Sponsored by:

Question for cabrio owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Ehh..., Apologies to cab owners..., looks are weird. Unless it's great weather every day I'm gonna go for the coupe every time.
I've owned both a 997 coupe and a 997 cab - both are great cars, but the cab has transformed ownership for me. You can put the roof up on a cab, you can't take the roof down on a coupe. Your connection to the car and to the outside environment, your ability to hear the sound of your engine, your ability to hear the other mechanical noises our cars make, the feeling of speed relative to your actual speed - all are turned up to 11 in the cab. One often overlooked pleasure in the cab is evening and night driving - cabs aren't just for sunny days. Looks are, of course, subjective but for me I don't see any extra beauty in the coupe - and I get exponentially more compliments about my cab than I ever did about my coupe.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@LlBr
Are you kidding me, CABs look great top up or down, but the fun is down
Attached Images   
Old 05-25-2010, 05:03 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have friends that know very little about cars. If the cab is the car you like, buy it, you will enjoy the hell out it. I am getting ready to do a 5000 mile trip in my cab and looking forward to every mile with the top down.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by swajames
I've owned both a 997 coupe and a 997 cab - both are great cars, but the cab has transformed ownership for me. You can put the roof up on a cab, you can't take the roof down on a coupe. Your connection to the car and to the outside environment, your ability to hear the sound of your engine, your ability to hear the other mechanical noises our cars make, the feeling of speed relative to your actual speed - all are turned up to 11 in the cab. One often overlooked pleasure in the cab is evening and night driving - cabs aren't just for sunny days. Looks are, of course, subjective but for me I don't see any extra beauty in the coupe - and I get exponentially more compliments about my cab than I ever did about my coupe.
Completely agree, and night driving can be surreal on the highway at speed.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:15 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russo
I am getting ready to do a 5000 mile trip in my cab and looking forward to every mile with the top down.
Same here, wife and I are taking a 3,000 mile southern road trip next month from Mass - Pennsylvania - Tennessee (Tail of the Dragon) - Alabama - Georgia - S&N Carolina - Virginia..., only because we have a CAB. Having a CAB gives me thirst for driving places and enjoying life. I've had 997 coupes, wonderful cars, but half the overall ownership experience from my perspective.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:18 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
@LlBr
Are you kidding me, CABs look great top up or down, but the fun is down
Yeah. I deleted my comments. Didn't want to start a ruckus. I might have waited and bought one if my weather were more consistently SoCal-ish. Otherwise they look a little funny. No biggie. I'm sincerely glad you guys are happy with them and enjoying the fresh air.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

My in-laws say many of these very things, and it is the standard macho critique of convertibles. You and the Boxster owners will have to take it for sure.

Also be ready for people to talk smack to you, call you names, say mean things, etc. while in the car itself. People hate Porsche drivers it seems, and love the opportunity to annoy one at the stoplight with his top down.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LlBr
I would buy one if my weather more consistently SoCal-ish. Otherwise they look a little funny. No biggie. I'm glad you guys are happy with them.
I love the Turbo, had one, incredible, and do agree that the Turbo CAB just doesn't look good to me, too much going on, lines are broken up by the convertible top, and it looks awkward with the large rear spoiler. The Turbo Coupe was my favorite look of all my 997's, damn I miss that car, but love my C2S CAB.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2010, 05:35 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Also be ready for people to talk smack to you, call you names, say mean things, etc. while in the car itself. People hate Porsche drivers it seems, and love the opportunity to annoy one at the stoplight with his top down.
What??? I get complements spoken and yelled at me almost every time I drive my CAB, often by unexpected people, like punk teens & burly men, even cops.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the Turbo, had one, incredible, and do agree that the Turbo CAB just doesn't look good to me, too much going on, lines are broken up by the convertible top, and it looks awkward with the large rear spoiler..
Yes. Thanks for reminding me. The wing totally is not my favorite part of my car (a coupe obviously). Add the wing to the rag top and the "junk on the trunk" thing starts to add up. Here's a comp but adds the 997.2 tail lights to the question too. Again, no biggie.
Also, I forgot about the smaller cab window, BTW.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Well said.......
Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of my 911's have been cabs. I loved the 928 but still missed the open top action. I love it when I can leave the top down and take a nice ride. It is a matter of personal taste IMHO.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've since added a Boxster and God only knows how much I love driving this P-car with the top down! I recommend the following:

Give your buddies a ride in the convertible and soon they will follow.

or

Get new friends like someone already mentioned here.

Don't be a player-hater. : )
Old 05-25-2010, 10:34 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i got sick of people asking me if it was a boxter and sold it for a coupe.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

What??? I get complements spoken and yelled at me almost every time I drive my CAB, often by unexpected people, like punk teens & burly men, even cops.
Ok, I get good ones too but they don't make up for the nasty ones. Also maybe it's that Arizona is such a hick state. I swear a couple of folks have tried to throw their cigarette butts into my interior too.

Quick Reply: Question for cabrio owners