Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart TOP feature found by dog

Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smart TOP feature found by dog

OK, it was always there. But while I've been totally appreciating the many other great features of this device, I hadn't found or used this one yet. Today I was driving through town with the top down on a bright sunny day. My dog (a whip-smart 18-month-old pug/terrier mix) was buckled in next to me. She likes to stretch out and lay a paw on the console by the ashtray/e-brake area. As I'm cruising at 25-30 in traffic, suddenly to my astonishment I realize that my roof is coming up. That was a shock, since I hadn't touched anything. Then I remembered that there's a 1-touch feature with the Smart TOP, and her paw pressed it.

Dog teaches man a new trick - made my day :-)

Gene
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even dogs know top down is more fun
Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

That's the #1 feature of the Smart Top....and yes, I have it, and yes, we sell them. Great product.

Here....if you need one too.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 PM
HotLap
Racer

Caught - great looking pal you have there!! We recently brought home a Puggle (half Pug / half Beagle) and he's a cutie and an active little guy for sure. Unfortunatley he has some of the Beagle traits (digging, defiance and hard to train) but we are working with him and he's going to make a great pet. Back on topic though, I'm a new Porsche 997.2 Cab owner and am about to order the Smart Top. Would you mind sharing your experience with your smart top purchase/installation/and any issue you might have encountered along the way? I'm pretty familiar with this stuff and would want to install myself if possible. Also, where to get the best deal?

Also, what/where did you get the seat belt fastener for your dog...that looks great - safe yet lets him move around a bit....

Sorry for the 20 quesitons...but T.I.A.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a serious-looking dog!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

sick dog seat belt, i didnt know they made those.lol
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

HotLap - the SmartTOP has been great, but after looking at the installation details I decided to let my dealer do it ($125). They had never done one and thought it was the coolest thing ever. There are, however, excellent and detailed instructions if you search this board (Thanks Dan). I like it a lot, especially being able to open/close the top while walking to/from the car. By the time you get to the door the roof is down. Nothing compares. Now that I've (well, my dog) discovered the one-touch feature, I like the device even more. Definitely worth it - especially if you get in on a group buy like I did (check the other forums, e.g. turbo, for such activity).

My dog's harness is from Four Paws (easy to find online). It holds her snugly and has a big loop on the back to slide the strap through that holds her to the (attached) seatbelt. I don't remember where I got that seatbelt attachment, but it was so cheap I bought one for each car. It's easy to use, adjusts for large or small animals, and holds her in place while allowing limited movement (like when she wants to open or close my roof :-)

Everyone says she's a serious dog. I guess it's her permanent upside-down smile :-( Good luck with your puggle. Mine loves puggles (they're all first cousins or half sisters I suppose).

Gene
Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 AM
HotLap
Racer

Gene, thanks for the feedback and it's definitely her eyes...she looks like there is human intelligence behind them...she would have made a great sidekick in MIB I or MIB II (rather than the pug they used). I'm going to look into getting a Smart Top...did I read that you can enable an audio "chirp" for the alarm system...I'm always having to stand there and make sure I hear the locks activate or I can't tell weather or not it locked...an audible chirp would be welcome for sure. And I agree, I miss that about my 2008 M3 vert - I could be approaching the car and have the top lowered by the time I arrived (not to mention raising the top with the key fob as well)...another sweet function, (that I believe the Smart Top also enables), is the global up/down on the windows - rather than having to slide the window selection switch between the front and rear windows.

thx - Brad
Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Brad - Funny, you're the 2nd person this week to mention my dog and MIB!

The audible chirps (one on open, two on lock) were kind of annoying at first but now I'm used to them and I think they're a good feature. As you say, no more guessing about what security state the car's in. I have found at times that I need to be somewhat closer to the car for the roof function to activate than I used to for just the locks, but that's no big deal. What has been a bit bothersome is that occasionally (while standing outside the car - even next to it) the roof will start up or down and then just stop halfway. It might be because I didn't apply enough continuous pressure on the fob, or some other glitch. I haven't figured that one out yet. When that happens you have to "reboot" by relocking (or unlocking) the car and then pressing again to resume the process. By then you've heard 4 or 5 chirps, so that's kind of annoying. The window feature is as you described, no need to use the toggle bar.

One other little benefit to being able to stand beside the car while the roof changes positions is the chance to appreciate how well-engineered the entire mechanism is. It's fun to watch!

Gene
Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
Brad - Funny, you're the 2nd person this week to mention my dog and MIB!

The audible chirps (one on open, two on lock) were kind of annoying at first but now I'm used to them and I think they're a good feature. As you say, no more guessing about what security state the car's in. I have found at times that I need to be somewhat closer to the car for the roof function to activate than I used to for just the locks, but that's no big deal. What has been a bit bothersome is that occasionally (while standing outside the car - even next to it) the roof will start up or down and then just stop halfway. It might be because I didn't apply enough continuous pressure on the fob, or some other glitch. I haven't figured that one out yet. When that happens you have to "reboot" by relocking (or unlocking) the car and then pressing again to resume the process. By then you've heard 4 or 5 chirps, so that's kind of annoying. The window feature is as you described, no need to use the toggle bar.

One other little benefit to being able to stand beside the car while the roof changes positions is the chance to appreciate how well-engineered the entire mechanism is. It's fun to watch!

Gene
Gene, thanks for the detailed feedback, going to order mine today Did your dealer give you any grief about adding the Smart Top Module and voiding any part of your warranty? Can't wait to get it installed and speaking of well-engineered mechanisms...my M3 retractable hard top was a pleasure to watch opening/closing as well. I really like how quickly the Cab top opens/closes and it's cool that you can be going up to 25/30mph when using the top - most verts won't work above 3mph...
Old 06-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Brad - no issues at all from the dealer. It's supposed to be "invisible" to their diagnostics anyway, but they had no problem in any case. Like I said, they enjoyed the job and results! Good luck with yours.
Gene
Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 AM
MusicCity_997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post, not to threadjack, but for anyone considering installing the smart-top themselves it is very simple and can truly be a DIY install with the provided directions. It takes maybe 30 minutes and if I remember correctly the only tool I needed was a screwdriver. Great product.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 PM
RH512
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MusicCity_997
Nice post, not to threadjack, but for anyone considering installing the smart-top themselves it is very simple and can truly be a DIY install with the provided directions. It takes maybe 30 minutes and if I remember correctly the only tool I needed was a screwdriver. Great product.
Trim tools are very helpful and a torx T-20 to loosen the controller box. Not difficult at all, first time through about 30 minutes being very methodical.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smart TOP feature found by dog