Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to pull trigger, but can't find a car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget about the targa. There are not that many, but the giant roof is nice. Plus you get the benefit of opening the hatch. Fold the back seats down and you can fit a large suitcase in the back.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:32 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Found a great coupe but too bad I want a cab

Originally Posted by pdobbs
Thanks. Saw this. Way too many miles. I'm looking for no more than 10-12K.

On a related note, I found ..literally...a killer deal on an 08 C4S coupe. So much so that I'm thinking of foregoing the cab in favor of the coupe. I'm torn - a great deal on a gorgeous, near new coupe vs. probably the same amount of $ for a cab with more miles (when I find it). I want to pull the trigger on the coupe but feel like I'm going to have cab envy. Anyone been in a similar situation?

Ugh.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:16 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to pull the trigger on the coupe but feel like I'm going to have cab envy. Anyone been in a similar situation?
I am also in the Bay Area, and I had a Boxster S before. Frankly, I do miss some of the convertible moment because Bay Area is such a nice place for top-down enjoyment (hopefully this year's abnormal rain weather is behind us.)

I used to wake up early in weekend morning at sunrise, when the air was clean and dense, perfect 68 degrees with light costal breeze. With heated seat on, I would go out for a top-down solo drive along the CA Highway 1 around Halfmoon Bay. That was a perfect convertible moment.

I would say if you have a Cabriolet envy, be patient and keep shopping.

Regards,
Old 05-31-2010, 04:30 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait for the right cab. You will be sorry very soon if you settle
Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robbonds
Wait for the right cab. You will be sorry very soon if you settle

That's what I say. No compromising means no possibility of regrets later. Just be patient.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:26 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this exact same thought early this morning when I was driving down the road (in my coupe) with the sunroof open and windows down...

And, I realized that I am SO happy that I do NOT own a cabriolet. The sunroof is a pretty big opening...Its enough to get that open feel of a convertible with none of the drawbacks of owning a convertible.

Now, I am sure I will get flamed from cabriolet owners, but...I still think owning a coupe is better...IMHO.

And, if you can find one (pretty rare beast) a Targa may be a great compromise.

Good luck in your search!

Steve

PS: Go drive a coupe with the sunroof open, then drive a cab with the top down. Yes, there will be a difference, but...its all about compromise.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve

PS: Go drive a coupe with the sunroof open, then drive a cab with the top down. Yes, there will be a difference, but...its all about compromise.
I actually did this with the C4S coupe yesterday. I really WANTED to love it. I drove it twice with the sunroof down and all the windows down. Just didn't give me the same feeling.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

sunroof is not even close to the same as a cab..either is a targa...if you want a cab then do NOT settle for anything else
Old 05-31-2010, 08:14 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by 403portside
I actually did this with the C4S coupe yesterday. I really WANTED to love it. I drove it twice with the sunroof down and all the windows down. Just didn't give me the same feeling.
Then that's your answer. Everyone has different needs, wants and desires...That is why Porsche makes coupes, targa's and cabs.

Don't settle. Its just too much $$$ to mess around with second best.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:15 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by robbonds
sunroof is not even close to the same as a cab..either is a targa...if you want a cab then do NOT settle for anything else
Spoken like a true cab owner....

Just playin' around.

Enjoy!

Steve
Old 05-31-2010, 08:49 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

im not saying a cab is better..just different..and if you want one you shouldnt settle for anything else
Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Then that's your answer. Everyone has different needs, wants and desires...That is why Porsche makes coupes, targa's and cabs.

Don't settle. Its just too much $$$ to mess around with second best.

I personally would never own a 911 of any variant without a hard top. I even prefer no sunroof.

I always thought of the cab as catering only to old men in their mid-age crisis who must have a Porsche. But then one day I ended up with a Lotus Elan soft top. Wow, that was fun in the sun. Next thing you know, I was driving an old Alfa Spider. Although the fun sorta ended as it rarely ran well and leaked when there was no sun.

I still can't visualize the cab as a "proper" Porsche and feel other cars that were built purposely as a soft top make more sense. But I certainly understand 100% the reason why people might like them, and I'd never talk anyone out of making that choice. And my snotty stereotyping about them is wrong.

Anyway, bottom line again is don't compromise on what you honestly want and just be patient.

Quick Reply: Ready to pull trigger, but can't find a car!