Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon video clip, if you've got a few minutes, it's fun.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:02 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool vid, the GoPro is a handy cam for sure. Nice production job.
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

i assume your car is a manual. why do you always upshift then immediately downshift? nice video. what time and day was this for the traffic to be so light?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:31 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks Bruce. I have lived in NC for most of my life, and have never driven that road.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:32 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate that you had selected ECO during the run....no A/C necessary for that run. Nice apex's too.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:43 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
For Bruce and others that are from the area. Seriously thinking of taking my 13 yr. old son on a road trip to the dragon and BRP. Is there a suggested route, say if I want to spend 2-3 days in the area?

Also, was going to ask about cops but you came close (in more ways than one!). I would imaigne the tail is heavily patrolled? Also, someone mentioned getting in before memorial day, which won't be possible. Are there better days of the week/times where it would be less crowded? thanks.
If you're interested, check out this link - http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ . Lots of information on area rides as well as descriptions of police hangouts, best times to tour, etc... I was up there last week and had a blast.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
i assume your car is a manual. why do you always upshift then immediately downshift? nice video. what time and day was this for the traffic to be so light?
I'm trying to stay in the meat of the powerband, I only change into third where I'm pretty sure I'll top out the revs in second. Dragon corners are almost custom made for my 2nd gear ratio and allow a full throttle exit at apex if needed. Additionally I've just had AWE cats fitted to the car and the exhaust is absolutely intoxicating during heel and toe downshifts.
I ran the Dragon after 7PM. The Dragon always has two patrol cars on it and by the turn around I'd seen both and could thereafter drive at will
Old 05-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, another great video by Bruce! I just love that camera and have been thinking of buying one in the next couple months!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Bruce,

Nice video!

Did you suction cup the GoPro at the rear window for in-car videoing? or some other mounting method?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
If you're interested, check out this link - http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ . Lots of information on area rides as well as descriptions of police hangouts, best times to tour, etc... I was up there last week and had a blast.
thanks very much that was very helpful.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Thank you all for the kind words, it was truly fun both driving it and then putting the clip together.

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I was going to ask if you after seeing your last post of this adventure with all the early morning shots if you were flying solo. (didn't think you'd be getting all the females in your house up at the crack of dawn on a weekend for a spirited drive) Video answers that question. Took a weekend for yourself? Or was this just a one day drive?

Phil
Girls at home with Granny, my wife and I trailered (borrowed Trailex) the 911 behind her LR3 to Asheville, 250 miles, where she was teaching for the weekend. I took off and did 500 miles in a day and a half west of Asheville.

Originally Posted by slider
I appreciate that you had selected ECO during the run....no A/C necessary for that run. Nice apex's too.
Thanks. Great weather in the low 70's no need for any AC most of the weekend.

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Nice video!

Did you suction cup the GoPro at the rear window for in-car videoing? or some other mounting method?
Thanks. Indeed suction cup'd the GoPro, upside down, on the inside of the rear window.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by E55AMG
For Bruce and others that are from the area. Seriously thinking of taking my 13 yr. old son on a road trip to the dragon and BRP. Is there a suggested route, say if I want to spend 2-3 days in the area?

Also, was going to ask about cops but you came close (in more ways than one!). I would imaigne the tail is heavily patrolled? Also, someone mentioned getting in before memorial day, which won't be possible. Are there better days of the week/times where it would be less crowded? thanks.

i will add that tail of the dragon has massive cops since its a 11 mile stretch and there have been numerous fatalities (most if not all motorcycles) so police patrol has increased. i have been on other sections of the BRP numerous times and never encountered NC's finest. it’s a 500 mile stretch so 2-3 days....?? you decide how fast you can throw 3rd to 4th. the route is long so if you get behind persons which is inevitable, you can throw into 2nd and rip to the left the slow traffic. you'd likely be coming from the north and starting in VA, tail of the dragon is located roughly 500 miles later at the south most end of the BRP. good luck, enjoy, and if i see you its thumbs up. i hope this helps.

Last edited by niner niner seven; 05-19-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:15 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

"we will be victorious" - Muse
Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Great I may have to try it on my upcomming relocation road trip this weekend from Va to Tx. Have yet to pick a route.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 AM
ericthepilot
Racer

Here is some more Go Pro camera action in case the 997 is in the shop you can have a look ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTebEekJwi4

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon video clip, if you've got a few minutes, it's fun.