Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had the 997 Clear Bra'd yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010 | 01:38 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Agree. With the full size now available, no reason to put up with the line across the hood anymore.
Agreed - and unlike some cars, the hood on a 911 is sloped toward oncoming debris all the way up - makes no sense to only cover part of it.
Old 05-29-2010 | 04:02 PM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Declaw the cats!
(Ready for flaming from PETA)
+1000
Old 05-29-2010 | 11:20 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XPEL Technologies
Only issue left with the full hoods is cost. It is a considerable increase in film usage and labor, so they can be expensive, but certainly that is the best way to go if you can afford it.

On the other hand, 24 inch coverage in Premium film is pretty hard to see as well. The texture is so smooth, it is much harder to tell where the film stops and the paint begins. Here is a pic of one we did a couple days ago on a C6. I put in some arrows on the picture so that you can tell where it ends.
Hmm I just recently moved to SA and drove my car down last weekend. Had to wash almost every bug from the East Coast off my front end after I got there! Was this car done in SA? If so are you guys local? I may have to check you guys out.

Rob
Old 05-29-2010 | 11:33 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XPEL Technologies
You are correct that some films cannot be buffed. However, several brands (including ours) can be buffed and polished to remove this sort of thing. I have had a few similar incidents on my own car (black) and I am super picky about these things. Foam pad with 3M Perfect It Machine Polish and they were gone in 30 seconds.
Yeah this is a problem, the clear bra seems to scratch pretty easy, I'll give the 3M Perfect It Machine Polish a go, do I need a orbital polishing machine to apply?
Old 05-30-2010 | 03:04 AM
boolala
Race Car

Yes the clear bra can scratch.

So something is needed to protect the clear bra itself.

Perhaps another clear bra on top of it that would be easily removable and would be used as a "sacrificial covering" to protect the clear bra which is protecting the paint.
Old 05-30-2010 | 12:18 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Hmm I just recently moved to SA and drove my car down last weekend. Had to wash almost every bug from the East Coast off my front end after I got there! Was this car done in SA? If so are you guys local? I may have to check you guys out.

Rob
Yes, we are in San Antonio. Come on by and take a peek if you are in the area. We are near the airport at 281 and Bitters.

Yeah this is a problem, the clear bra seems to scratch pretty easy, I'll give the 3M Perfect It Machine Polish a go, do I need a orbital polishing machine to apply?
Not all films scratch easily. You can use orbital or rotary. I used a rotary. Just be sure to test in an inconspicuous area first. The success will depend on what film you have installed.

Yes the clear bra can scratch.

So something is needed to protect the clear bra itself.

Perhaps another clear bra on top of it that would be easily removable and would be used as a "sacrificial covering" to protect the clear bra which is protecting the paint.
No need for all that if you have a film that does not scratch easily and can be buffed if the worst happens.

Old 05-31-2010 | 08:49 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

I got a can of Plexus plastic cleaner and a microfiber towel as a parting gift. I guess I'll spray it on the bug splatter and wait until it's soft and then remove the gunk. Plexus is good stuff, I have used it before on convertible top windows. They have several plastic care products, I've even removed scratches from CD's and DVD's with their polish. And the microfiber cloths are a necessity, they will not scratch.
Old 05-31-2010 | 09:14 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Default Pix of Bra

Here's pix of the car. As far as seeing the plastic, it all depends on the angle. The hood plastic line can be seen from behind but not from the front. The rest is pretty invisible, the bumper is totally invisible. If I would have known the whole hood could be done I would have had it done. But I think the kit they had was for 1/2 hood, and I think they said they didn't do whole hoods. Anyway I'd do it again, the car's a keeper.
Attached Images       
Old 06-01-2010 | 01:24 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Wow, looks incredible! My 2005 had a clear bra when I bought it. It has some small delaminating spots on some of the edges. I may have it redone.
Old 06-01-2010 | 01:37 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sullivas
I got a can of Plexus plastic cleaner and a microfiber towel as a parting gift. I guess I'll spray it on the bug splatter and wait until it's soft and then remove the gunk. Plexus is good stuff, I have used it before on convertible top windows. They have several plastic care products, I've even removed scratches from CD's and DVD's with their polish. And the microfiber cloths are a necessity, they will not scratch.
Sullivas - who did your clear bra and how much did it cost?
Old 06-01-2010 | 08:41 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

The guys who did the work are hired by dealers to do the work, my Indie brought them in but didn't give me their business name, for good reason. I'm in southern CT btw. The whole job was $740 wt, I think dealers are getting up to $1100 from what I was told.
Old 06-01-2010 | 11:29 PM
pttrash
Advanced

Just remember, many of us try to customize our cars, each chip makes it a custom car.
Old 06-06-2010 | 09:43 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

I would do the door handle indents, especially if you take out the ladies from time to time... keeps the finger nails from scratching over time.
Old 06-06-2010 | 09:48 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by NiteJav
I would do the door handle indents, especially if you take out the ladies from time to time... keeps the finger nails from scratching over time.
The door handle indents were done on my previous car (Targa), but I found that over time the edges started to lift. I'd prefer to just polish out the minor scratches.