Death of the Sports Car? - MSN article today

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Yup.

And that's coming, Porsche may be out of the US market in 2016 unless they get a waiver to join the VW CAFE fleet.
Are they not already part of that fleet? Isn't the VW purchase of Porsche complete yet?

The bigger problem is that insane new rule that ties emissions or mileage restrictions on cars based on their footprint size, whereby small cars MUST have super high fuel efficiency, and only BIG HEAVY vehicles can use more fuel. THAT rule is written without consideration of sports cars.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Are they not already part of that fleet? Isn't the VW purchase of Porsche complete yet?

The bigger problem is that insane new rule that ties emissions or mileage restrictions on cars based on their footprint size, whereby small cars MUST have super high fuel efficiency, and only BIG HEAVY vehicles can use more fuel. THAT rule is written without consideration of sports cars.
That may be the reason the 991's wheelbase will be increased by 100mm (about 4"). Another example of government designing cars.

With a longer wheelbase the 911 will lose its characteristic driving dynamics. The true fans will care, the new 911 owners will not know the difference.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sports car? Mine is a kid carry-all. It's so damn functional and practical.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:49 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok

The VW acquisition of Porsche happened after the law was passed, so they need a waiver now. Do you think the current EPA lends itself to giving a waiver to a company that sells cars to "the rich"?

As ADias says - this is why the next 911 is getting bigger so it can move into a lower MPG class.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The VW acquisition of Porsche happened after the law was passed, so they need a waiver now. Do you think the current EPA lends itself to giving a waiver to a company that sells cars to "the rich"?

As ADias says - this is why the next 911 is getting bigger so it can move into a lower MPG class.
To your question - probably not, But OTOH the government gives grants to Tesla, who only sells cars to the rich.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325
True but you live in Cab. Heaven but I don't see how anyone would not notice you in your car. That color should be a chiropractors dream. It should turn heads clean out of socket. I know mine would take turn if I ever saw you drive down I 40 in TN.
I get more looks in a 1964 ruby red 356C!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:43 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
To your question - probably not, But OTOH the government gives grants to Tesla, who only sells cars to the rich.
....and to GM so that they can build the Obamamobile just like Germany had the
peoples car..VW.
If this centralized economy continues on its we will end up with all white cars with low carbon footprints and they will all look the same as the government dictates standards for lightwate fuel efficiency. The rich politicians however will keep their big jets and cars and justify by planting a few more trees.
BTW, at this pace I wouldn't be surprised if stimulus number?5 may have something for the poor to turn in their gas guzzler and the government will finance at a negative 40% interest (think about that one) so that they can by a Tesla.
abe
Old 06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325
Now maybe someone in a smart car might give you a ugly look. But tell the truth how many times you seen one of those matchboxes did you say to yourself damn I want one of those or did you just Laugh?
Uh......a few of us have both. Different cars for different purposes. And I've found in conversation that "typical smart owner" ends up being quite interested in what the Radical is all about. (Not so oddly around here the smart gets more attention than the C4S.)
Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
That may be the reason the 991's wheelbase will be increased by 100mm (about 4"). Another example of government designing cars.

With a longer wheelbase the 911 will lose its characteristic driving dynamics. The true fans will care, the new 911 owners will not know the difference.
Are we sure that's the reason? How much bigger does the car get that way? Can someone dig out the definition of small vs. large cars?

As far as I know there's a separate rating for Trucks/SUVs over a certain size (and hence Subaru changed Forrestor). Also, a MPG rating for cars over certain sales number.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I get more looks in a 1964 ruby red 356C!
My plan is to get this Turbo S but in about 5-6 years I want a 356 Cab to be my for real Toy.

I have not seen one of those in years.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sports cars will always be in demand. Just look at 15 - 20 year old classics - its mainly the most sporty versions of whatever model that are cherished and restored.

My 20 year old VW Golf (Rabbit) Gti still turns heads and I frequently get asked if I would sell it. But I don't think many would do the same for the basic model Golf.

Quick Reply: Death of the Sports Car? - MSN article today