Sponsored by:

Had the 997 Clear Bra'd yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Had the 997 Clear Bra'd yesterday

Took my car in to my Indie yesterday who had the installer come in and fit the 3M Clear kit on my Seal Gray 997 C2. They are using a thinner plastic now and it is invisible except you have to get used to seeing a line across the lower half of the hood if you have the hood done too. Looking at the car from the front you don't see anything, but from behind you see the hood line. Cost was $740, I don't care, excellent job, no bubbles,cuts etc. Now I don't have to worry so much about stones on the Thruway & Parkway where I live in CT. Recommend highly!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A great investment!

Did you do the headlights, as well? If not, consider film from XPEL (http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp). I use it and can confirm that it's top notch! XPEL is a new Rennlist sponsor, by the way.

Now let's see some pics!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:07 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

If I did it over I'd do the whole hood.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
If I did it over I'd do the whole hood.
Agree. With the full size now available, no reason to put up with the line across the hood anymore.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Only issue left with the full hoods is cost. It is a considerable increase in film usage and labor, so they can be expensive, but certainly that is the best way to go if you can afford it.

On the other hand, 24 inch coverage in Premium film is pretty hard to see as well. The texture is so smooth, it is much harder to tell where the film stops and the paint begins. Here is a pic of one we did a couple days ago on a C6. I put in some arrows on the picture so that you can tell where it ends.
Attached Images  

Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHDX2
A great investment!

Did you do the headlights, as well? If not, consider film from XPEL (http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp). I use it and can confirm that it's top notch! XPEL is a new Rennlist sponsor, by the way.

Now let's see some pics!
Does this distort the headlamp light? I swear that BEFORE I had this done my car was fine, but now afterwards everyone is flickering their brights at me as if to tell me my brights are on (but they're not).
Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It shouldn't. How long ago were they done? If it was recent, there could still be moisture under the cover that is causing some refraction.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Great job on that half the hood XPEL. + 1 for the wrap on the entire hood and front fenders. Even my Porsche dealers have a hard time recognizing the presence of a clearbra on mine even at close-up. Yes cost can be prohibitive but if the car is a keeper, it is well worth it. The angle of the hood on Porsche's make it vulnerable to rock chips even high up on the hood. Now that you have the clear-bra just do some reading on how to care for it. Use the search button for this and beware you can induce swirls very so be very gentle washing it especially with dead bugs on it. The exoskeleton of the bugs easily mars the finish of the bra when you drag it over the film.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Or maybe they removed your lights (often the right way to do it), and one is not aimed properly or loose.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Does this distort the headlamp light? I swear that BEFORE I had this done my car was fine, but now afterwards everyone is flickering their brights at me as if to tell me my brights are on (but they're not).
Haven't had a single problem with mine. I handled the installation myself and was amazed by the clarity of the XPEL film. You'd never know that the bi-xenon headlights had film covering them---no distortion whatsoever.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually a better way to prevent road debris, scratches etc is a full car cover (you will, however, have cut a small hole in the windshield, side and rear windows etc. for better visability):
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scratch damage is my one big reservation with clear film covers. We have two cats and one of them loves to jump up on my 911. Mostly this is not possible for them as the car is locked up in the garage (NO CATS ALLOWED) but sometimes when its parked outside they will sneak up.

I would assume cat scratches would be virtually impossible to remove from the film while most are possible to remove from the paint with scratch removers etc.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:54 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Declaw the cats!
(Ready for flaming from PETA)
Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Actually a better way to prevent road debris, scratches etc is a full car cover (you will, however, have cut a small hole in the windshield, side and rear windows etc. for better visability):
Or you could do this.
Attached Images    
Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
Scratch damage is my one big reservation with clear film covers. We have two cats and one of them loves to jump up on my 911. Mostly this is not possible for them as the car is locked up in the garage (NO CATS ALLOWED) but sometimes when its parked outside they will sneak up.

I would assume cat scratches would be virtually impossible to remove from the film while most are possible to remove from the paint with scratch removers etc.
You are correct that some films cannot be buffed. However, several brands (including ours) can be buffed and polished to remove this sort of thing. I have had a few similar incidents on my own car (black) and I am super picky about these things. Foam pad with 3M Perfect It Machine Polish and they were gone in 30 seconds.