Seeking Opinion About Brake Caliper Color

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Taxi?
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seeking Opinion About Brake Caliper Color

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased my first P-car, a 2005 C2 in speed yellow/black. I'd like to paint the brake calipers yellow to match the exterior color, but don't want to look like I'm trying to make other owners think I have PCCB when I don't. Please feel free to give me your opinion about yellow, red, black, or other possible colors. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:30 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Go red, adds 15 HP!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxi?
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased my first P-car, a 2005 C2 in speed yellow/black. I'd like to paint the brake calipers yellow to match the exterior color, but don't want to look like I'm trying to make other owners think I have PCCB when I don't. Please feel free to give me your opinion about yellow, red, black, or other possible colors. Thanks.
Keep the black ones cleaned and waxed (not wax that turns white though) and they look good with yellow - inexpensive as well!

It's your car though - I would do what you like and not worry about being thought of as a PCCB wannabe.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think black looks sharp against speed yellow, or I might even consider painting them titanium. I personally wouldn't paint them red or yellow (if they didn't already come that way au naturel).
Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I really don't get the while painted caliper issue with Porsche. Years ago they didn't paint them at all and they worked just fine. Now you have to worry about getting them dirty. Keep in mind that the PCCBs are so much cleaner running that with a yellow caliper there isn't much needed to keep them clean. If you take a regular iron rotor and tangle it with a yellow brake caliper one of them is going to get dirty!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxi?
Hi Everyone,

Congratulations on your purchase!!!

I think the stock look is hard to beat, so my vote is to stick with the caliper color as delivered.

Now, let's see some pics!!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

You are probably going to be one of the few people who notice so if you have to pick a color make it something that are comfortable with and doesn't make you feel like a poseur (yellow painted standard brakes vs. PCCB's). That said, one thing to keep in mind is that if you pick any other color than black and have a rim that doesn't permit easy access (e.g. Classics) you will have a more difficult time cleaning them thoroughly.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

A brake caliper is butt ugly. Why do they paint them? So insecure guys can practice one-upsmanship with each other. "Oh you got the yellow brakes, that means yours are better."

What is funny? All red brakes are not the same. So a guy in Boxster can come up to a guy in a Carerra and say, "Hey, We've got the same brakes." In fact the only thing that's likely to be the same about them is the color! My point: What is the point of coloring the brakes? My answer: just for bragging rights.

In comp below I like the black calipers better! Without the "look-at-me" calipers, the mind's focus is allowed to concentrate on the gorgeous body of the car. It's a more pure form of Porsche-itude.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Speed yellow calipers were a production option before PCCB's 5 years ago.

Tell 'em you're going 'retro'.

BD
Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
In comp below I like the black calipers better! Without the "look-at-me" calipers, the mind's focus is allowed to concentrate on the gorgeous body of the car. It's a more pure form of Porsche-itude.
To each his own. I like the red accent.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I would leave it as is. I don't care what colour, but don't think you can ever do as good of a job painting the calpiers as OEM and whatever color you do it may end up looking worse than stock!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:19 PM
rpalomo
Instructor

Paint them- It isnt always about saying that you have better brakes, thats only for people who think that way ( i find it odd). If you are like me where I make sure my pants match my socks, I would paint them a color to match well with your car or wheels...if you have black rims get yellow with black porsche writing
Old 05-27-2010, 04:16 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rpalomo
Paint them- It isnt always about saying that you have better brakes, thats only for people who think that way ( i find it odd).
Not to split hairs here but I think Porsche itself created some fanfare in their brochures about the brakes being painted red to intentionally designate them as "better." I could be remembering wrongly but I don't think so. I'm sorry I don't have the exact reference.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default paint them or not

Don't spend to much time worrying about what others think etc... if you like a color and want some contrast etc paint them..... if people are going to judge you, your car, etc based on your caliper color then these are the people you would to stay away from in life IMO.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM
akim47
Racer

yellow would look nice i suppose... and i think speed yellow is different than the color of pccb's. to each his own. don't you also need decals for the rotors? i think you can order them from suncoast.

if you are going to do this as a diy project, that's cool. if you are going to pay a couple hundred to have them painted, there are other things you might consider that will make you enjoy the car more like the factory SSK...

Quick Reply: Seeking Opinion About Brake Caliper Color