Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS - New Engine or Rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:55 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

sbpsu354 Does anyone have the Engine ID number split where the revised IMS was introduced? I have an 06 C2 and it has an M96 motor in it.

Can anyone answer 'sbpsu354' question, as I too have the M96 engine in my MY06.

I have an M96 too, in my '06 C2.
I was relatively comfortable in the thought that I had an M97 engine, until I looked and saw that I, in fact, had an M96 engine. Pretty disgusted. Dammit.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
This motor has a revised IMS bearing design, just no free horsepower. Although I'd like a power bump (this chassis could certainly handle it) I'll have to go aftermarket to get it. Mostly, I'm just happy Porsche has stood behind their warranty on this and other issues even though the car has been tracked and driven hard from time to time. A big part of why I bought my 997 is due to PCNA never flinching about coverage because I enjoyed my car "too much".
That's interesting. May I ask how you know your "new" engine has the updated (larger) IMS bearing? I'm not questioning your post, rather I was under the impression that the M97 cases were revised to accept the bigger bearing. However, it seems that I may be incorrect in my assumption.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 06-09-2010, 05:36 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

When my failure occurred, I had a long discussion with my dealer about the problem, how Porsche handles these types of failures, how to be sure I got a new motor instead of having the dealer rebuild it on site, etc. Part of that discussion was how likely it would be to see the same failure on the new motor. He explained that Porsche includes rolling design updates within the same generation of motor (e.g. M96, M97, etc.). One of the changes the newer M96 motors have is a revised IMS bearing & bolt design. Porsche is always tweaking their part designs, even within model years, but most of those changes don't show up on a spec sheet or marketing materials.

Quick Reply: IMS - New Engine or Rebuilt?