Sponsored by:

New 997 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:13 AM
bagombo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997 Owner

Bought a 2006 black on black C2S. Still waiting on delivery and it'll be a couple weeks as I'm in Canada and the car is in the US.

Sport chono, PSE, power seats.

I'd like to buy some wheels for the car and replace the stock lobster forks. I like how the 4S looks (don't like how it drives) so I would like to accomplish as close to the widebody look as possible.

I was thinking these wheels: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-VE...item254d9d853c

But I don't know if they have the right offset or if I need spacers... and if I need spacers, then what spacers and if I need to adjust the camber.

I'm sure people have gone over this before, but I'm looking at these specific wheels so I thought it may merit a seperate thread.

Appreciate all the help in advance. Trolling here over the last couple weeks helped me buy the car I wanted, check the right things, and pay a fair price for it.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wheels look sweet--I'm no help about their figment. How did you find the C4S different than the C2S?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

OMG - You can't fit those wheels on a 997 They look horrid in my opinion.

I love the lobsters on mine but if I had to change I would go for these - stunning on a 997 but I imagine hard to keep clean.

If you want a star design I would recommend these. I think there are few alloys that suit the 997 perfectly but the soft edges and subtle dishing on these just look right on a 997.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:02 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

There are many choices in wheels. The ones you show have the wrong offsets, especially the rear (only 28mm instead of the normal 67mm).

I would recommend taking your time and looking at cars and photos and deciding what you really want, given all the choices. With a C2S the factory offsets are 57mm front, 67 mm rear. You can go to around 50mm front and 55mm rear to push the wheels out, which will give the appearance of a wider back end. Once you know what you want, you might consider watching for used sets to come up on the classified ads and save a bundle.

My car (06 C2S cab) has Champion RG5B forged wheels with 8.5 and 11.5 inch rims, as well as more aggressive offsets. The combo makes the back end look wider, especially with the car lowered about 3/4" and a little more negative camber.

Congrats on the new car.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:14 AM
bagombo
Intermediate

Thanks everyone. The wheels aren't necessarily my favorite, but wanted to get away from the BBS/HRE/Marchesini (bike) design. Not much out there that looks ok on 997s.

Between the C2S and C4S I found the 2 to be lighter, more natural, in the steering and smoother as far as driveline transitions. The 4 just felt a tad heavier and less direct. Hard to explain, but I did feel a difference during some spirited track drives in friends' cars.

Ken, thank you for the technical info. Totally invaluable, I'll make sure to follow that fitment.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:51 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There are so many great options. I am sure everyone likes the ones they have purchased for theirs. You can check out mine in this thread posted the other day: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ve-desert.html

Look at the second picture. I have Kinesis wheels with spacers from H&R Trak.

Enjoy the new car!

-T
Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 AM
bagombo
Intermediate

Thanks tpenta, your call looks great. I'll post up some pics of mine once its ready to go.

Ken, can you tell me if I can use spacers to push out further with a 55mm offset in the back or will it start to rub the fender?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:57 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 224 Posts

Congrats on the new to you 997!

I think the wheels on the 997 below are the bomb! Hehe...

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
OMG - You can't fit those wheels on a 997 They look horrid in my opinion.

I love the lobsters on mine but if I had to change I would go for these - stunning on a 997 but I imagine hard to keep clean.

If you want a star design I would recommend these. I think there are few alloys that suit the 997 perfectly but the soft edges and subtle dishing on these just look right on a 997.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:04 PM
bagombo
Intermediate

Gentlemen,
If someone could please help with fitment:

19 inch Cargraphic wheels. Apparently these are the offsets and wheel sizes. The fronts seem to be way off, but I've been assured by the seller that they fit.

F: 38mm 9inch
R: 50mm 11 inch
Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 PM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

Congrats on the car but those wheels are a NO - NO. Look at HRE instead.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
force4rmr
Rennlist Member

Alot of people use 15mm rear and 7mm front spacers on their oem 19" wheels (offsets F52, R67) to have them flush with the fenders. That effectively reduces the offset to 52mm for the rear 11" wheels and 45mm for the 8" fronts so lets assume this is ideal from an esthetic point of view. The Cargraphic 11" rears have a 50mm offset which is only 2mm less than oem with 15mm spacers, so no problem there. The Cargraphic 9" fronts with an offset of 38 should also be about 1-2mm less than 8" oem fronts with 7mm spacers ( according to my math) so they should be fine as well. Note though that these wheels will sit very flush or ever so slightly proud of the fenders, but this look is what many peolple want from aftermarket wheels.

What style are you looking at?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 PM
bagombo
Intermediate

Why are the wheels a no Jman?

Thank you very much force.

i'm looking for the wide rear end look and though I'd prefer to keep the fronts narrower to exaggerate that look, these are at a pretty good price and hard to pass up. Not much decent stuff comes up in my area.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 AM
force4rmr
Rennlist Member

Not much decent stuff in the Vancouver area ...... try living in PEI !! Everything I buy for my cars is from the US.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 PM
bagombo
Intermediate

I hear ya. I think my new 997 purchase is going to necessitate that I move somewhere south to have sufficient opportunity to enjoy it.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:27 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bgm - congrats on your new ride!! I too am new to the 997, having picked up a new CS2 Cab recenlty...I'm travling and really miss driving the Porsche. I'm not a huge fan of the wheels you posted the link to - but it's really your decison, get what you like and enjoy! I do REALLY like the weels that CamPorsche posted (Silver 997 above) but am happy with the 19" Turbo I wheels mine came with too.

Good luck and enjoy - these are AWESOME cars!!

Quick Reply: New 997 Owner