Pics from Mojave Desert

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:56 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pics from Mojave Desert

Hey gang,

I'll be posting some pics from my trip to Vegas. Here are a couple from a stop at the entrace to Mojave Desert.

While the long road in the middle of nowhere may appear to be a great place to put the car to use, unfortunately, the quality of the roads is very bad. There are also a lot of hills and if you go too fast you'll take flight!

I will also be posting some pics from the Las Vegas Classic Car Museum where they had some nice P cars.

Finally, I'll be posting my video from Exotics Racing at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Enjoy,

-T
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2010, 03:01 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice! Love the wheels... looking forward to more pics.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:13 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
... While the long road in the middle of nowhere may appear to be a great place to put the car to use, unfortunately, the quality of the roads is very bad. There are also a lot of hills and if you go too fast you'll take flight! ...
Those roads are actually quite good and a little 'air' does not hurt anything, if you know what you are doing, that is.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:50 AM
tpenta
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
Those roads are actually quite good and a little 'air' does not hurt anything, if you know what you are doing, that is.
Well, I can't say I know what I am doing but you should have seen what I'm talking about. I don't have a picture of it. The pavement was this strange dark brown color and the elevation change was dramatic and with bumps along the way. Imagine Dukes of Hazzard...

-T
Old 05-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Years ago I was on 58 between Mojave and Barstow and encountered some washboard like hills. The car (Mustang GT) never got air but it could have had I been going faster.

Also, more recently on 95 from I-10 to I-40 or even 95 from I-40 to where it intersects 164 there are a few sections of road where running at near the speed limit (ahem) can have the car getting a bit of air.

You have to be careful though.

Years ago on my 1st motorcycle I was driving on country roads -- gravel mostly -- and enjoying getting air going over rail road crossings. Came to one and gave the engine more throttle and only too late realized this crossing a bit steeper than the others. I landed ok but the far side was lower than the others had been and I landed a bit harder than I would have preferred. Had my approach speed been much faster I might looped or endoed the motorcycle or executed a nice face plant into the roadway.

(Co-worker told me of driving his motorycycle on 95 and coming upon a nice stretch of road and with clear view for miles. Took the bike up to near V-max and then too late spotted the vehicle parked off to one side of the road kind of hidden by the sage brush. Too late to do anything the coworker just motored on past. Sure enough he caught a glimpse at the vehicle and saw the Sheriff's department markings. Coworker looked in rear view mirror and didn't see any signs of pursuit so continued on. Miles up the road came to a gas station and was filling up the bike's tank. In comes the jeep. Sheriff gets out and walks over to the coworker filling up the gas tank. Says something to him like you'd better slow that thing down a bit and with that turns and walks into the station.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:54 PM
tpenta
Racer

I counted 14 separate police cars on my drive back on Friday! Must be because of memorial weekend...

-T
Old 05-30-2010, 11:58 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats too bad that road quality is poor, looks like you could really let loose
Old 05-31-2010, 12:02 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

I counted 14 separate police cars on my drive back on Friday! Must be because of memorial weekend...

-T
that sux, which radar detector do you sport? great looking C2S btw.

really enjoy your photos, looking forward to more.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:17 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

-T
Didn't count them but on way from Livermore over to 99 then south on 99 to 58 and east on 58 over to just outside of Mojave and back again encountered many more than the normal number of bear traps.

My V1 saved me more than once. Not driving that fast but the Turbo stands out and I'm sure if the radar gun flashes red I'll get pulled over. It has happened at least once before and not even in the Turbo.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 AM
tpenta
Racer

Originally Posted by niner niner seven
which radar detector do you sport? g

I don't have a radar detector. I have seen discussions on here with lots of recommendations but haven't purchased on.

-T
Old 06-01-2010, 12:55 PM
signature65
Instructor

That first pic is unreal......best butt pic of a 997
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Marine Corps made sure that I became extremely familiar with the Mojave Desert...Mojave Desert... sorry flash-backs!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Sounds like a fun time, nice pictures too.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun with Photoshop:
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Pics from Mojave Desert