owned was a 1972 Morris Marina in Teal Blue. Drove it until the wheels fell off. Unfortunately I mean that literally...

I was driving home one day and one of my rear wheels detached... As the rear of the car hit the deck, I saw my wheel roll ahead of me, tracking straight and true right between the two lanes and right between the two lines of traffic. How it never hit an oncoming car I'll never know, but it made its way to the side of the road without incident. Meanwhile, I'm trundling down the street on three wheels, one side scraping the pavement making an unholy amount of noise and sparks. Managed to slow the car down and pulled over on to the verge. Needless to say, the 1972 Marina was no more...
Old 06-06-2010, 03:08 PM
REBor8
Advanced

I've driven the rest. For me, the current 911 is the finest, most comfortable, most practical ride available. I'm 6'4", 210 lbs. and have trouble fitting into and getting comfortable in any Lambo or F-car. Yeah, I covet the sounds made by the Italian mounts, but, then I get back into my 911 and thoroughly understand my passion for Porsches and smile every mile.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm simple to please. I bought my first Porsche at age 19, and have purchased only German cars since I started buying cars. Primarily Porsche, VW, and Mercedes. I have still never driven a BMW. I keep my cars a long time because I get to know them, like a friend. I truly have no desire for a Ferrari because of all the hassles with ownership--where to park it and not go crazy, and having to maintain it every few weeks for minor issues. I'm fortunate that I got into Porsche decades ago, so that I feel quite comfortable working on my own cars.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I'm simple to please. I bought my first Porsche at age 19, and have purchased only German cars since I started buying cars. Primarily Porsche, VW, and Mercedes. I have still never driven a BMW. I keep my cars a long time because I get to know them, like a friend. I truly have no desire for a Ferrari because of all the hassles with ownership--where to park it and not go crazy, and having to maintain it every few weeks for minor issues. I'm fortunate that I got into Porsche decades ago, so that I feel quite comfortable working on my own cars.
Hey Edgy,
You never drove a BMW! They are also great German cars and typically well engineered. Why did you never entertain them? I owned many BMWs, notably a new 99' M3 and I loved it. Also owned an X5, multiple 3 series, a 7 and 5. I never had one serious mechaincal issue w/ one of them. I simply turned to benz now, for a change of pace. Back in the late 90s and early 00s, Benzes were a disaster. They were always in the shop and BMW had it all over them. They have finally recovered from that bad time. I spoke to many a Benz tech, etc and they said the reason was due to the mass model expansion of MB at that time. They actually bit off more than they could chew and the quality of the cars suffered.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:06 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try one of these. It will change your perspective on what is really fast, and make you forever happy and content with the performance of your 911.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:31 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tantos coches y tan poco tiempo.

Quick Reply: Is the Grass Greener?