Sponsored by:

Few photos of happy 997 Rennlister's @ yesterday's Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Do not hurry with tires selection. It is expensive and you need to get it right.
What were you running?
I was running the PS2s that came on the car. I'm going to be picking up a set of wheels/tires specifically for auto-x so that I don't burn up my normal rubber. I'd like to stick with street tires for a while until i get a feel for auto-x. The search begins.

-Alex
Old 06-01-2010, 05:36 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Originally Posted by todd.
I'll be there again in July, looking forward to hanging out again. You think you were tired at the movie, yesterday Alex came over and we waxed his C4, now I'm in the middle of claying, then waxing my wife's car. It's a sauna in the garage, everyday's car related love for me. I need a break before my 3,000 mile CAB road trip Friday.

You know what the real bitch is...it rained here last night, and that mother#^@*#ing tree. The car looked awesome in the garage though. haha

-Alex

P.S. Cam, were you parked on Newbury around noon today? Thought I saw your car.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Originally Posted by thealexman
You know what the real bitch is...it rained here last night, and that mother#^@*#ing tree. The car looked awesome in the garage though. haha

-Alex

P.S. Cam, were you parked on Newbury around noon today? Thought I saw your car.
Alex, I was in the area, but not parked there at any time.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I was running the PS2s that came on the car. I'm going to be picking up a set of wheels/tires specifically for auto-x so that I don't burn up my normal rubber. I'd like to stick with street tires for a while until i get a feel for auto-x. The search begins.

-Alex
try re-11s then, i assume you have 19" rims now? 8.5 and 10.5? or 8.5 and 11?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 PM
erenyes
Advanced

Alex, I'm looking into getting a set of rims and tires for Auto-x also
but will be looking for 18's....
Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Originally Posted by erenyes
Alex, I'm looking into getting a set of rims and tires for Auto-x also
but will be looking for 18's....
That's totally what I'm doing too. Tire Rack has some good deals on OZ wheels and I'll check out the Bridgestones per Paul's recommendation.

-Alex
Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Originally Posted by utkinpol
try re-11s then, i assume you have 19" rims now? 8.5 and 10.5? or 8.5 and 11?

8.5 and 11. I actually just ordered them to replace my beat to hell PS2s, but I'll check them out out also for an 18' wheel. What do you recommend size-wise for an 18' setup?

-Alex
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8.5 and 11. I actually just ordered them to replace my beat to hell PS2s, but I'll check them out out also for an 18' wheel. What do you recommend size-wise for an 18' setup?
-Alex
Did you end up getting the 19" OZ's we talked about last night? I hope you got 19", those wheels are going to look incredible on your car if that's what you got. I would go 18" for AutoX, or use your Lobsters for AutoX and find an appropriate tire to burn through. Anyway, you'll want 19's on the OZ's as they'll be your primary set. Don't forget to check your pressure & torque settings.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
thealexman
Advanced

I ended up just getting rubber for the lobsters. In the interest of fiscal responsibility, and knowing that 18's would be better for auto-x, I cancelled the previous wheel order I had. ...I still can't decide if I should go 19 OZ for primary and the lobsters for auto-x, or do the smart thing and get the 18's. ...vanity's a real bitch, ya know. haha.

-Alex

I checked my buddy's tire pressure today...just to use the gauge. I may have a problem.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

I ended up just getting rubber for the lobsters. In the interest of fiscal responsibility, and knowing that 18's would be better for auto-x, I cancelled the previous wheel order I had. ...I still can't decide if I should go 19 OZ for primary and the lobsters for auto-x, or do the smart thing and get the 18's. ...vanity's a real bitch, ya know. haha.
-Alex
I checked my buddy's tire pressure today...just to use the gauge. I may have a problem.
Alex, get the OZ's 19's with tires, I'm eager to see how awesome they'll look. Lobsters are not the best look, but great for the track. As for AutoX, count the # of times you'll do it a year vs. the OZ's on the other 362 days a year....
What problem?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 PM
thealexman
Advanced

i just...i just think there's something wrong with the tire pressure gauge.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Guys, keep in mind, the FTD was done by a C4S using, essentially, stock tires. It beat out a GT3RS with upgraded rubber and a very experienced driver, along with some other very heavily moded cars. Rubber and all helps, but I think in the greater scheme of things, it makes little difference.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by camhabib
Guys, keep in mind, the FTD was done by a C4S using, essentially, stock tires. It beat out a GT3RS with upgraded rubber and a very experienced driver, along with some other very heavily moded cars. Rubber and all helps, but I think in the greater scheme of things, it makes littler difference.
Good point, plus the hassle and extra expense of having a dedicated AutoX set of wheels and tires for 3 or 4 events a year Probably makes more sense to see how long summers will last, then replace as needed. We're only talking about a few events. Now, if he's doing multiple DE's and a season pass on AutoX, then it might payoff.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 PM
thealexman
Advanced

Originally Posted by todd.
Alex, get the OZ's 19's with tires, I'm eager to see how awesome they'll look. Lobsters are not the best look, but great for the track. As for AutoX, count the # of times you'll do it a year vs. the OZ's on the other 362 days a year....
What problem?

yeeaaah, you're right. stop being logical Todd...i'm not good at that. 4 out of 5 D cupped women agree, the black 19's look badass.

very true Cam, but since I had to replace the rubber anyway, no sense in not exploring all available options.

-Alex
Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

i just...i just think there's something wrong with the tire pressure gauge.
You're one lucky guy, really lucky.

Quick Reply: Few photos of happy 997 Rennlister's @ yesterday's Autocross