Sponsored by:

IMS - New Engine or Rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
The engine in my '05 987S (one of the Boxster S launch cars) suffered an IMS failure about 1 1/2 years ago; here's what I know from the experience:

1. Porsche has a policy on this kind of failure that changes from time to time. Back then, PCNA was pressuring the dealership to rebuild the engine, if possible. My dealer worked and argued for a new crate motor, and that's what I got.

2. The remanufactured motor came with all the latest design updates for that generation of motor. This meant updated bolt and crankshaft design to reduce the chance of experiencing this failure again. It also comes with all new accessories attached to the motor (water pump, power steering pump, A/O separator, etc.)

3. Since this was covered under warranty at no cost to me, replacing the motor was the same as replacing the radio as far as warranties go -- when the original vehicle warranty was up, that was it. However, I was assured if the new motor died an early death Porsche would provide some assistance.

4. I have no complaints about the new motor. It doesn't burn oil, stain my driveway, etc.

5. My car is out of warranty now, yet I still manage to get to sleep every night without thinking about it.
Can you please tell us if your new engine has a M96 or M97 engine number?

Thanks!
Joe
Old 06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
jfk308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the feedback. So (paperwork aside) is there any way from looking at the car itself to tell if indeed it is a remanufactured engine with the updates? I assume if I see M97 on it, then the engine is remanufactured and updated. Would that appear anywhere on the car, like the engine stamp for example?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:30 AM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have the Engine ID number split where the revised IMS was introduced? I have an 06 C2 and it has an M96 motor in it.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mschwa3439
porsche does not replace with new engines, but rebuilt guaranteed as new . That is a fact.
My info is the engine can be "rebuilt" (remanufactured is I think the term Porsche uses) or new and by new the engine has never been installed in car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jfk308
Thanks for all of the feedback. So (paperwork aside) is there any way from looking at the car itself to tell if indeed it is a remanufactured engine with the updates? I assume if I see M97 on it, then the engine is remanufactured and updated. Would that appear anywhere on the car, like the engine stamp for example?
If the car fitted with a replacement engine sourced from the factory it came with whatever updates were current at the time the engine made.

The engine serial number will provide you with the engine model number, its size, # of cylinder, and the engine version number and year of manufacturer.

My info is if the engine is remanufactured it has an X stamped at the end of the serial number. I' have never been able to confirm this but as I mentioned in an earlier post to this thread I spotted a new engne going into a 997 and the engine serial number did *NOT* have an X at the end of it. The shop foreman told me the engine was new.

If you have an 05 car and it needs a replacement engine no way Porsche maintains a stock of identical engines from the time frame the original engine was made. The replacement engine is the latest engine for that MY range.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:28 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

So, where do we find the engine serial #, again?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
+1. Ordinarily I would indeed steer clear of a newish car with a remanufactured engine, figuring it might have been abused, and other components (trans, etc.) waiting to fail. In the case of a Porsche however, the IMS failure has a good likelihood to have happened without driver abuse. As the owner of an '05 with original motor, I'm not terribly worried about the potential cost of a failure, only the inconvenience. It's got CPO for another year, and I'll purchase a comprehensive extended warranty then. I'd almost welcome an IMS failure, because I'll get a remanufactured engine with not only an upgraded bearing, but upgraded shaft and other parts as well. Can't get that with a simple LN retrofit. And I would expect that having a reman engine would make the car an easier sell down the road, when it's too old for an extended warranty.
Right there with you. I'm logging as many miles as I can before 2/2011 and the CPO goes bye bye.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Me too.

It's my understanding that the MY 06-08 engines have improvements such as a bigger IMS bearing (among other things) and carry a M97 engine number. I wonder if these reman engines carry a M97 engine number too. As a future buyer, I know I'll only be shopping for a M97 car.

Cheers,
Joe
Now I'm confused. I just looked at the "Certificate of Authenticity" for my 2007 997. It says my engine is a M96/03. The date of manufacture is 11/14/2006.

Is this because it's a 3.6 base car rather than a 3.8 S ?

Last edited by helispud; 06-07-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: correct engine #
Old 06-07-2010, 04:24 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Can you please tell us if your new engine has a M96 or M97 engine number?

Thanks!
Joe
The replacement engine is still a type M96 3.2l. Porsche didn't give me a "free" HP upgrade by fitting an M97 engine, if that's what you're asking. The weather outside is bad right now so I can't get a picture of the serial number, but it did not end with "X"; the consensus being this indicates it is not a remanufactured engine.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
So, where do we find the engine serial #, again?
On a 997 it will be on what looks like a tab on the right side (driver side) of the bottom of the engine, just behind the rear wheel. You may need to clean the block of dirt, etc. to make out the number as this part of the car tends to accumulate spray from the rear wheels.

On a 987, it will be on the right (passenger) side of the car just ahead of the rear wheel. Porsche basically rotated the same engine design 180 degrees to move the mass ahead of the rear wheels for these cars.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by soverystout
Right there with you. I'm logging as many miles as I can before 2/2011 and the CPO goes bye bye.
If, like me, you intend purchasing an extended warranty to take over when CPO expires, you might want to temper your mile-logging with the knowledge that the more miles the car has on it, the more expensive those extended warranties are. In fact the prices weigh more on the basis of mileage than age.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
If, like me, you intend purchasing an extended warranty to take over when CPO expires, you might want to temper your mile-logging with the knowledge that the more miles the car has on it, the more expensive those extended warranties are. In fact the prices weigh more on the basis of mileage than age.
Very good point but I am only at 38K miles and my commute to work is 12 miles each way.

It would be next to impossible for me to log more than 6K miles between now and the end of the warranty.

Thanks for the info though.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
The replacement engine is still a type M96 3.2l. Porsche didn't give me a "free" HP upgrade by fitting an M97 engine, if that's what you're asking. The weather outside is bad right now so I can't get a picture of the serial number, but it did not end with "X"; the consensus being this indicates it is not a remanufactured engine.
Thanks Chris. I was hoping they gave you (and others with M96 issues) a "free" M97 type IMS bearing update.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Track Day

sbpsu354 Does anyone have the Engine ID number split where the revised IMS was introduced? I have an 06 C2 and it has an M96 motor in it.

Can anyone answer 'sbpsu354' question, as I too have the M96 engine in my MY06.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris. I was hoping they gave you (and others with M96 issues) a "free" M97 type IMS bearing update.

Cheers,
Joe
This motor has a revised IMS bearing design, just no free horsepower. Although I'd like a power bump (this chassis could certainly handle it) I'll have to go aftermarket to get it. Mostly, I'm just happy Porsche has stood behind their warranty on this and other issues even though the car has been tracked and driven hard from time to time. A big part of why I bought my 997 is due to PCNA never flinching about coverage because I enjoyed my car "too much".

Quick Reply: IMS - New Engine or Rebuilt?