So many old Porsches in Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:33 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default So many old Porsches in Sonoma

Hey gang,

I spent the last 5 days up in Sonoma and couldn't believe how many 356 and 912 cars I saw on the roads or in garages.

My wife got sick and tired of me talking about them the whole time.

I guess the area has a lot of Porsche fans.

-T
Old 05-18-2010, 02:26 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the feeling - it's the same way here in Vancouver. Not lots of vintage stuff, a few nice 3.2's and 993's - the odd 996. But Carreras and Turbo 997s infest the streets around here.

I'd bet serious bucks that there's no jurisdiction with a higher average $/lb rolling around the streets than the traffic flow from West (highest tax bracket in Canada) to downtown Vancouver.

My GF's eyes start to glaze over pretty quickly as I'm busy pointing out why 3.2's and 964s are indeed classic and possibly the epitome of Porsche-ness and why an "S" badge on a 993/996 is a bit special even compared to a 997.

Porsches here are equivalent to Civics and Corollas elsewhere. If you want cache you need to roll in a Lambo, Bentley or Ferrari - and it better be an interesting color or even those get little attention. This place is worse (better?) than Rodeo Dr for crapsake. Even Audi "blades" get yawns these days - they had bling value for a while, but the R8's seem to be breeding like rabbits lately. Whoever orders a silver R8 with a silver "blade" must be very uninteresting to hold a conversation with. Nissan GTRs are about the only "cheap" car with bling owing only to the apparent, wise controls Nissan keeps on their numbers.

Sonoma is laden with nice vintage stuff of every description (mainly people). I stopped in for a few days this spring and was quite impressed with 2 MG A's in the parking lot at the Fairmont (highly recommend that place BTW) as well as the number of classic Porsches I noticed in the neighbourhood.

Really nice to see the vintage stuff rolling around, Sonoma indeed seems to have an excellent density these days.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
Hey gang,

I spent the last 5 days up in Sonoma and couldn't believe how many 356 and 912 cars I saw on the roads or in garages.

-T
Right in my neck of the woods. You're right...there are lot's of nice Porsches in this area, and some good roads to enjoy them on.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by tpenta
Hey gang,

-T
i run into the same problem w my girlfriend. she gets sick of me talking about carreras and hates when we are somewhere and i stop to talk 911 w another owner. i think she needs a dose of reality - go find some guy who drives a toyota.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:18 PM
akim47
Racer

my constant internet viewing of p-car ****, turning my head at the mere sound of a PSE exhaust note, and pointing out all variants of the 911 on the road (along with an explanation) led to my wife exclaiming "Will you just get it over with and my the g$d-darn thing already!"
Old 05-19-2010, 08:09 PM
timmp
Intermediate

there was also a porsche concourse in Sonoma last weekend.

t
Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 PM
edgybob
7th Gear

I live next door to sonoma (sort of) and almost never see another 911 of any age.... Mike in Ca, what roads are you talking about? I live west of Petaluma and the roads around here are nortoriously poor.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by edgybob
I live next door to sonoma (sort of) and almost never see another 911 of any age.... Mike in Ca, what roads are you talking about? I live west of Petaluma and the roads around here are nortoriously poor.
In terms of layout, location, scenery there are some pretty nice places to drive, although as you point out, many road surfaces in Sonoma county are indeed pretty bad. We don't have to venture far, though, into Marin, Napa or Mendocino where road quality is better and the scenery is still great. I was referring more to the general neighborhood in this part of Northern CA, not so much Sonoma County in particular. Show up at our next autoX at the Sonoma County airport, you'll see plenty of 911's.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 PM
edgybob
7th Gear

I have to drive down my own street about 10 mph so i don't bottom out. I will come out to the next autox. I can't drive worth crap, but don't mind the abuse. How do I find out when the events are? Also, which airport is the "Sonoma County" Airport? Petaluma or Santa Rosa
Old 05-20-2010, 06:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I have to drive down my own street about 10 mph so i don't bottom out. I will come out to the next autox. I can't drive worth crap, but don't mind the abuse. How do I find out when the events are? Also, which airport is the "Sonoma County" Airport? Petaluma or Santa Rosa
http://www.clubregistration.net/

Or just check your local PCA chapter. And you might consider "drivers ed" events. At the novice level it is very easy on your car and you will have a blast.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

The link below is to the Redwood Region PCA homepage. The "calendar" tab will tell you when the events are, and the "autocross" tab will give you info about the events and has a link to directions to the site. Several of us wear "instructor" name tags; look for an instructor and we'll be glad to help you with tips, info, and ride-alongs. Sonoma County Airport is located north of Santa Rosa. Hope to see you there!

http://red.pca.org/

Quick Reply: So many old Porsches in Sonoma