New to the message board - mObridge question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:12 PM
fatboyskim
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the message board - mObridge question

Hi,
I'm new the message board and this is my first post. I just got an '08 C4, and am looking to get my iPhone hooked up. I've read through quite a few posts and the car stereo shop I called suggested the m0bridge over the Nav-TV. I have a few questions I would great appreciate any help on:

1. Is m0bridge really the way to go versus Nav-TV or Denison (I saw the super long thread on this)?
2. I have an iPhone 3GS (and will probably get the new one coming this summer), most of the posts I see use the iPod (nano or regular)... any issues with the iPhone 3GS I should be aware of?
3. I'm planning on going to Peter's Auto Audio in San Francisco... should I be going to a dealership instead? Most of the threads I've read have shown some issues with the dealerships and this install.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Give Tony a call at NAV-TV to confirm compatibility. Tony@nav-tv.com

(He's out of the country right now, but should be back in two weeks).

I generally like my NAV-TV Tooki unit.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:07 AM
swajames
Racer

I have the m0bridge iPod and Bluetooth combo. My dealer recommended it and it works well. If you're ever down in San Jose you'd be more than welcome to take a look and a listen. My dealer pointed me to a local installer rather than them do it.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I've done some extensive research on this (and yet haven't bought any!)

Dension is by far the BEST, iPod integration tool. However, their bluetooth module is not the best, and some have had major issues with it, while some like it.

NAV-TV as far as I know is only Bluetooth, and is pretty good. They may have iPod as a separate unit.

mObridge is kinda the best of both worlds, has pretty decent iPod, while having good Bluetooth with noise cancelling, etc... best part is that it's a combo unit, so easier to install. I had a cpl of people complain about it, but I wasn't sure if it was because of bad install or what?

Key is install, so make sure you pick the right installer. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboyskim
Hi,
I'm new the message board and this is my first post. I just got an '08 C4, and am looking to get my iPhone hooked up. I've read through quite a few posts and the car stereo shop I called suggested the m0bridge over the Nav-TV. I have a few questions I would great appreciate any help on:

1. Is m0bridge really the way to go versus Nav-TV or Denison (I saw the super long thread on this)?
2. I have an iPhone 3GS (and will probably get the new one coming this summer), most of the posts I see use the iPod (nano or regular)... any issues with the iPhone 3GS I should be aware of?
3. I'm planning on going to Peter's Auto Audio in San Francisco... should I be going to a dealership instead? Most of the threads I've read have shown some issues with the dealerships and this install.

Thanks!
Scott
If properly installed all those units are pretty much the same. I have mobridge and I like it. mobridge gives you both ipod and bluetooth. research install prices and unit prices and go with cheapest option you`ll find.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
fatboyskim
7th Gear

Thanks for all the info everyone!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by alexb76
I've done some extensive research on this (and yet haven't bought any!)

Dension is by far the BEST, iPod integration tool. However, their bluetooth module is not the best, and some have had major issues with it, while some like it.

NAV-TV as far as I know is only Bluetooth, and is pretty good. They may have iPod as a separate unit.

mObridge is kinda the best of both worlds, has pretty decent iPod, while having good Bluetooth with noise cancelling, etc... best part is that it's a combo unit, so easier to install. I had a cpl of people complain about it, but I wasn't sure if it was because of bad install or what?

Key is install, so make sure you pick the right installer. Good luck!
Perhaps you can explain why Dension's iPod integration is better than m0bridge?

The limitations of most devices seem to be with how these devices work within the constraints imposed by PCM.

I am sure Dension is a fine unit, but I can't find any compelling reasons why one would think it is "by far the BEST"...
Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FBSlim - great post, I'm in the same boat - just picked up a new 2009 CS Cab, and while it came with Nav/Bose and Bluetooth - no IPod...seems silly to have a preimum sound system (and the corresponding price increase) and not to include the IPod connectivity!! Anyway, that leaves me wanting the IPod hook up and my local Porsche wants approx. $900 for the Porsche parts and install. Would be the way to go but $900 is a bit steep. I've been looking at the same units as you (less the need for Bluetooth of course) and they are still in the $500.00 parts + install range. For prices to be that close - I'd go with the Porsche orig parts/install. However, I'd like to investigate "non-integrated" IPod connectivity (if possible) as I wouldn't really mind running a mini jack to the console and operating the IPod from there...I tend to just hit playlist and shuffle anyway so it wouldn't be quite as important to have the IPod integrated with the PCM - as long as I could hook it up to work with the volume control, etc. I thought I read about the Dension "Fire/Ice" or something like that that provided basic IPod connectivity at about $150...was tired and cant' quite recall all the specs. Good luck and please post your progress.....
Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
fatboyskim
7th Gear

Update: I got the Nav-TV installed at Car Audio Innovations in Roseville (1.5 hour drive for me!). Works great so far. I wish two things worked better:
1. The PCM UI is kinda annoying to use, but this is true of GPS and such as well, so I guess not really a surprise
2. Sometimes when it reloads, it takes a while, kinda frustrating.

Overall though, happy with it.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HotLap
FBSlim - great post, I'm in the same boat - just picked up a new 2009 CS Cab, and while it came with Nav/Bose and Bluetooth - no IPod...seems silly to have a preimum sound system (and the corresponding price increase) and not to include the IPod connectivity!! Anyway, that leaves me wanting the IPod hook up and my local Porsche wants approx. $900 for the Porsche parts and install. Would be the way to go but $900 is a bit steep. I've been looking at the same units as you (less the need for Bluetooth of course) and they are still in the $500.00 parts + install range. For prices to be that close - I'd go with the Porsche orig parts/install. However, I'd like to investigate "non-integrated" IPod connectivity (if possible) as I wouldn't really mind running a mini jack to the console and operating the IPod from there...I tend to just hit playlist and shuffle anyway so it wouldn't be quite as important to have the IPod integrated with the PCM - as long as I could hook it up to work with the volume control, etc. I thought I read about the Dension "Fire/Ice" or something like that that provided basic IPod connectivity at about $150...was tired and cant' quite recall all the specs. Good luck and please post your progress.....
When I looked into this, my local Porsche dealer (Beverly Hills Porsche) wanted $600.00...Check around.

Good luck!

Steve
Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Perhaps you can explain why Dension's iPod integration is better than m0bridge?

The limitations of most devices seem to be with how these devices work within the constraints imposed by PCM.

I am sure Dension is a fine unit, but I can't find any compelling reasons why one would think it is "by far the BEST"...
This is based on the feedback I got from a few dealers of both units. Their reasons:

1. Dension works IN ADDITION to your CD changer. No other unit works with CD Changer (you gotto disable it)
2. According to dealers it's the most stable (no crashes), and fastest interface
3. Longest track record, least troubles

Different dealers that carried both Dension and NAV-TV, or Dension and mObridge, said the same thing... for only iPod, go with Dension, the best... but if you want bluetooth, gotto do the other ones as Dension bluetooth is not as good.

Quick Reply: New to the message board - mObridge question